“Ignore the Bad Reviews”

Cuisines: Pizza
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 12, 2013

I'm just going to say that a bad review of Colony Grill says more about the reviewer than it does about the joint. You don't like the atmosphere? You didn't grow up in Stamford. You don't like the service? You grew up in NORTH Stamford. Can't find a place to park? You grew up in Montana. You don't like the pizza??? You grew up in the back of a Shakey's.

I haven't been there in a quarter century, yet I understand it's still pretty much the same as I remember it. I used to bring friends there who lived in Chicago and Philly, and I would brag on the Colony. They would all say, "Oh, I'm sure it's verrrrrry good, but there's this place in my old neighborhood..." After they tasted the pie, they would all, to a man, say, "Yup, you're right. Best I've ever had." What does that tell you?

Reviewed March 25, 2013

The crust of this down town Pizza place is crisp and thin, which we like immensely, BUT the sauce tastes just like Campbell's tomato soup! It they learn how to make an Italian tomato sauce with some oomph to it, maybe we'll try again?

1  Thank Sandy M
Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

Colony used to be a go-to place for their super thin crust, hot oil pizza. Not anymore. Apparently the guy who created the pizza opened his own place in Stamford and that's where you can get the original. This place is now just a dark, dingy bar with bad food - and expect to wait a really long time for it. The waitresses look and act like indentured slaves who are being forced to pay off their passage to America. Skip this place at all costs.

2  Thank Michael G
Reviewed March 6, 2013

A dark little restaurant with a blue-collar vibe. Pizza on paper plates. Service friendly, but not exactly enthusiastic. Locals tell you its the best pizza in Stamford, and possibly the world. Well, their taste buds must be different from mine. I found the pie in the Colony Grill to be ordinary, greasy and sloppy. The mushroom topping I ordered tasted like it came out of a can. Who would put canned mushrooms on a pizza? Certainly worth a visit because the local opinion can't be that wide of the mark - but the pie I tasted was memorable only because it was so disappointing.

Reviewed January 26, 2013

Hot oil pizza is fantastic...... but service is awful. Absolutely no ambiance. Food served on paper plates. Very dark. Do take out instead