“Adequate and convenient for business visits”

Hilton Stamford Hotel & Executive Meeting Center
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Stamford
Reviewed September 25, 2011

It needs work. I don't care about how well it compares to its namesake but for my purpose of staying there and how well it meets that purpose. From the standpoint of proximity and amenities, it's suitable. Were I in the area for a personal trip, I wouldn't stay there, it's over-priced for what you get. And parking isn't free.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Hilton Stamford Hotel & Executive Meeting Center

Reviewed September 22, 2011

The title of the review has nothing to do with the staff as the front desk clerk and maintenance person who came to fix the internet were very pleasant and helpful. My room 749 was very small and hard to get to as it is in a corner of the building with a passageway. The bathroom was tiny and very dated. I was traveling with three colleagues and arrived later in the evening only to find nothing within walking distance for dinner. We chose the restaurant on property and had one of the worst dinners ever at a Hilton. Knowing what I know now, I would have gone to the dining car on the train instead.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
8  Thank mlsimp2
Anne B, Public Relations Manager at Hilton Stamford Hotel & Executive Meeting Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2011

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us about your experience at our hotel. We appreciate your favorable description of our staff. We have addressed the deficiencies in your guest room and we apologize for not providing our usual comfortable accommodations. We would welcome another opportunity to serve you during your next visit to the Stamford area.

Reviewed September 18, 2011

I stayed here recently with my son one night as a stopover on our way to New York City for an early morning sports competition. Pulling into the parking lot at night the signs weren't clearly marked about where to go, but we managed to get into the lobby with no problem. Check-in was quick and easy. The room we were in looked clean and had lots of pillows loaded on the two double-beds. The only issue we had in our room was that the bathtub/shower couldn't seem to get any hot water at 6:30 in the morning, and I couldn't leave the water on to see if it would get hot because the water wasn't draining out of the tub, and threatened to spill over if I kept waiting.

I was also disappointed in the state of the vending machines. The one on the 5th floor wasn't working, so I went down to the 4th floor. That beverage machine was working, but the Diet Pepsi I received was over a month past its freshness date, and I wasn't given change when I also purchased a bottle of water.

I would stay here again, but I would bring my own drinks. I would also check to make sure the tub drains. Overall, for the low amount I paid on Priceline (less than half the listed rate on the hotel's website) I can't complain too much.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family

Thank you so much for the feedback regarding your recent experience at the Hilton Stamford Hotel. It is through our guest’s feedback that we are able to continually improve our property. As it relates to your comments regarding the vending machines, we have contacted vending machine company to upgrade the machines. Please be made aware that we are always making improvements to the property to maintain a high level of amenities for our guests.
Again thank you for your feedback!

Reviewed September 12, 2011

I usually stay at the Garden Inn in the US - I like the price-value ratio better. But this time I had to move due to a power outage and Hilton Stamford was the only available property in the area. Which in turn provided me with an interesting perspective for comparison. Although more expensive, and marketed as such, there were hardly any differences between the mid-range Garden Inn and the Hilton, positioned and priced a class above. The room was actually even a bit worse - the desk was too low for me to sit comfortably and the chair's height was not fully adjustable. The bed was rather on the soft side, which I did not find comfortable. The service staff was not trained very well too. I had to wait until 5 pm for someone to come make up my room (the explanation was that the linen were not delivered to the hotel - possibly due to the after-effects of the hurricane), but the maid was clearly hoping that I will not want service (?). Breakfast choices were rather basic as well, especially when compared to Hilton properties outside of the US.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
5  Thank ovidius13

Thank you so much for the feedback regarding your recent experience at the Hilton Stamford Hotel. As I am sure you are aware all transportation was shut down during hurricane Irene making it difficult for our staff to come into work. Many people rely on public transportation and unfortunately that was not available during this weekend. I am sure you understand our position and as it sounds we were able to accommodate your room refresh.
Again we thank you for your feedback and appreciate your understanding the staffing levels we were able to reach due to hurricane Irene.

Reviewed September 11, 2011

Great location but very noisy hotel. Complained over and over again and noise didn't stop. Was up until 1am and had to get up at 5. Not happy. Go no response from front desk or management when I sent email. Only offer was free breakfast which started after I had to leave that morning.

• Stayed: August 2011
3  Thank Marshhogan

We could not be more apologetic about the events you experienced at our hotel. We are well known for providing our weekend guests with a relaxing, enjoyable environment with personal, friendly service. It is totally out of character for an event like this to occur at our hotel and we deeply regret the inconvenience that you experienced. We hope you will consider giving us another opportunity to offer our usual relaxing and friendly services during a future visit to our area.

Reviewed September 8, 2011

This hotel was not what I expect from Hilton - (I am long time Diamond HHonors). Although I did read the negative reviews before I booked the reservation - I went ahead because the price was very good for the area.
Not sure if the room I first was given was the same one a previous reviewer had (Rm 1058 on exec. floor) - as soon as I walked in the musty mildew smell hit me. AC would not respond to the thermostat. There was a big carpet dryer fan blowing in hallway in front of the elevators. Exec lounge, at 9 pm, was a mess, empty wine bottles, one Coors light beer, and empty and half eaten chip and dip bowls - C'mon if the lounge is open until 10 pm , then keep it staffed, stocked, and clean until then. The lobby restaurant was a poor choice for a late dinner - but I was tired, it was late, and it was pouring out.
The front desk did switch my room to Rm 1068 - it was fine, and everything worked, and didn't smell.
No wireless? C'mon Hilton.

Time for a major renovation or take the Hilton name off this one.

Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Hortkie

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us about your experience at our hotel. We have addressed the deficiencies in your guest room and we apologize for not providing our usual comfortable accommodations. We also provide many services to our frequent business traveller guests including hhonors points, business center services, a wide variety of conference services, and multiple food service options. We would welcome another opportunity to serve you during your next visit to the Stamford area.

Reviewed September 2, 2011

After reading the reviews, I had low expectations, but we got a great rate on priceline, so there was no turning back! We arrived right before Hurricane Irene hit the area, and the hotel performed very well! It kept power while most places in the area lost power, so many CT natives checked in, and it became a madhouse. The hotel staff remained attentive and calm. Furthermore, the restaurant didn't run out of food--they opened a buffet and it was good, considering the circumstances.

I do agree that the rooms should have wifi--it's a pain. Also, the fixtures in the room are falling a part, but they work fine. It's just a bit dated. This hotel is clearly for business travelers, and I can see that it would fill up during the week, so I don't know what motivation they have for a renovation. As a Hilton Honors member, we were upgraded to the Executive Floor/Lounge, and it was nice.

The parking is a bit of a nuisance, but there is no other option. Overall, this hotel gets a bad rap on tripadvisor in my opinion. As a self described 'hotel snob'--this hotel is a great value for the area and the staff is very dedicated and nice. I am glad to have been there during the hurricane.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ashlam
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stamford
Stamford Marriott Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Old Greenwich
Crowne Plaza Stamford
Crowne Plaza Stamford
#5 of 14 in Stamford

Been to Hilton Stamford Hotel & Executive Meeting Center? Share your experiences!