“Hilton should be ashamed.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Stamford Hotel & Executive Meeting Center

Hilton Stamford Hotel & Executive Meeting Center
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Stamford
“Hilton should be ashamed.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

My first visit to this hotel was around July of this year and it was exceptional. I have frequented here often since then and I am utterly appalled at how badly the service, staff, cleanliness and convenience has declined since my first visit.

I often try to book the "Deluxe suite" as I originally found it to be very nice. Each time there after when I tried to book this suite I was told by the staff that no room with such a name existed. I was then told by the reservations hotline that a room with such a name did exist. The staff at the hotel is completely clueless as to what their own rooms entail. They make it incredibly difficult to book the room you are looking for. I often called and spoke to Travis who consistently could never answer any question and would immediately put me on hold. He would tell me he would be back with the answer and then transfer me to another completely clueless teller without explaining to anyone my original question. I had to literally restate myself four or five times before getting a very vague response. Bottom line ... Booking here is a complete nightmare and I will never waste my time with Travis or another clueless teller again.

Additionally the room service is inconsistent at its best. I ended up spending 100 dollars on breakfast for in room dining and got a very small portion of eggs, cold toast, bitter coffee and the list goes on. I asked for Tabasco which they could not provide Stating they were out. I don't know what possessed me to give their steak a try but I immediately regretted my decision. Essentially the food and in room dining service is not worth the hassle and money.

I had to call the front desk around 6pm to Ask for housekeeping to come clean my room as they had not done so all day. I returned to find no fresh towels and shower and tub untouched. The room itself was overall run down with stains on the floor.

Furthermore, wifi connection is terrible and they charge 10 dollars a day to use a connection that is weak. I could probably get a better connection from my room by using signal from one down the street, and it would be free.

I once spent an additional fee for what they call the "romance package" to find it was a HUGE waste of money. The package advertises "late check out" but I had two different house keepers banging on my door at 11 and 12.

After my ranting I will sum it up this way. I will ever again give business to this hotel. I have wasted a lot of time and money hoping they will improve but it only gets worse. The staff is clueless inefficient and not well trained. The quality is nowhere near enough for what you spend. Hilton you should truly be embarrassed. Your staff has absolutely no idea about their rooms and always redirect you to someone else. Shameful!

• Stayed November 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars
StamfordHilton, General Manager at Hilton Stamford Hotel & Executive Meeting Center, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
The disappointment you’ve shared in your comments is certainly not the experience that we expect for our guests. While we can understand your frustration with not receiving the answers you required, please let us further explain the type of rooms available. We offer a King Bed Deluxe guestroom which includes upgraded amenities. Additionally, we offer Executive, Governor & Presidential Suites which are luxuriously enhanced for ultimate comfort. We do apologize for any confusion. All feedback that we receive is highly valued and we will use this opportunity to strengthen our commitment to providing the best in service to each and every guest. We hope for the chance to welcome you back in the future and sincerely thank you for your comments.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Ridgefield, CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

We have had the pleasure now twice to seek refuge at the Hilton in Stamford due to a week long power outage both times. The first from a freak snow storm last year that left most of Connecticut without power and the second from Hurricane Sandy.

All of the employees have handled themselves with extreme politeness and general willingness to please in both cases. That is not an easy thing to do when most everyone is there not by choice but by necessity. My hat goes off to the chef. In this storm, he had to improvise a buffet and feed a lot of people when he and/or the hotel could not get shipments of food. In fact, one breakfast, after the crowd had devoured everything in site, the chef made me and anyone else a special batch of fresh hot muffins after finding out there were none left. All of the employees though from the front desk to the bell man really were happy and willing to help in anyway even if they could not get home to their families. My husband and I cannot thank those who work there enough for the upbeat attitude. The rooms are great too. Just don't position yourself near an ice machine, kind of gets busy in times like we had.

Room Tip: Rooms not near ice machine are quieter.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
StamfordHilton, General Manager at Hilton Stamford Hotel & Executive Meeting Center, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
We are truly humbled by your gracious comments and offer our heartfelt thanks for the time you took to share your experiences. Providing thoughtful and attentive service during not one, but two challenging times in CT, indeed shows the dedication our staff has to the Hilton Stamford Hotel and we are extremely proud of them. Your review will absolutely make them smile! It was certainly our pleasure to have you stay with us and we’d love to have you come back when the weather is favorable too! Thank you for your uplifting review.
Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Where to begin? The good things first,The king bed.It was very comfy!Also ,the bathroom was clean and lobby was inviting.Here we go to some of the many gross,unacceptable things.First check in, the girl was yawning,and could not be more uninterested in doing her job.Next ,in room I found a prior guests clothes crumpled up in the pull out couch,and hair ties on floor.Broken springs behind couch,and crumbs under desk.I'm sorry I though vacuuming was standard.I had to call front desk four times to get it taken care of.I was bothering them.
I am so not picky,but I was expecting a little service and felt it lacked,BIG TIME.Last came room service ,which was promised in 45 minutes( ok,I'm patient,even though that seems a little long)I just knew it would be longer...yup, hour and half. I could just go on and on,so not worth it.
I have stayed at the Stamford Marriott several times and love it,and have never had any issues there. I am so glad others in elevator felt the same of this place. Employees all need some serious customer service training!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
StamfordHilton, General Manager at Hilton Stamford Hotel & Executive Meeting Center, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Please accept our sincerest apologies that we did not create the experience you deserved as a valued guest. Your comments will be shared with all departments to re-emphasize the high standards in place for customer service and attention to detail. While it seems that you received a restful night's sleep, we are truly disappointed that the remainder of your stay was not fully enjoyable. We value the feedback you've offered and thank you for your review.

Travelers are raving about these Stamford hotels

Saint Louis, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Hilton should really be embarrassed about that place. It's not worthy of the Hilton brand. Where to start? Check in--The room I booked (king) was not available. Keep in mind the king room was not a request, it was what I booked and paid extra for. What I have discovered is this hotel moves people around from their original assigned room. My room key card had 2 different room numbers marked out on it. Gold members are to receive 2 bottles of water in their room..no water for me. My guess--the water was in one of the other rooms they had me booked in. Never got the water. Paint is peeling in the bathroom ceiling. Stains on the wallpaper. Very disappointed in this property.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
We couldn't be more disappointed than to hear that your recent stay was not as you had anticipated. It is our goal to ensure a seamless experience for all our guests, and we do apologize that your stay did not reflect that. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience about your stay and we hope to have an opportunity in the future to regain your trust in our brand.
Fenton, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This particular Hilton makes me think of Paris Hilton -- worn out. The people at the front desk and doormen, shuttle drivers were all very helpful and pleasant. The location was especially difficult, as the staff said they would not recommend walking to the downtown area. There were plenty of shuttles to take you to dinner, etc.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
It is certainly disappointing that we did not live up to your expectations, as we strive to provide exceptional guest service and to create positive, memorable stays for all our guests. We are happy however, to read that our staff fully impressed you and we would hope to be able to welcome you back again for the exceptional stay that you deserve. Thank you for sharing your comments.
Purchase, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We took shelter from the storm here over the weekend of November 2. I plumped for a pricier Executive Room, only to be told on arrival that the executive lounge would be closed over the weekend. The hotel gave us breakfast vouchers for the main area, as I am a Hilton Gold member, but I felt that I had wasted my money on the Executive Room. After I complained to the front desk staff, Kendall did offer coupons for two glasses of wine at the bar. Said wine was very good. I also saw Kendall deal graciously with another upset guest, so a shout out to him for a job well done.
There is an express elevator to the executive floors (9 and 10) however, card access is required only for 10, where the elevator opens directly into the lounge, so there is no extra security for floor 9. The room itself was nothing special, although I thought some of the furniture was of good quality, albeit dated. It was barely larger than our recent room at a Hampton Inn. The bathroom was actually smaller and not as nice as the Hampton Inn bathroom. The Peter Thomas Roth amenities included the shower gel (which is great) but not the mouthwash (disappointing at the price level). There was an empty space in the living area where a piece of furniture had obviously been removed and not replaced. No minibar or refrigerator. In all, not very "executive" and no better than an HGI.
The hotel pool is 6'2'' deep at the max which is very nice, but there are limited seating options. The gym seems small for a hotel of this size. No one was on duty at the gym or pool.
Breakfast was a bit disappointing. No omelet bar or fresh pancakes or waffles. There were pancakes in a chafing dish one day, and what looked like Eggo waffles the next. A nice selection of fruit made up for that in part, but the pastries were also a let down. Breakfast potatoes were warm and well seasoned. Overall, the dining room was noisy and crowded and the servers were inattentive. The hostess did a good job getting everyone seated.
When we changed from valet parking to self parking (because there was a bit of wait for our car) we learned that self parking was free with Hilton Gold which no one bothered to tell us the first day. The gift shop charged $3.50 for a Snapple.
On the plus side, the hotel has a free shuttle as it's not that easy to walk to downtown Stamford, and the driver was nice.
On the minus side, the front desk staff often seemed to be engaged in other repetitive tasks or on the phone, even when a line of guests built up. I am not the only guest who was annoyed by this.
Overall this was a disappointing experience. I think that the hotel failed to bring in enough staff to accommodate the surge of weekend guests due to the storm. That would be acceptable, if they discounted the rates, or even kept them the same, but I have a feeling we paid a higher rate due to the high occupancy. Some of the hotel's faults were not due to the surge of weekend guests - the dingy space near the elevator on the Executive Floor, the lack of an attendant at the pool, the mediocre breakfast, the tired decor.
If you have business at First Stamford Place, this is a no-brainer. The convenience outweighs the minor nuisances and disappointments. But I would look elsewhere if my business was downtown.

Room Tip: If you go Executive, go for the 10th floor. Otherwise I would skip it.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
It is the details that can make all the difference in a person's stay and it's disappointing to learn when a guest leaves less than thrilled with some aspects of their stay. We sincerely regret any inconveniences you may have experienced and appreciate your suggestions to help make stay's for other guests more enjoyable. Our indoor heated pool and whirlpool are open from 6 AM to 11 PM and offer clear instructions that a lifeguard or attendant is not on duty, and our Executive Lounge is open Sunday afternoon to Friday morning each week. Our website is a wonderful tool to answer any of your questions about our amenities and their availability. Your feedback will be shared with our management team so we may discuss areas that may need improvement and we hope to be able to welcome you back for a better stay in the future.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

The location of this hotel is great - right on the train line at Stamford, CT. The hotel offers a free shuttle to and from the station which makes it really convenient (express trains to Grand Central and Penn Station).

The reception has been renovated and is open, inviting and spacious. Unfortunately, the rest of the hotel is old and tired. Rooms have been slapped with new paint and that's it. Thankfully in true Hilton style the beds are comfy and luxurious so the sleep is wonderful.

Note: Parking is available but comes at a cost.

Next visit I'll be back at the RyeTown Hilton (which is now the Westchester Hilton) - particularly as it is $100 cheaper.

Room Tip: Top floors on the non railway side
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
StamfordHilton, General Manager at Hilton Stamford Hotel & Executive Meeting Center, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
We are pleased that you enjoyed the convenience of our complimentary shuttle and welcoming atmosphere of our lobby and comfortable beds, but it concerns us that you feel you may not return in the future. Please accept our apologies for any missed opportunities to make your stay more enjoyable and we hope you will reconsider returning in the future. Thank you for your review.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stamford
Stamford Marriott Hotel & Spa
Hyatt Regency Greenwich
Hyatt Regency Greenwich
#1 of 1 in Old Greenwich
4.0 of 5 stars 1,011 reviews

Been to Hilton Stamford Hotel & Executive Meeting Center? Share your experiences!