“Mixed feelings”

Cotto Winebar & Pizzeria
Reserve with OpenTable
Cotto Winebar & Pizzeria is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #47 of 471 Restaurants in Stamford
Cuisines: Italian, Wine Bar
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: from Main street to Atlantic street
Reviewed February 16, 2014

My husband and I tried Cotto last night and had mixed reactions, with it barely meriting a very good in my opinion.
In its favor, the decor and visual ambiance (with one exception noted below) is pleasant. They seated us immediately and the staff was very attentive. We each had a very good appetizer -- the eggplant caponata and the beet and goat cheese terrine. The wine was fine. The small plates menu looked interesting with many things I would like to try.

On the other hand: We found it hard to hear our waiter due to the noise level. The fairly small dining room is stuffed full of tables so you are almost touching elbows with your neighbors. The waiter had to come up behind me to speak to us and access the table. In addition, I was facing the back of the restaurant, where there was a ceiling mounted TV playing a movie, which was very distracting. I cannot figure out why someone thought this was a good idea. All in all it was not physically comfortable for me.
Our entrees were disappointing. My husband had the ravioli of the day and I had tagliatelle with bolognese sauce, and both pastas tasted very flour-y and overall the dishes were uninteresting.
Although our waiter was obviously trying very hard, he interrupted us a little too frequently and seemed very hesitant. The busboy asked if I "was still working on" my entree as soon as my husband finished his ravioli, which never fails to irk me.
We will probably go back if we could sit at the bar and stick to small plates or try some entrees other than the pasta.

1  Thank Barbara2265

Reviewed February 9, 2014

After waiting 35 minutes for our reserved table with no apology except for a shrug of the shoulder we left. What particularly annoyed us is that another party of the same number who arrived at least 10 minutes after us were seated first. The owners obviously knew them well as there was friendly banter between them. We found out that their reservation was for the same time as ours. We had been going to Cotto since it opened but never ever again.

Cotto has tables crammed in and there is nowhere to wait. It is not much fun standing In the doorway holding your coats and being shoved and jostled as staff try to get to the till or serve people sat In the corner. We had been told our wait would be five minutes and received no updates on how long it would be. I don't think we are unreasonable people but over thirty minutes is beyond a joke. An offer of a glass of wine would have been nice.

A real shame but they need to revisit their customer service and perhaps only take bookings they can fulfil.

We left feeling let down and with the feeling that they absolutely couldn't care less.

1  Thank Chrissie10001
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Had dinner hear in late December with some friends from work and I loved it. Cool little bar with great pizza and the server was so nice. I can't wait to go back with my fiance.

1  Thank JHart45
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Dined here with my wife before a movie. We sat at the bar. We were the only ones in the restaurant from about 5pm till 6pm which made it very intimate. The inside was nicely lit up with Christmas lighting, and had great ambiance. Felt like a small Italian or NYC place. The bartender and the Manager were very attentive, and you could tell they paid attention to details. The apps were very good. We were not blown away by the entries though, not a flavorful as we would have thought. Both of ours were good, but not spectacular. That said, with the great service, location in downtown Stamford, good apps, and ambiance, it is a good place to go. I have been here for lunch a few times also, again would stay with the small plates and apps. We will definitely come back again.

1  Thank Fool for the Beach
Reviewed November 30, 2013

Have been to this restaurant a few times, primarily because they have a good wine menu. After being repeat customer and spending molto dollars here, we were handled with the appropriate care and consideration. I went with my husband and son. Upon the recommendation of the waiter, I ordered the ravioli special which was spinach and ricotta ravioli with four cheeses. Our plates arrived and I bit into three of the ravioli and although the cheese sauce was hot, the inside of all three ravioli that I tasted were ice cold. Obviously, the ravioli was frozen and not homemade as they claimed. My plate was taken away with an apology. By the time a new plate was returned, it had fewer ravioli, the cheese sauce was thicker and my husband and son had already completed their dinner. I understand that things happen but the dish was not comped nor was even one glass of the four glasses of wine we ordered comped. After the repeat business we have given this restaurant, I was shocked that there was no attempt at some compensation. We will never return. These people don't know the value of repeat customers.

1  Thank FrequentRestaurant