“Rude staff”

Stamford Marriott Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Stamford
“Rude staff”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2011

I travel for a living (150 nights a year for the last 25 years) and this is the worst I have been treated, ever. When I informed the manager he acted as if he could care less.

• Stayed April 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Thai first
North Salem, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2011

I ran an event April 16-17 and from the sales staff right to the final event everything was great. They made running our event stress free. We had guests arriving from many different states, mostly families with children, and we all felt welcome. From my end, as coordinator of this event, they made my job easy. The ballrooms were setup exactly as asked and always on time. The guest rooms were beautiful. My staff was treated like royalty. The location of the hotel is perfect! The dinning facilities are great. If you have time to treat yourself to the fabulous spa then you are really in for a treat. The pool is beautiful. I would highly recommend this hotel.

1 Thank TriciaNorthSalem_NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2011

This is a bit long in the tooth for a Marriott. One can plainly see that it once was a GREAT place. It is now decent. Without renovation, it will not be decent for long.

The staff was friendly, and they got us our room early. We were on the train to NYC within 30 minutes of our arrival at the hotel. Free shuttle is great.

Location is stellar right next to a great mall with REAL restaurants not just Ruby-apple-chilis, etc. I saw a board on the window of the hotel's top floor circular restaurant and was told that it had been closed for a while - indicative of the need for investment.

The rooms were a bit dated but comfortable. The mattress was very comfortable. The sky lights in the lobby were repaired rather than replaced, the outdoor track appeared to have been closed due to lack of upkeep. The gym was nice.The pool was fine but had seen better days. It was nicely heated. Brekafast at Sam's was nice.

Is it a great hotel? No - but it is decent. Is it my first choice in the future? No - but when decent NYC hotels are running $400-700 a night I will opt for this cost effective solution.

However, without a decent amount of investment, it is likely that this hotel will lose what luster it has left in the near future.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
pgriffith, Director of Sales at Stamford Marriott Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, May 9, 2011
Thank you for your review--your comments will help us strive to be better.
I'm glad our free shuttle to/from the train station was a hit, as well as our central location right across the street from the Stamford Town Center Mall. You just can't beat our location which is 'next to everything'.
Our top floor IS under renovation. This level is being converted to high end office rentals, for short and medium term tenants, and should be ready by end of summer. New energy efficient windows are being installed all around that space over the next few months.
I'm confused that you felt our rooms were 'dated' since all 500 rooms were renovated just two years ago. In the past 6 months, we have also spent millions on our Ballroom, a brand new lobby, new Sam's restaurant, and health club on the first floor. These massive investments will help us better serve all our valued customers.
I hope you will return to the Stamford Marriott Hotel & Spa again soon, and thank you for writing.
New Hampshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2011

I remember when Marriott meant a decent class stay in a hotel. Either I have changed or Marriott has. I don't always expect a lot out of some of the Marriott brands but I do expect a little more from the Marriott line. The hotel, rooms, pool and spa are all old and tired. The walls are paper thin, the heating/cooling system extremely loud and inaccurate (it came on every 10 minutes to blow cool air into a very hot room--set for 60 never got below 75.), and the staff while not rude, were certainly not helpful.

The location is good if you are on your way to New York City, but I can't find any other reason to want to stop in Stamford. The mall is right next to the hotel and offers a reasonable food and shopping choice. My daughter enjoyed the pool, but it is small and in need of some touchups. We dined in "Sams" for breakfast. Good buffet, typical, and expensive.

We also had the displeasure of staying while a large and rude convention was at the hotel. We couldn't sleep because of the noise in the hall and rooms. I called to the front desk and was offered no help. In the morning when I checked out, I again complained and was met with "sorry, but this was a tough night with the convention in town." I was supposed to return to the hotel 3 nights later on my way home. I cancelled immediately, and again was offered no real apology or amends.

This is a very expensive Marriott, charging guests additional for wifi and parking. The whole place, including the name and spa, are just a good front for an average outdated hotel.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Storrs
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2011

I'm a Marriott Platinum member and have stayed at many of the Marriott branded hotels including Renaissance, Residence Inn, Springhill Sutes, Courtyards and the standard Marriotts. I'm pretty loyal to Marriott as I have never really been disappointed with any of their hotels, except this one. When I book a hotel the things that are important to me are that it is clean, fresh smelling, decorated nicely and lacking artifacts of previous guests. The room I got was musty and smelled like the refrigerator was defrosted into the carpet. I wouldn't say the room was not clean but it was outfitted with what appeared to be circa 1980 furniture with signs of wear. The bathroom looked old too. I complained about this when booking my reservation for next week and was told that all rooms in the hotel were renovated 3 years ago. I really doubt that. The lava lamp lookalike on the desk took me right back to the 70's. ...and the kicker, it's one of the most expensive Marriotts I've stayed at. Going to give it 1 more try this week.

Room Tip: If you're platinum ask for an upgrade.
Dawsonville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2011

Staff friendly and courteous. Beds are the most comfortable ever. Maid service was wonderful. Kept supplies stocked for me. Lounge has great food and great staff. Had a great time while there even though it was a business trip. It is located near a Mall for shopping and other resturants within walking distance. Would stay there again if ever in the area.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Albany, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2011

The thing I loved most about this hotel was the comfortable bedding, I slept so well every night, which is of great importance to me when I travel for work. The staff was responsive to all requests and very polite. The concierge lounge was kept well stocked. The hotel is clean and is in a great location. I think for its size it could use more cardio machines in the work out room but I was able to keep up my fitness routine. I did not explore the surrounding area.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business