“Best place for Italian food, pizza in the area”
Review of Mario The Baker

Mario The Baker
Ranked #65 of 471 Restaurants in Stamford
Reviewed July 24, 2014

This local restaurant has been around for more than 40 years and for a very good reason: It serves the best Italian food and pizza in the area. Located about a mile south of the Merritt Parkway, at Exit 35, it's often very crowded on weekends, especially in the evening, but tables open fairly quickly and the food's worth the wait. Service can be spotty when it's busy. Prices are fair. Parking is a mess; not enough spaces and tough to park nearby.

Reviewed May 19, 2014 via mobile

My opinion....Parking is horrible, so they should make a deal with a neighbor.  The food quality is fine. Our waitress forgot our water and she was missing.  I go to someone at the cash register to ask for water.  She was not doing anything but instead of getting the water she tells someone else ... who is actually busy.  She then goes back to doing nothing at the desk. The waitress hand wrote 'cash only' for the tip even though their credit card machine indicates it is supported. To me, this has the appearance of being shaddy.

Reviewed April 26, 2014

This has been our favorite stop for years, while driving past Stamford, and the pizza and calzones have never disappointed. We finally had a chance to do a sit down meal. Salads were large, sausages were good, but pizza was still supreme. Not fancy at all, but decent food at reasonable prices. Attentive wait staff. Real homey feel. The pizza is to die for . . .

Reviewed March 5, 2014

We generally have dinner here every-other Friday night. The food is always great and the selection too. The staff is always friendly, courteous and very helpful. Always a great meal to be had here!

Reviewed March 1, 2014

I cannot really give them an excellent rating -though it may be deserved - because all I did was stop in for a quick slice of pie. But, based on fact that I got leftover pizza - and it was excellent. Right amount of sauce, lots of cheese, great thin crust. I will try to come back and give them a full try.