“Nice hotel; Wonderful concierge lounge!”

Stamford Marriott Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Stamford
Beach Haven, New Jersey
“Nice hotel; Wonderful concierge lounge!”
Reviewed August 12, 2012

We recently spent 2 nights here with Marriott certificates that were about to expire.
We were greeted by a bellman who cheerfully assisted with luggage. Check in was pleasant and efficient. Because of my husband's platinum elite status we were assigned a room on the 14th floor concierge level. The accomodation was a fairly spacious corner room with views of downtown and LI sound. Some traffic noise from I95 was audible but it did not disrupt my sleep (and normally I am a very light sleeper). The room was clean and in addition to the usual amenities had a refrigerator, coffee maker, bathrobe and 2 complimentary bottles of water (since it was concierge level). the king bed was lovely with higher end linens. The pool is very nice with both an indoor and outdoor component - one complaint is that the pool towels provided are very small and worn.

The concierge lounge had a lovely view and a fireplace which would be nice in cooler weather. It had the usual honor bar with complimentary soft drinks and Starbucks coffee. The appetizer spread was rather impressive with shrimp tempura, crudite, various types of cheese and crackers, pasta salad etc. Dessert was a Boston Cream Cake/Pie and Apple Pie. The evening concierge was very engaging. Breakfast was typical Marriott concierge lounge fair.

One downside was that we were unaware until check in that a large dart tournament was being held during the days we were there. Many of the dart players seemed to be rather heavy smokers/drinkers and the parking garage entrance was always full of choking smoke even though the hotel attempted to minimize it with industrial fans.

Overall we would consider staying here again. It is very close to many good restaurants.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sophie p

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
  • Thai first
Port Reading, NJ
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Our stay started with a bit of a disappointment. When we pulled into the portico, we expected to be greeted by a bellman or valet, receive help with our luggage, and be pointed towards the registration desk. No such luck. We had to ask for a bellman when we checked in, then find our way from the parking garage to the lobby and then find the elevators.

The room was beautiful. It featured an extremely comfortable king bed loaded with pillows, very cool modern (and bright) light fixtures and a nice big desk (which swung out to become a table for two). Nicely framed photo prints decorated the walls rather than the usual cliche prints. A small refrigerator was tucked into the cabinet that also held dresser draws and a large flat screen TV and a single cup coffeemaker sat atop it. A modern easy chair and ottoman rounded out the room.

The bathroom was visually stunning, but on the small side. The vanity was stone or faux stone (I'm no expert) and the large mirror was accented with glass shelves set against a wood background. The vanity was plenty large for his and hers toiletries and had storage for one's toiletry bags. Speaking of toiletries, the provided soap, shampoo, body wash etc. was of high quality from Bath & Body Shop. We enjoyed the double shower heads: one built into the ceiling and one in the traditional location. My wife felt the tub could have used no slip strips, but I didn't find it slippery.

One quibble was that with the single cup coffee maker, there was only one packet of regular coffee and one of decaf. Odd since any couple staying there could both want regular or decaf! A call to the desk quickly resolved that problem.

The pool is much smaller than it appears in the hotel photos. Although advertised as an indoor/outdoor pool, the outdoor portion was tiny. The patio area could have benefited from better landscaping and the poor flowers desperately needed watering (and perhaps some fertilizer or plant food). The pool towels were tiny and some needed replacing.

I was there for a conference and spent much of my time in the mezzanine level conference rooms. These were nicely appointed, but way over air-conditioned. It's rare for me to wish I had brought long sleeved shirts in the summertime!

The lounge was very modern and cool. The seating areas were plush and comfortable. Cocktails were well prepared and served in beautiful glassware, but quite expensive. Meals were included in our conference package and we didn't have an opportunity to try the restaurant.

My wife really enjoyed the decor and comfort of the lobby. Being in the conference center all day, I didn't get a chance to explore it. It too (like the lounge), was decorated in a very modern, chic style.

A small gift shop off the lobby doubles as a coffee shop serving Starbuck products, baked goods and snack items. We appreciated the hot coffee in the chilly conference rooms!

Upon leaving, we again encountered bell service issues. We had stored our luggage since the conference extended past checkout time. When we went to retrieve our bags, there was no staff at the bell stand and several people waiting. We ended up having to go to the front desk where one of the clerks had to fetch our luggage from the storeroom. Apparently the bell staff also serve as the parking valets and shuttle drivers, leaving the bell stand empty as they fulfilled these other duties.

Overall, the Stamford Marriott is well appointed and the service staff we encountered seemed eager to please. The welcome and bell services seemed to need improvement, but if I needed to stay in the Stamford area again I would certainly stay there again.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less traffic noise.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
NH
Reviewed August 9, 2012

They really went above and beyond to help out on a recent trip. Having a Starbucks on site was very helpful as well. I didn't have a chance to use the spa, but it looked lovely! I have also previously stayed in one of their suites and it was very spacious.

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
mdr0214, Manager at Stamford Marriott Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
We're glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! Please let the Agora Spa know when you are returning as they do fill up quickly. Thanks again for your review.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 9, 2012 via mobile

Very comfortable and clean. Service was very good....courteous and friendly. Shuttle is available between this Marriott and the Marriott Courtyard which is where all the great restaurants are. Very good value.

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed August 7, 2012

The location of the Marriot Stamford is great. Its walking distanct to the mall and resturants. There are many activites around from live at 5 to enjoying resturant week. The bar staff in the lounge are great, very friend and warm. Looking forward to my next stay in stamford

Room Tip: away from the elevators
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Eagle, Colorado
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Being right on top of I95 this hotel should invest in sound proof windows. All day and night you hear the hum an traffic from I95. The pool is very small and my kids had goggles on where they noticed te underwater was very dirty, Hair, etc.
We have stayed here often and it is a good location to get into NYC.
Beds were very comfortable. Air conditioner is extremely loud and annoying.

• Stayed August 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed August 3, 2012 via mobile

I was there for business, and spent a night in late July. The staff were friendly, helpful, and even a little over the top (in a good way). I stay at marriott hotels a lot, and I know what I expect. The service here is above average. The challenge, while you can tell some renovations have been made, is that the hotel is still dated. The room smelled a bit musty, which I hate. The size is fine, bed was fine, bathroom was clean, but that musty smell just kind of killed it for me.

It might have just been my room, so I don't want to stat this is what you should expect...only that you should be aware that this was my experience.

The concierge lounge was well appointed, and had again, friendly helpful staff.

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank myexperiencematters
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stamford
Hotel Zero Degrees
Hyatt Regency Greenwich
Hyatt Regency Greenwich
#1 of 1 in Old Greenwich
Hilton Stamford Hotel & Executive Meeting Center

Been to Stamford Marriott Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!