“One word - ick”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Stamford / New York City
Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Stamford
Reviewed August 19, 2008

I stayed here for a business trip and the room was filthy. I have stayed in plenty of 1 and 2 star hotels throughout the US and Europe. I can handle cheap, worn, tired, and dated. However, this was disgusting. Candy wrapper and food bits on the floor. Multiple hairs in the shower. Large red stain on one of the towels.

Room was tiny, and came with complimentary ear plugs. The toilet was installed at an angle and the bottom of the bowl was stained brown. Sink was a pedestal, so there was no room for toiletries.

I was afraid of the free breakfast considering the hotel's lack of ability to clean their rooms.

The only positive aspect of staying at this hotel was the restaurant next door.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for La Quinta Inn & Suites Stamford / New York City

Reviewed March 8, 2008

This is the same hotel that used to be a Suisse Chalet and they have not made any noticible changes.

The front desk people are very helpful.

But the rooms are poorly set up and the cleaning people did not clean my room. They claim there was a do not disturb sign and thats why.

But tthe biggest problem was the noise from the highway and the heating system made it difficult to sleep.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed October 11, 2007

Horrible customer service. I had requested one more night stay and and by 12:15PM the front desk or either the supervise call me saying that I if I did not leave the room in 20 m they'd call the cops on me.I was terrified !Later on I found out that the front desk lady on duty on that day got jealous because I tiped the other lady for been helpfull with me on my first day in town.So ,she called the supervisor telling that I had not paid for my staying at the night before.I have been traveling a lot,and as you can see I am a foreing visiting town and more than that spending money on this country to be treat like that!
Also on this night , I had called the front desk to request more pillows and towels for my friend satying in my room since we were in town visiting.I ended up having to call five times. They told me that there were no more pilows or towels available. Other than the customer service, everything seemed okay. Just the noise and staff are not worth at all.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled solo
Reviewed July 24, 2007

We stayed at the La Quinta for one night in July 2007 for a rate of $134 plus tax= $150 by booking at the hotel website with an AAA rate. I would have preferred to stay elsewhere, but it was a last minute booking and most other hotels were full. Anyway, as you can see from my pictures, the hotel is a big ugly yellow building which is attached to a diner restaurant. When we arrived, we were given the choice of 3 empty rooms to choose from. I told the clerk whichever room they thought was the nicest as long as it wasn't near an ice machine. Needless to say, we got a room at the very end of the hall right next to the ice machine! We went with it though, and did not complain. Also, the elevators do not go down to the lobby. You have to get on/off the elevator and carry your luggage up/down 2 sets of 3 steps to get down to the lobby and out the door or to get up to your room. If you have rolling luggage like I do, be prepared to have to stop and hand carry your luggage up these steps.

I guess they are renovating the hotel right now and I "think" our room had already been done (but did not look that way). It looked ok from first glance (and looks ok in the pictures); however, the bed linens were sort of nasty. The linens looked worn, I found a few stray hairs, and a few of the pillowcases had a musty smell. Also, I started to feel itchy all over when I went to bed and noticed a rashy bumpy area in the crook of my arm. I don't know if I was getting bitten by bugs or what! I would have called down and asked for new linens if it hadn't been so late already. I actually ended up sleeping in my clothes (long sleeve shirt and pants) and put a t-shirt over the pillowcase. That seemed to help get me through the night.

I kept noticing a flickering light above the armoire which kept waking me up. I could not for the life of me figure out where it was coming from. Finally, I got a chair and looked at the top of it. There was a long fluorescent light that was attached (why, I have no idea). I traced the cord and unplugged it. Another problem, was the alarm clock would click and hum once an hour. Needless to say, I had to unplug that too. The bathroom was ok, but the towels were sort of rough-feeling and haphazardly folded, which made me wonder if they were clean or reused?

We were awakened around 7:00 by someone vacuuming outside our door. Not too long after that, there were maintenance men loudly talking on their cell phones while working on a service elevator. Needless to say, we were up for the day! At least the hotel offered a decent continental breakfast which included fruit, cereal, bread, yogurt, waffles, juice, etc.

The hotel offered free parking, breakfast, and internet access. The internet access was iffy (sometimes you could get access and sometimes not). Maybe the signal was not good? The hotel was right off the interstate and about 20 mins away from HPN which was the airport we had to fly out of the next morning.

I think the hotel would have been passable if it weren't for the linens. If you have to stay here, bring your own linens, or check them out early to be sure they are clean before you go to bed. I could stay again if they got new linens, but this ruined it for me. I would probably stay elsewhere if I could help it.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Kimmer1
Reviewed April 22, 2007

I booked this hotel online months ago and when I tried to check in which was around 600pm they said they had no record of my booking even though it was in writing and I had received a confirmation. They left me out on the curb Me, Wife and 3 kids. They said they were all full, sorry! Be very careful

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed December 5, 2006

Excellent hotel. Great place to stay right outside NYC and save some money. Very close to the train station. Free parking. Excellent restaurant attached. The breakfast is the best. So much more than a continental buffet. Many choices. Very clean rooms, somewhat small but manageable. Comfortable beds and friendly staff. My husband and I used this as a base hotel to head up into the Northeast to look at the fall colors and then to head into NYC later in the week. Would suggest this for leisure or business travelers~

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 16, 2006

I booked this hotel simply looking for a clean but low-cost stopover en route to NYC. We were so pleased we elected to add a second night on our return from the city.

First things first: this is a budget property in the Marriott chain, so if you're looking for luxury touches look elsewhere. The rooms are mid-sized and plainly furnished, but clean and well-maintained. The beds were comfortable. There is a good-sized indoor pool in a large atrium, right off the main lobby. The hotel has a cozy, small inn feel that belies the number of rooms in the place. (The lobby is discreet to the point of invisbility: it's on the west side of the hotel which is itself somewhat hidden beheind a restaurant.)

The real pleasure here was the staff: exceptionally helpful and friendly at all times. This is one of the few chain hotels I've ever stayed in where they greeted me by name on my return! At all times there was free hot coffee available in the lobby and, variously, fresh popcorn, cookies and fruit on offer. The free continental breakfast was slightly above average, with more fresh fruit offerings than at similar hotels. A minor dispute over rates was quickly and courteously resolved in my favour. The manager kindly allowed me to leave my car in the lot without charge for several days while we travelled to New York by train.

The hotel adjoins the large City Limits Diner. We expected typical diner fare and were a bit surpised to find an eclectic menu and prices a bit higher than expected. We avoided the temptation to go elsewhere and thank God for that. The food here is fresh, innovative and excellent and the service attentive. They also have a bakery with exceptional pastries.

The hotel is immediately off CT exit 6 of I-95 so it's easy to get to for highway stopovers. If you're planning to walk the neighbourhood, it is oddly situated between bluecollar downtown Stamford and tony old Greenwich. The staff is more than happy to offer helpful directions.

All in all a very pleasant stopping place.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
1  Thank RyanM
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stamford
Hampton Inn & Suites Stamford
#3 of 14 in Stamford
Crowne Plaza Stamford
Crowne Plaza Stamford
#5 of 14 in Stamford

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Stamford / New York City? Share your experiences!