“Definitely short of their standard as I've seen it.”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Stamford / New York City
Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Stamford
Reviewed December 31, 2013

Pretty simple - beds SEEMED clean, but bathroom not. Dirt on floor just pushed around to the edges, the toilet lid was on backward (I didn't even want to explore why) and not fully set in place, shelf was pulling out of the wall and drooping. Arrived too late to care or complain, and out first thing in the morning, but skipped breakfast based on cleanliness level of room. SO GLAD my wife wasn't with me having extolled the virtues of the great value of LaQuinta. Not here.
Oh, and some kind of arrests going on in the parking lot - nice way to start. Major letdown after previous experiences.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for La Quinta Inn & Suites Stamford / New York City

Reviewed December 30, 2013

I suppose I shouldn't complain about this hotel, as I got the room for free with frequent flier miles. I wasn't looking for problems; they just jumped right out at me:

First impression: no elevator at the lobby level?!? I was directed to my room (#101) up two sets of stairs to the first floor! I'd had recent knee surgery, so this was a bit painful. When I got to the first floor, I discovered an ADA elevator; guess I should have said something before tackling the stairs. I later used it to get my luggage up to the room, though there were no instructions how to call or operate it. Luckily, I'm pretty intuitive, so I figured it out.

The room temperature was wildly inconsistent. When I entered, the thermostat was set at 72 but the room was quite cold. I figured it was one of those triggered by movement, so I gave it some time. It did indeed warm up -- VERY warm. Then it would get cold again and heat up again. I was constantly adjusting the thermostat. Also, the front of the heating unit had fallen off, and I couldn't get it back on.

I couldn't find a remote for the TV (checked all the drawers first), so I called the front desk. The receptionist admitted to taking it, and since he couldn't leave the desk, I had to go down and get it. Couldn't get the ADA elevator to respond, so I trekked back down the stairs.

The room had an armoire with hangers and also a panel of wall pegs, one of which was missing, as was one of the drawer pulls on the dresser. No fridge, no microwave.

The toilet seat was very loose -- surely housekeeping would have noticed this when cleaning it? -- and has a silent leak that caused it to refill spontaneously.

The wifi wasn't password-protected, so I didn't use it. I've stayed at other hotels where it was protected and don't understand why it shouldn't be.

Finally, I called the front desk to ask about breakfast hours, and after the 30th ring, I gave up. I did call back later, and it was answered promptly.

I don't generally go looking for trouble, but this time it found me. I can't recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo

909 Hidden Ridge Suite 600
Irving Texas, 75038

December 10, 2013

To Whom It May Concern:

I am writing this letter to share my experience at your hotel located in Stamford, CT.. My wife and I were in the area for the birth of our grandson. After having driven 670 miles we arrived at your hotel and was met by a gentleman named Steve. I asked for a smoking room when I submitted my request for the room online. According to Steve that request was never received by the front desk but if we were willing to wait he would “see what he could do”. Or we could take the room he was going to assign us anyway.

After the exhausting drive we decided we would just check in and I could smoke outside, not a big deal or at least one would think, except the room we were assign to was in the middle of a construction zone. Apparently there was some plumbing company there almost directly under us using power tools and obstructing the rear exit with ladders.

Your front desk clerk (Steve) had to know that work was to be ongoing yet he insisted on placing us there where he had to know it would be an uncomfortable stay at best for us and anyone in that immediate area apparently that was and is his goal contrary to everything I read about your company prior to booking the room. I couldn’t help but notice the plumbing company made every effort to protect your carpeting by placing paper matting over your carpeted stairway leading to the rear door and until one of the workers saw my wife trip over it they even duct taped it to the floor but your staff did noting to protect your customers like closing off that area so no one would or could get hurt entering or exiting that rear door while this work was being performed or insuring our comfort by using rooms on upper floors so we wouldn’t be awaken by the use of power tools and drilling into the walls. Also it would be a good idea to get the access key locks fixed. Generally it takes a dozen attempts before you can gain access I saw one of your employee’s try a card at the front door at least 20 times trying to get it to open.

My home has video monitoring that I could not access with your “free internet” without being kicked off because of limited access I would have rather paid a fee than have a promise of free nothing.

We decided since we are traveling with our two dogs we would clean the room ourselves so we took the dirty linen and trash to the front desk and again Steve was there and I had to just about beg him to accept your linen and inform us of where to dispose of the trash.
The real problem with all of this is when we arrived Steve was in the process of training some new front desk clerk. So it seems that if you can have a person like that train new staff members you really don’t care what first impression or common courtesy your guest receive.

I find Steve to be a person who for whatever reason is clearly out of his skill level when it comes to customer service and should be terminated and the person(s) trained by him retrained, however the rest of your staff performed admirably and therefore we remained at your hotel rather than search for another hotel and wait two weeks for a refund if we could have obtained one however I would have a hard time considering another stay when we return to the area. I recall reading on one of your information cards in the room, a person wrote a note promising a pleasant and comfortable stay at your hotel and he gave his “word on it” well as you can clearly see that did not happen by any stretch of the imagination.

We await your response and feel some concession should be made when everything is considered.

Robert Williams

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Robert W
Reviewed December 11, 2013

Due to the snow and ice we needed logding dec 9th. This la quinta was close to 95 and we checked in.
We had to go back to the lobby 3 times before we got a key that would open the room. The employee didn't really care. On our floor there was a section taped off with natural gas hazard warning tape. That did not feel good, also on our floor it was cold in the hallway. There was also a strange smell. During the night we experienced many loud people, doors banging etc. Also the heater fan would start every 30 min even when we turned it off. Very loud neighbours. We didn't sleep well! Due to our late checkin time and horrible night, we went to breakfast just after 9am. Breakfast is closed. We pointed out the in the elevators a sign mentions the breakfast time is to 10am. That was from the paid restaurant facility next door. They didn't seem to mind. We went to our room to get our stuff we they started construction with a sledgehammer while were only 10 feet away! The operater had ear protectors on but we didn't! He looked at us and just continued his drilling job. It was really loud from so close. While checking out the operator got one call after another about the drilling. He said to everyone that is was emergency repair due to the snow. It was clear this was planned construction. I feel the staff should inform guest before checkin in. They didn't seem to care that much.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Jloken
Reviewed November 27, 2013

Checked into room 511 before going to NYC for the weekend. Short 3 minute ride to the Metro North, which was fantastic. However, the room was very dated. Room faced route 95 and was incredibly loud all night long due to the highway traffic. Turned the fan on to drown out the traffic but the unit was louder than the traffic on the highway. Bed was comfortable and shower had good pressure.

Room Tip: Ask for an even number room, those are not facing highway
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank gstratus
Reviewed November 4, 2013

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stamford
Hampton Inn & Suites Stamford
#5 of 14 in Stamford
Hotel Zero Degrees
Hotel Zero Degrees
#3 of 14 in Stamford

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Stamford / New York City? Share your experiences!