“Trendy place with tasty food”
Review of Dolce Cubano - CLOSED

Dolce Cubano
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Stamford, Connecticut
“Trendy place with tasty food”
Reviewed November 16, 2013

We went for a girls night out to this restaurant.My friend arrived earlier and booked us a table, since they do not accept reservations. For Friday night, the place was relatively packed, and getting busier. We were promptly seated, close to the gigantic fireplace, so you can feel warm and cosy right away.The music has a Cuban vibe, but the restaurant's decor is much more upscale and elegant. Fireplace, dinner candles and candelabras give a nice comfort feeling, and definitely make the crystal chandeliers stand out. It is perfect spot for a date, very romantic even if you don't get the Marina view outside.
Back to the table, we were promptly seated and our drinks brought. Girls praised their sangrias, I enjoyed my Moltepulciano.The small plates arrived quickly, and entrees soon thereafter. We had Brussels sprouts, which are pout of this world. Even if you absolutely hate them, it will amaze you. They are fried in truffle oil, so you will crave for them for a while. Calamari were OK. Throughout the dinner, Manager and waiter approached our table repeatedly, making sure we had everything.It was nice and more of a personal customer service than other restaurants, and well appreciated.
I had vegetable grill entree, and it was very well prepared. Nothing spicy or anything of that sort, but well done and delicious.We lingered a bit longer, even after we paid the bill, being so comfortable there and we were pleasantly surprised to be served dessert on the house.The tiramisu and canolli dip was really scrumptious.
I recommend Dolce Cubano, and will surely be back with my family there. If it's so good, gotta share with my folks!

• Visited November 2013

“Great food and a fabulous view”
Reviewed November 6, 2013 via mobile

I had lunch here with friends. The restaurant was quiet and the welcome was friendly.

We all had a combination of soup and tapas and I had a fabulous Caribbean fish stew, which took a while to arrive, but which was well worth the wait.

Good service and reasonable prices make this well worth a visit.

Visited November 2013
Stamford, Connecticut, United States
“excellent food and views”
Reviewed October 19, 2013

I have eaten here several times and like it very much. the food is unique and excellent with a nice variety. I love their lamb chops, spicy shrimp and scallops, miso glazed sea bass and their paella. Small plates are a good option. It is a little frustrating they don't take reservations. The wait staff quality is inconsistent but acceptable.

• Visited September 2013
“Excellent!”
Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

I really enjoyed everything here. The food was great and the place had a great feel and ambiance. I will be back in a heartbeat.

Stamford, CT
“Attitude for nothing”
Reviewed October 7, 2013

With such a beautiful location at the marina in Stamford, it is a shame this newish restaurant's staff lacks humility. Reservations are not accepted and the wait time is interminable. When we arrived, around 6:30 PM on a beautiful Saturday night, the host took my first name and told us there was a 20 minute wait. We should get a drink and he would find us when our table was ready. No beeper system, nothing. 30 minutes later I approached the host and he had no idea who I was - asked my name to put it on the wait list! When I told him we'd been waiting for 30 minutes he again told me he would find me when our table was ready. About 20 minutes later we were finally seated.

The restaurant is beautiful and that's about the only positive thing I can say about the place. The servers are arrogant, with attitudes that we should be grateful for their slightest attention. The prices are high and the food quality was average at best considering this level of hype. The bar was packed with 30-ish hipsters seemingly wanting to mingle and that may be the best draw of this venue. Upscale pickup bar? I do not think most of these people came for the food, which is fine, just let's not hype the food when it is not that great.

Dining on this level should be an experience and Dulce Cubano is not that at all. Everyone, from the host to the servers, exuded the attitude that we should feel lucky to have the opportunity to be dining there. Not good. I had a cioppino-like fish stew that was barely edible due to its saltiness and it was rather small and lacking in assorted fish for its $28.00 price tag. My husband doesn't eat fish so he settled on a burger platter ($18.00) ordered medium well and had to be sent back because it came out rare. We do not mind paying for excellent food, and we understand the waterfront location commands higher prices, but the lack of a friendly and accommodating staff made this a very unsatisfying evening overall. Not the level of food/service/experience we are accustomed to at this level of hype.

2 stars for the beautiful renovation.

• Visited July 2013