“The Front Desk Clerk Tried to be Helpful...”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Stamford / New York City
Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Stamford
Dennis, Massachusetts
“The Front Desk Clerk Tried to be Helpful...”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

We decided to stop east of NYC to break up a 10 hour drive with a child and a dog. The dog part really cuts your options, and the kid really loves a pool. This hotel takes dogs and has an indoor pool, and I am a La Quinta rewards member, so I booked it before we left our prior digs that morning. It was $89.00 with an AAA discount. When we arrived, there were over 30 Penske moving trucks in the parking lot, and three police cruisers at the curb. I went to check in and asked the clerk first if there was a problem regarding the police. She said there had been a suicide threat called in, but that it could have come from a passing motorist's cell phone. The police were just leaving. We chanced it. I am familiar with Stamford, so didn't expect much. There were some characters about, but I had a 95 pound dog. The halls were dirty, but the room clean. We had #115 on the highway side and didn't hear noise. Note: there is a slope, so the first floor is actually up quite a few stairs, and doesn't have a walk-out. Upper floors have balconies. Cable channels are limited to about 15. We stayed one night, used the clean pool and surprisingly good "health club." It has 3 new machines that look untouched. Breakfast was the usual La Quinta good hot breakfast with fresh waffles, etc.. No drama, no problems other than my key card kept resetting and I had to get 3 new ones. The night clerk was helpful, the "security" guard was always texting. The next priced hotel in the area was more than double. This isn't a vacation spot, but it has free wifi and in our case a clean, comfortable room.

Room Tip: If you worry about highway noise ask for the parking lot side.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ParistoCapeCod

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Huntington, West Virginia
Reviewed June 5, 2013

When we got onto our floor there was cigarettes all over the floor. Once we got into our room our shower looked like it hadn't been cleaned since the hotel opened. The baseboard was missing part of it, and behind our sofa there was so much trash it was unreal! On top of the mess we were staying in we came back to find that one of the maids had stolen my Vera Bradley tumbler, I was not happy at all about that! And they will be paying me for my tumbler if it is not returned. Stay away from here!

Room Tip: Go to another hotel but this one!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Travelers are raving about these Stamford hotels

Reviewed May 15, 2013

Drugs street walkers in and out all hours of night ! Dirty filthy men hanging all over. Rooms dirty as hell. Front desk people know nothing about the hotel...people leave here. Its down right nasty. Bad place to takes kids

• Stayed April 2013
3 Thank donewithyou
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 30, 2013

It is very nice, it was right off of 95, and the location was right where we needed to be. The beds were comfortable, Would of preferred a room with more handicapped features such as a shower stall (not a tub) and a higher toilet.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Albany, New York
Reviewed April 14, 2013

I had to be in Stamford and booked the La Quinta online. No problems with check-in or check-out. The lady who works in the breakfast area was very nice. Everything was very clean. I would stay again. I would recommend the cafe attached to the hotel for dinner. The food was good and prices were fair.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 11, 2013

I hate to be so dramatic, but I don't know how else to describe how awful this place is. Most of the times I've had to stay here for work I've had problems. They frequently charge more than the price of my reservation. Several times they have told me that my company credit card didn't go through and they needed to use another one, a personal card, only to find out later I was charged the amount to both cards. Two of the times this has happened the manager has disputed refunding one of the charges with the bank so I have had to fax a copy of my receipt to the bank to prove they double charged me and file a fraud report, which takes about 6 - 8 weeks. This week I was stuck here for 3 days, with a reservation for $109 each night. Monday the water didn't work until 8:00 pm. I couldn't shower, drink coffee, flush the toilet, or brush my teeth before work, or for quite a while after. One would think this would warrant a discount or at least an apology. What did I get? I got charged $130 + tax instead of the price of my reservation for 2 of the nights. I've seen other people argue about all of these things with the manager (always a different one) and I feel bad for them because I know it's as effective as beating their head against the wall. There are too many other minor conveniences to list without this becoming an essay, like the time my door lock stopped and I had to sleep in another room in my contact lenses, without my asthma medicine, or my wallet to order dinner, until maintenance came the next day.... I just feel I need to warn people about the more serious instances of deliberate fraud, since they happen too often to be mistakes. This place is just awful. I have no idea how this place stays open with such incompetent management. If I had the choice to stay where I wanted when in the area I would never consider going back.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank annemarie626
Galveston, Texas
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Standard La Quinta property. More expensive than some but that is because of the proximity to NYC. First room I was given smelled of cigarette smoke though it was a non-smoking room. When I went to the front desk they promptly moved me to another room. Second room was clean and spacious. Furnishings were a mix of newer and slightly dated, but overall quality was good. No complaints.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stamford
Hampton Inn & Suites Stamford
#1 of 1 in Old Greenwich
Hotel Zero Degrees
Hotel Zero Degrees
#4 of 14 in Stamford

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Stamford / New York City? Share your experiences!