“Don't do it!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Kampei
Ranked #190 of 463 Restaurants in Stamford
Cuisines: Japanese, Asian, Chinese, Sushi
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Don't do it!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

We used to live in Stamford 10 years ago and went to Kampei several times a month. Stopped in for lunch on Friday, since we were in the area and it was a huge disappointment. I ordered the sweet and sour chicken, but requested sauted chicken instead of deep fried. The chicken was rubbery and had a fishy taste to it. The waiter never came over to ask how the food was. I had to call him over and when I told him that I was not happy with the meal, he said well that's what you ordered. I asked to speak to a manager and they told me he just left. They billed me for the meal that I didn't eat and when I asked them to take it off the bill, they refused. Will never go back again! In addition, the bathroom was so dirty, I refused to use it.

• Visited July 2013

“Restaurant in decline”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

We used to enjoy their food, but the last year or so has been quite a disappointment. The wontons had some unpleasant black filling, and the vegetable dumplings had a few shreds of vegetables in them and were mostly just thick wrapper. The sweet and sour chicken didn't have a pleasant texture (was it chicken, someone asked in an earlier review, and I should have listened). Next time I think we'll pass.

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Stamford,CT
“What happened to Kampei?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

I used to love this restaurant. We would order take three or four times a month. Last week I called in my usually order while driving home near Greenwich on the Merritt ( hands free of course) and still had to wait a half hour for my food. The chicken was tough ( I hope it was chicken) the spider roll was chewy and stale. The good there is not cheap. Maybe they had a bad night who knows but they have made mistakes with my orders before. It's time to try the new Chinese restaurant off Wire Mill Road next time.

• Visited April 2013
“Fantastic!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

This is my favorite lunch spot in Stamford.
Excellent, prices and service. The food... Chinese or Japanese is always fresh and delicious....
The staff recognizes regulars with a smile and they even remember lunch selections.... Wow!

• Visited October 2012
Stamford, Connecticut
“Forgettable Chinese and Japanese food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2012

We live in Stamford, CT, and received a menu in the mail as a direct mail piece. We looked at the menu and it looked attractive, plus the Chinese restaurant we have been eating at for years closed a few months ago, as did our Chinese "take-out" kitchen. We were looking for a new "go to" Chinese/Japanese restaurant. THIS IS NOT IT!.

My wife and I went there for lunch. Like other reviewers have said, the dining area is small and very cramped. We were waited on promptly and our order was taken promptly and efficiently. That is the end of the good news. I ordered a Japanese sushi lunch box with hot and sour soup in lieu of the typical miso soup. My wife ordered General Tso's chicken with hot and sour soup.

For years, I have considered hot and sour soup to be a great test of a Chinese kitchen and have had the gamut of soups over the years from excellent to wretched. This one was close to the bottom. Good hot and sour soup should be chicken stock based with sour coming from rice wine vinegar and the hot from black, white peppers. This was totally different. It was difficult to tell what the base of the soup was and it was slimy in consistency. There was a strong tomato flavor to the soup. I couldn't taste a sour component in the soup and the spice came from cayenne pepper. The soup was poor.

All the lunch boxes are supposed to come with miso soup, two gyoza (pot stickers), California roll, salad and rice. My sushi box had three pieces of sushi (salmon, tuna and white fish) that were fair. The California roll turned out to be 1/2 of a California roll (3 small pieces and I do mean small). All in all my lunch on a scale of 1 - 10 was a "2" at best.

My wife's General Tso's chicken looked good when it was served. There were about four nice pieces of broccoli and several hot red peppers in the dish. The chicken pieces were covered with a shiny sauce. However, upon tasting the chicken, the sauce was sweet, gooey and stickey and there was no spicy taste at all, which was odd considering all the peppers in the dish.

My lunch box was $9 and my wifes General Tso's chicken was $7. All in all this was a most forgettable meal and we will not be going back. We are still searching for a good Chinese/Japanese kitchen in Stamford.

Visited July 2012