“Great food, great space.”
Review of Harlan Social

Harlan Social
Reserve with OpenTable
Harlan Social is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #28 of 483 Restaurants in Stamford
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Canal Street
Transit: By train: Stamford Metro-North By bus: CT Transit stop at Market & Canal Street
Reviewed June 23, 2013

The food here is terrific. 5 people in our party and everyone loved what they ate. Homemade Potato Chips, House Made Mozzarella, Mexican Corn, and Pierogies to start. All fantastic. With these great appetizers we went lighter on the main course. Burgers, Chicken sandwich, and Gnocchi were all excellent. Wait staff was very attentive. Would definitely go again.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

Went for Mother's Day brunch yesterday and was very pleased. It satisfied three generations in terms of food quality, selection and atmosphere . It does look out on fairway parking lot, but with the outdoor tables and umbrellas, it was not unsitely or a problem. 1/3 of restaurant has a nice, well stocked bar with extensive beer and scotch selections and 4 tv s. the bar is on separate side and you cannot see from restaurant. Both sides have some really nice semi- circle booths, which I always love. One wall of restaurant is all windows providing a lot of uplifting light and energy. High ceilings are enjoyed, but do not provide great acoustics, so it can be a little noisy. Nice selection on the menu. My only complaint would be the mothers day brunch was a prix fix and fairly expensive. They should have thrown in either mimosa, wine, coffee or even a flower for the money to make it a little more festive and a little more value. Other than that small suggestion, we all had a lovely brunch and all were satisfied/ happy.would go there again. ( btw, that Fairway is the largest one i have seen and the nicest arranged. Worth a stop)

Reviewed April 22, 2013

Restaurant looks right at the parking lot of Fariway Market in south Stamford. Tried a Sunday brunch there. Great panini and short rib sandwich (per my friends), and my omelette was moist and good. Coffee passed my taste test, and service was right on. SO for anyone down on suth Canal street, give it a try.

Reviewed April 19, 2013

The menu is ambitiously creative, but there was no outstanding dish that you MUST try--and we tried about 12 of them for a group of 5. However, it is easy parking, a clean place, upscale food and drink, and not pretentious. Go with a group of friends who like good food and drink, but are not expecting to review for Michelin or Zagat. Good beer list too. Tip: don't sit near the open kitchen--someone needs to tell them that exposed fluorescent lighting is not cool and no soothing for the diners in an otherwise nice setting.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

I have come to Harlan Social 6 times now, and after the first 5 times that were so fantastic, I couldn't wait to bring 10 of my closest friends there for my birthday. After my experience there this weekend, I cannot say for sure that I will ever go back there....and the 4 couples we were with, all having never been, were delighted by the food, but not enough to compensate for the horrendous encounter with the management.

After being seated, we sat there for over 10 minutes without a soul coming over to our table. I flagged a gentleman down who was walking by, and asked him if he could get our waited. He replied, "I'm your waiter. Are you ready to order?" (I know a waiter typically comes to the table and checks if people are set with drinks, if they'd like water, etc. This did not happen.) When we wanted to ask him questions about portion sizes for purposes of ordering appetizers, his answers were flat. Us: "How many shrimp come in the tempura shrimp?" Him: "It depends. 8 or 10 depending on how big they are." Us: "So will 2 orders be enough for our table if we are ordering other things?" Him: "Maybe." This is only a sample of the single-word, non-helpful answers to any of our inquiries.

I asked for some more time to decide, and then went and found Paris, our awesome waiter from several of the times we've been there. I asked if he would mind switching to be our waiter, as we've always had such a positive experience with him. He said it would be no problem, but would I mind clearing it with his manager, Ron? He pointed him out, and I walked over to him and told him that I was here celebrating my birthday with 8 other people, all of whom had never been to Harlan before, but came because I love it so much, and we love Paris, our waiter from other occassions, so would it be possible to have him serve our table? I then mentioned that Paris had said it would be ok with him. He responded with a roll of his eyes, saying, "Well of course Paris would be ok with it; but he doesn't know about the intricacies of how the dining room floor works. I will see if it's possible." I responded by saying ok, that I'd appreciate anything he's able to do.

A little while later, the same waiter that we previously had arrived to our table to take our order. After he'd taken our order, Ron happened to be walking by our table, and I asked him if he could come over to our table. I asked him why, after kindly requesting a waiter switch, he was unable to come over to me and explain that this wasn't possible. He explained to me how busy he is, and asked how I could 'speak to him like this,' and that I was selfish for asking for something that would diminish the other diners' experience at the restaurant. I asked him for his name, as I would be including it in a letter to the management of the restaurant. He leaned in, and said, "Yes, it's Ron. That's R-O-N."

I am flabbergasted that a person in a managerial position feels comfortable speaking to a diner in such a fashion. I am also mystified as to why my request was so impossible; it seemed to me and the rest of my table that he either had an existing beef with Paris, or that this was something of a power play. When I went to the other manager to complain about my experience with Ron, he quickly made the adjustment, so that Paris would be our waiter. At that point, however, the damage was done.

I live in Greenwich and have family that lives in Bedford, a neighboring town close to Stamford. 2 of the other couples joining us live in Cos Cob, and one lives in Ridgefield. I don't believe any of them will go back, and I doubt we would return, as Ron, and by association, Harlan Social, left a revolting taste in our mouths.

3  Thank Sara I