“If You Like French Food, This is The Place”
Review of La Bretagne - CLOSED

La Bretagne
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 11, 2013

This is my wife's favorite place to go on special occasions. Authentic French food, old world service, a pricy, but fair, menu. Located near the Stamford/Old Greenwich border, and just off I-95, it's easy to get to and not too difficult to get into. Reservations help.

There are newer reviews for La Bretagne

Reviewed December 7, 2012

There is nothing hip or in about La Bretagne, but if
you relish old world service, Good basic French food,
having the peace and time to converse with friends, this is your place.
I often feel as if I've stepped into a movie while here.
The clientele is generally older and most probably wiser and remember
how restaurants were in the 1970's & 1980's.
Think small local, neighborhood restaurant in France with 1970 decor .
You'll love it!!!!!

Reviewed November 5, 2012

For me, La Bretagne has the trappings of a fine French restaurant. It is dignified, the space is nice (thought it is rather noisy), and the service is attentive and elegant (such as the carving of a duck with orange sauce). However, at least for the one meal that we had there, the food was mediocre from start to finish, to wit: the bread, the butter, mushroom soup, scallops with Brittany lobster sauce, duck with orange sauce, and pecan pie. The best part of the meal was the bowl of wrapped candies on the way out.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

Food is authentic, It is a high quality...but the place looks a little shabby. definitely needs an update. It is full of local regulars the food is really good but the ambiance is that of a stuffy 1950's cliche' french restaurant. Waitstaff looks like they are waiting to collect social security and they are just about that fast. Also if you are a wine afficianado pay attention. we ordered a 2006 Bordeaux they brought us a 2008 vintage same name. I asked "this is a different year" they told me that it was just as good, the menu hadn't been updated. I asked for a price adjustment. They said no price adjust "do you want it or not?". I of course took it . The wine was fine just thought they could have given me a break on price.

1  Thank RickBlane
Reviewed October 2, 2012

My French born wife commented that her dinner was like one you would get in France. Never heard her say that before.

2  Thank jhr2000