“More cons than pros” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Stonington
Ellsworth, Maine
“More cons than pros”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2012

My family and I booked two rooms on New Year's Eve to save a lot of money while visiting Foxwoods casino. I booked the room without reading the reviews.
Upon reading the reviews, I was mortified. I wondered if I should cut my losses and just book a different hotel, but I had hope because some reviews said it really wasn't that bad.
We stayed there anyway. The hotel is not in a bad part of town. It's actually in the middle of nowhere and we would have never found it if not for the GPS. The outside was not extremely well lit, and the appearance was average. The clerk was not anything special. He asked me for my credit card info, which I had already entered online. When I told him that, he looked through some paperwork and I saw my entire card number on the paper (which I'm pretty sure is illegal). He gave me the old fashioned room keys and sent us on our way.
The two rooms I booked together were as far away as they could possibly be. But oh well.
Upon entering the room, it was about 30 degrees colder than the outside temp, but we got the heater going in good time. The room was extremely old and run down. The carpets were stained and all electrical outlets and windows were all painted over. It was hard to find an outlet that worked. The TV was definitely 13", but it didn't work so it really didn't matter. There was a microwave and small fridge, but that really didn't matter because They weren't near the working outlet.
Oh, and the smell. It was pretty strong. It smelled like they were keeping billy goats in the next room, but I have no evidence to back that up. The bathroom was very outdated and the faucet and toilet were loose. Before I would have a seat on the John, I would have to say a little prayer that the toilet wasn't going to fall through the floor. The shower was a stall shower and the water was hot and the water pressure was real good too. The hair dryer on the wall looked like it came over on the mayflower, and I would not suggest using it.
The beds were surprisingly comfortable, the bedspreads were questionable, and the sheets were nice and surprisingly clean. There were only two pillows, and I dared not ask for any more.
We did not spend much time at the room, as we stayed at the casino until early morning. We slept in until about 9 am or so the next day. Upon leaving the room, the not-so-friendly maid took my key and her counterpart who did not speak English, grunted and motioned to my hubby, demanding to bum a cigarette.
The moral of my story: you get what you pay for. If every hotel in proximity of a tourist destination is $250++ per night and you find one for $100 per night, beware. We only needed the room to sleep and shower, so it definitely did the trick. I definitely won't be making a return trip to the Seabreeze America's best inn!

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank jims_auto

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Poole
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2011

This is not a place that I would recommend to anyone. We asked for a bath and the plugs didn't work. The blankets were torn. It was really expensive and the only redeeming feature was its proximity to Stonington which was a beautiful place and we had a lovely meal at the Dock.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Stonington hotels

Albany, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2011

I needed a room quickly. as we made last minute plans to bring my daughter to college a day earlier. The Sea Breeze boasted a large room with two large beds. The pictures seemed to display a quant seaside inn, but it was far from quant.

The room was indeed large and did have two large beds. The first thing we noticed beyond that was the musty smell of dead air and the old dark ugly carpet. The second thing we noticed was the mold in the bathroom shower and on the floor..Feeling like we could manage to stand it for one night, we forced open a few windows and went out to dinner. When we returned, we decided it was time to turn on the air conditioner..air came out, but it wasn't conditioned..we decided to watch a little tv, so we opened the large tv hutch..there in front of us was a 10 year old 13 in color tv..sitting so lonely in the large hutch..this so so unbelievable, we could do nothing more than laugh...after an hour, it was shut eye time..so we thought. Between about 11:30 and 1:00, it seemed that a small army arrived in waves, stomping up the stairs next to our room and proceeding to stomp on the floor above us,.we thought the building was going to come down..needless to say this place has serious issues dampening noise...but, somehow the noise eventually subsided and sleep ensued..The next morning, we got a bit more close and personal with the bathroom...no wonder the floors were moldy..the shower installation causes water to go all over the floor..but the worst of it was actually noticing the old shower curtain had been "repaired" a number of times by tying knots in it...stepping out of the shower revealed the rot at the base of the vanity..the capper was that the courtesy blow dryer was broken..

In brief, paid enough money for one night to expect a nice, clean room and even a continental breakfast...instead, the accommodations were something one would expect to pay for by the hour..not the night. Strongly recommend looking elsewhere. The only positives..the manager provided a replacement blow dryer..and for some reason our bill came to less than the original quote. Unfortunately, it was still way to much for this place.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank bikerduke0
lynn,ma
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2011

reserved a room for the long weekend. ended up coming home could not sleep there brought my mom was embarassed .bedspread was stained on the underside curtains were falling down terrible smell i could go on booked at a high rate but felt i could deal definately couldnt. dont be decieved by the pictures

Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank dollyLynn_ma
Bradenton, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2011

Stay away from this place! We booked online because we couldn't find a hotel in Mystic. The place was moldy, the curtains were falling off the wall.
I have allergies, so I knew I couldn't stay there..just walking in the room made my eyes and nose run and a headache start. When we went back to the front desk and told them there was no way we could stay, they first wouldn't cancel the room and give me my money back. After arguing for 10 minutes I finally paid $50 to cancel the room..at least I didn't get dinged for the entire $179. that they were asking! Went into Groton and found a nice Hilton Gardens.

Room Tip: Stay away...Go to Groton for a nice Hilton Gardens
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mama G
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2011

When my boyfriend and I arrived, the office AC was on high so it was freezing, maybe to cover up the nasty odor. It was $100.00 for the night most everyone else was sold out so we found this place online (Big Mistake) Please always read the reviews! Small ants crawling up walls, odor was so bad we went to a store bought lysol,candles and spray. We slept on top of the covers with our clothes on. I had a blanket in the car so we used that. Left the AC on all night. Did not use shower there, didn't even use their water to brush my teeth, used a bottle of water I had. They Do Not have Ice Machine and I'm not sure if the soda machine worked. These people should be out of business - On a scale 1 to 10 I give if a complete ZERO!!!!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JeannieChambers
Hicksville, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2010

I don’t understand people - many harsh reviews. I booked the sea breeze prior to reading the reviews as I drove to the hotel my husband started to read reviews to me and scared me to death I thought I have booked us into a nightmare. When I pulled up I was happy. it was a cute 2 floor building with a gazebo on the side. The building was white with a pretty blue on the doors and shutters. When i checked us in there was a young girl who checked us in within minutes and advised we were in room 8 on the second floor we drove up and went thru a door which had a stairway at the top was three doors it looked like an apt.
We opened the door to our room scared of what to find to our surprise we were relieved. You open the door to a small hallway with a door (the bathroom) and to the right was arch which led to the bedroom inside the bedroom was a queen sized bed with a desk a mini fridge and microwave. There was a TV and a closet also. There was also a giant photo (from top of wall to bottom) of a pretty scene which I believe might have been tropical. The bathroom was a nice light blue and very clean. There was no tub only a shower which was fine with me. although i disagree with most people’s comments like no hot water or small towels some of the stuff I think people are just making up as this was NOT an issue but agree with a few comments so here is list of my pros and cons

Pros :
it’s about 6 minutes away from the aquarium and sea port and mystic
The room was clean
It was nice with the mural and also flowers above bathroom mirror
Had a descent selection of TV channels
Had wireless internet (it would cut out once in a while but only took a second to bring back up)
Had a mini fridge and microwave which came in handy
The bed was soft
The towels were soft and smelt clean

Cons
Although the bed was soft there were only 2 pillows so that was a little uncomfortable.
Although there was a gazebo it was a bit overrun with bushes in the entrance so you would have sneak past the bushes to get in
The toilet flush was my biggest issue u could only get one good flush out of it like once an hour and you needed to hold down the handle to get it to really go down
The hallway had a light smell
There was a crack in the wall and the furniture was a little hard to open and had a cupple of chips but overall the sea breeze was a nice place to spend a few days and was reasonably priced. Next time I go to CT I wouldn’t mind staying there.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stonington
Inn at Mystic
Hilton Mystic
Hilton Mystic
#5 of 13 in Mystic
Howard Johnson Inn Mystic

Been to Americas Best Value Inn-Stonington/Mystic? Share your experiences!