“Good value in Stamford”

Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Stamford
Silver Spring, Maryland
“Good value in Stamford”
Reviewed September 17, 2009

The Amsterdam Hotel is an independent hotel in downtown Stamford, convenient to I-95. It is nothing fancy, but more than adequate for a rate very reasonable for the area. Rooms are good size and include all the standard features. Downside would be that its convenience to I-95 results in hearing road noise. Staff is friendly and helpful.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Maryland
Reviewed September 1, 2009

The hotel is in a class of its own since it offers a lovely environment at affordable rates. There is a sense of tradition in the surroundings that remind one of old Europe. The staff members are calm and have lovely manners. They are nice people and easy to be around. The Amsterdam is a welcoming hotel and provides the traveler with a lovely, clean haven away from the hustle bustle. Now staying at the Amsterdam, a family run hotel, feels just like that -- like being with family.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
Arizona
Reviewed June 7, 2009

Don't judge a book by it's cover. The outside of the hotel gives a slightly different impression of what to expect.

I had an amazing stay. The room was extremely clean, fresh and comfortable. I've not stayed in a hotel so immaculate. Everything was well thought out, from the thick bath towels to the comfort of the bedding and mattress and equipped with a nice wide screen tv also. The staff were very friendly and accommodating. Would definitely recommend. I had an amazing sleep from a hectic travel schedule.

Kate*

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
New Jersey
Reviewed January 18, 2009

This place had many nice features. Nice room with two queen beds, table, chairs and free wireless internet. Nice staff.

• Stayed January 2009
Vermont
Reviewed December 1, 2008

Our family was traveling to Stamford area and we needed a place that wouldn't break the bank! The Amsterdam fit the bill. It is an older hotel, but well maintained. The rooms and especially the bathrooms were very clean. With a microwave and refrigerator in each room, this was very handy for our family (including two 20-somethings). Free wi-fi internet in the rooms was also a plus. The beds were very comfortable as well and the continental breakfast was good.
There is cable TV, which in one room was a flat panel screen.
The area is not scenic, but convenient, and parking available.
We will certainly stay here again if in the area.
We paid about $110 each night (not including taxes). This is quite a bargain for the Stamford area.

• Liked — price, cleanliness
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
USA
Reviewed September 23, 2008

For the budget traveler looking to visit New York City and stay in a clean, safe place with a private bath, you cannot beat the Amsterdam Hotel on value. Their internet rate is $110 and that includes complimentary breakfast, free, well-lit onsite parking, and wireless internet access. You have to be realistic when visiting NYC. Decent rooms with private bath in Manhattan are usually over $300. You aren't going to get the Four Seasons for $110 in this market, so you have to adjust your expectations accordingly.

This hotel looks a bit shabby on the exterior (even has one of those plastic "banner" signs on one side of the building instead of a permanent sign, which looks cheap) BUT the rooms are clean and the bathrooms seem to have been recently refurbished. I saw 2 rooms and both were very clean. The decor is pretty cheap and has the feel of your parent's guest room, but everything is clean and works as it should.

I found the staff to be very helpful -- even going so far as to pulling up Mapquest and printing directions when I needed to find a computer store in the area. It appears that the owner lives on site, as I saw an older gentleman coming and going from a private apartment on the premises and the staff seemed to speak to him as if he were the owner. In my mind this gives the place an air of safety, as I doubt someone living on the premises permanently would put up with shenanigans.

Since we had our dog with us, we had to stay in one of the "dog-friendly" rooms on the ground floor, which meant our view was a cement wall, and the room had an overall "basement" feeling about it, but we felt completely safe. Also, the room was very quiet, as opposed to the room we had the night prior at the $200 Crown Plaza in a different city.

Ironically, the best night's sleep I had on my entire 8 day vacation was the one night we stayed at this hotel.

Getting into NYC was easy...we drove about 5 min to the Stamford train station (Metro North Line) and took the train to Grand Central Station. It took about 45 mins (express train). The cost for 2 of us round trip was around $45, plus $8 for parking, so factor that in when considering your stay in Stamford.

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — Decor
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Manhattan
Reviewed July 9, 2008

I needed a last minute hotel room in Stamford, CT. I looked at my coupon book and discovered this hotel. I arrived with a coupon for $79/night. The front desk clerk was very nice but informed me that the coupon could only be used on the weekends. That's not printed on the coupon but I know that the property is not required to accept a coupon so I didn't argue. She offered me a price of $109 and I agreed. The lobby is very nice for a hotel in that price range. This hotel has plenty of free parking and a Taco Bell and gas station within walking distance. I appreciated that since I planned to have lunch at the Taco Bell. The hotel hallways were nice and the carpet was decent. The lighting was fine and the bathroom, in my room, was clean and well-sized. The room was also a nice size. Don't expect any views. One side of the hotel faces the Taco Bell, another side faces the parking deck, another side faces the parking lot and the other side faces the 2-story private homes across the street. The location is prime and very near shopping and restaurants if you call a taxi. I was pleasantly surprised because I wasn't expecting much. The area is very expensive and hotel prices can be a nightmare in this area. This has to be the best value in town. I will definitely stay here again. I didn't experience the breakfast buffet. I also don't think this hotel has any roomservice. But it's a bargain for the price.

Stayed June 2008

Travelers are raving about these Stamford hotels