“Needs a Renovation”

Stamford Marriott Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Stamford
Reviewed May 24, 2013

I stayed at this hotel on business in April 2013 for one night. The hotel is very much a standard Marriott--nothing special. My impression was that the hotel is in need of a renovation.

I say this because the hallways were beat-up looking--carpet was stained and dirty (even with the too busy print) and the wallpaper was scuffed and starting to peel in a few places. Elevators looked worn, with the wood paneling having a few dents and scars. The areas around the parking garage elevator look terrible. The garage itself is annoying--cars are parked in non-spaces, turns are tight, lighting is dim.

More than the obviously beat-up sections of the hotel, the hotel needs a decor update badly. It feels like stepping into a very corporate hotel of the 1990s; there is nothing distinctive or local about the design. The renovations that have been done over the years look patchwork and band-aid like--they can't cover up that the fundamental design of this hotel is from another era. The place would be a lot better if the ripped out the old looking signage, reduced the number of patterns on the carpet (several of which are mismatched, especially in guest room hallways), got rid of some of the imposing columns and wood paneling, changed the color scheme from red and gold to something more modern, opened up the front desk, etc. The lobby is odd--there are several dead spaces, especially near the parking garage entrance. I have been in several other Marriotts that have substantially renovated the lobby and public areas to feel significantly more modern; this hotel should follow that trend.

Service was fine. Check-in was fast and efficient. I was not offered a room in-line with my preferences on-file with Marriott, though--my profile asks for a room on a high floor away from the elevator; I was assigned a room right next to the elevators on a low floor. The concierge lounge had a decent evening spread of appetizers. I found one of the staff members in the lounge very irritating--he had a booming voice and was quite intrusive in how he interacted with guests. This made it hard to relax or get any work accomplished in the lounge.

Location is convenient if your business is downtown; several restaurants are within walking distance.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
pgriffith, Director of Sales at Stamford Marriott Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2013

Thank you for staying with us recently, and for your candid review. Our guestrooms and hallways were completely renovated in 2009, and the lobby and Sam's Bistro in 2011. Although relatively 'new' renovations, in such a busy hotel we are constantly working on preventive maintenance issues, and trying to stay ahead of the kind of shortfalls you noticed.

Thank you for bringing them to our attention, and we will work harder to make your next stay more pleasing. We hope you return to the Stamford Marriott again soon.

There are newer reviews for Stamford Marriott Hotel & Spa

Reviewed May 20, 2013

stayed here Saturday night, nice hotel, but disappointed there was no balcony. The parking garage was just too....complicated, we drove around in circles before we could figure out how to get out...too funny. But really the location was good, there's a PF Changs across the street and a Barnes & Noble.
I gave it a "very good" rating, had no complaints with the room, bedding, bath, etc, just disappointed a bit.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 16, 2013

I would not have stayed here but I did because I had a discounted rate because of a conference and the fact it was paid by my employer. They did allow dogs though which was a surprise. Because of that, I made a mini vacation out of it with my dog and visited local hiking trails on the way there and in Stamford. Way too overpriced restaurant and lounge on site. That is typical though of downtown, full service hotel. I would have never stayed here for pleasure...business only. Even though they allowed dogs, there is very little space for them to do their business. A small patch of grass and a flower bed out front is the only place, but I did not complain about that. I utilized the great parks in the morning, afternoon, and night that Stamford offers.

Room Tip: First floor if you have pets.
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Stayed here for a conference. Service was excellent. All staff was very helpful.
Only complaint I had was that the noise carried throughout the floor where my room was. I was close to the end of the hall (away from the elevators) and I was woken up at 2, 3 and 4 from people talking very loudly near the elevators, people slamming their doors and someone rolling a cart up and down the hallway.

Another nice thing about this hotel is that it is on the Red Dot shuttle route. Very easy to get to from LGA without needing to rent a car.

Reviewed May 11, 2013

At one point during my two night stay here I truly forgot what country and city I was in. Presumably that is the Marriott Group's intention, if so, objective achieved. You know what you're getting and what it looks like. No bad thing if you're on business as everything is efficient and uniform. At this particular location I would say that the service at breakfast was below average, no one taking orders or serving without frantic hand waving.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

The staff at this location were incredibly nice and helpful. From the drivers that shuttled me to the train station and to work to the front desk staff Evan and Diego. The AGM, Peter, was very helpful too. We stayed here in a large consulting group for about 3 years and loved it. They hosted happy hour with free drinks and food every so often. The quality of the food definitely had improved over time. The Spa was amazing. Very well built.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
MReeber, Manager at Stamford Marriott Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2013

Thanks so much for taking the time to post a review about your stay with us over the last three years! I’m happy to hear that your group enjoyed our hotel and hope that you will return to Stamford soon.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

I have stayed at the hotel numerous times and have never had a bad experience. Great service, clean rooms, great views(on the upper floors), newly renovated bathrooms.

After spending all day out in the sun, my girlfriend and I decided to stay this past weekend at the Marriot. We called last second and told them we had a dog which they had no problem accommodating at 9pm.

To make a long story short, we ended up checking out in the morning and checking back in later that day to stay another night. My girlfriend realized she lost a VERY sentimental necklace, the last gift given to her from her mother. I called the front desk and spoke to the manager Diego, who did EVERYTHING in his power to help us out. He had security walk us to the room to try to find it. He then had 3 staff members search all of the sheets that were thrown down in the laundry room that morning(2 hour process). Lo and behold, the necklace had been tangled in the sheets!

I can't thank Diego, Allison and the rest of the team for their hard work and for finding my girlfriends necklace. It truly shows their dedication to their customers. The entire experience at the hotel nothing less than perfect. I will definitely be staying at Marriot's wherever I go in the future!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

I’m so happy to hear that Allison, Diego and our Loss Prevention Team were able to locate her missing necklace! I can’t begin to imagine how devastating it must have been when she realized that it was missing. So glad that our Team could help! We sincerely appreciate your wonderful remarks about our Team and our hotel, please stop by and see us soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Stamford
Hotel Zero Degrees
#5 of 14 in Stamford
Hyatt Regency Greenwich
Hyatt Regency Greenwich
#1 of 1 in Old Greenwich

Been to Stamford Marriott Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!