“Very strange and not up to Hampton Inn standards”

Hampton Inn & Suites Stamford
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Stamford
Reviewed October 25, 2010

I first stayed at this property five years ago for several days on a business trip. It was a rather strange experience. My wife and I recently stayed there again, and it is still a rather strange and somewhat unsettling bordering on just plain weird experience.

This is not a typical Hampton Inn property, either in construction or management. It is apparently a rather old, somewhat charming, but sadly run-down and somewhat seedy hotel from the 1930s, judging from the architecture and decor, which Hilton at some recent point in time has acquired. Renovation and improvement have apparently proceeded at a snail's pace, since little progress seems to have been made in the past five years. To say that this property is not up to the usual high Hilton corporate standards would be an understatement.

The staff is polite but rather distant, probably because English is not their first language; they are somewhat disorganized and not exactly friendly or welcoming. A few tasteless attempts at folksy decorative touches, such as tacky novelty lighting in the breakfast area, have gone badly awry. On my previous stay, I was given a large and relatively luxurious if very dated room, marred only by a noisy refrigerator which I had to turn off each night so I could get some sleep. This time I got a room less than half that size, even though the hotel was largely empty. Apparently I no longer rate a free Hilton Honors customer upgrade.

While some common areas and hallways have had new carpeting recently installed and a coat of white paint sloppily applied to woodwork and trim (including the handle and lock to my room), much of the distressed original furniture looks even shabbier than it was five years ago and badly needs to be replaced. The bathroom sinks and counters were new, but the old tub had been poorly caulked and was in dire need of replacement. The beds are also not as comfortable as in most Hilton properties; the one in my room was both hard and sagged in the middle, so I didn't get a decent night's sleep. The Wi-Fi signal in the room was so weak as to be totally useless, even for basic E-mail.

Given that the surrounding area is still rather seedy, the unsecured and unpatrolled parking garage does not exactly inspire confidence. The disconnected security camera is the lower level mentioned by a previous reviewer remains clearly still out of service with dangling cords, a clear advertisement to any miscreants that security is not a priority.

The attached restaurant, apparently under the same management as the hotel, also provided a strange experience. The dining room had apparently been rented out for a large and VERY LOUD private party. Other people such as ourselves arriving for dinner had to fend for themselves in the bar, which is in two separate small rooms adjoining the dining room. The music from the dining room was simply deafening, making conversation with one's dinner companions almost impossible. Our waitress was very pleasant, clearly overworked, and tried to make the uncomfortable situation as pleasant as possible, not easy given the circumstances.

The food was reasonably priced and rather creative: not so much Asian fusion as Asian confusion. In addition to a somewhat expanded version of the menu to be found on-line at the hotel's website, there was a full page of "small plates" which were apparently the Indian equivalent of tapas. We ordered a number of these in lieu of a formal dinner, given the less than optimal dining conditions. They were each easily double the size of a standard tapas serving, although the quantity did not exactly make up for the variable quality. Tarragon seems to be the cook's favorite herb, as it turned up in several of the dishes. One plate of steamed al dente vegetables was heavily laced with tarragon and nothing else, apparently. The ancient bottle of beer I was served had gone stale months ago. Like the hotel stay, the dinner was also a strange and somewhat unsatisfactory experience. I don't think I will be returning for another stay.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank foodbuffs
There are newer reviews for Hampton Inn & Suites Stamford

Reviewed October 2, 2010

We stopped in Stamford on a whim and had a hard time finding a hotel with vacancy. The Hampton was superb - the staff was helpful (made a spot to park the UHaul van, pointed us toward dinner), had lovely comfy beds and a fridge in our room, full breakfast in the morning . The next night, we paid an extra $80 for a hotel room in Boston that was a third as good as this Hampton.

Would stop here again with no qualms.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 16, 2010

Fairly new Hampton Inn located close to downtown, the train station and I-95. Rooms are being renovated, and the new rooms are clean, comfortable, and reasonably roomy. The breakfast is fairly typical for a Hampton Inn, but the room is decorated nicely as a library. There is no pool and the exercise room is small with only a few pieces of equipment, but there is an on-site restaurant and they have managers specials during the week with drinks and snacks. The parking garage is a little tight if you have a larger vehicle, and can be crowded if there is an event going on in the restaurant.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 5, 2010

Each year when visiting the area we stay ot this property.
Rooms are good size especially the suite rooms. Garage parking.
Convenient location if you have car. Hotel has pick-up service.
Breakfast fine too. Has new restuarant attached but we didn't eat there.
You can expect large groups staying there.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 6, 2010

I got off 95 and wondered what I had gotten myself into. Then you drive into a nice area and see the hotel. It is really pretty and convenient to Stamford and White Plains. It is $50 cheaper then any hotel in Westchester and only 10 minutes away. The hotel was clean, and staff friendly. The parking lot was a bit of a pain, and we had to park on lower level which feels unsecure with some old stored cars there, a couple of old vans, and a security camera pointing to the ceiling. But I am sure it is safe. But does not give this appearence. Needs better lighting.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 1, 2010

My first clue to there being a problem with this hotel was that the 'Inn' sign was dangling off the side of the building. However, the cleaniless of the front desk made up for this sore eye. I booked a King Suite via a third party vendor. Upon arrival I asked to be placed in a room at the end of the hallway since my husband and I were traveling with our 2 year old. Not only was my request not accommodated, we ended up in Room 206 which is right above the lobby seating area. My issue is with the classification of the room itself. It is just a large room with a refridge, sink and microwave. We've stayed in smaller rooms with those accommodations and paid far less than we paid at this hotel. The word suite should be taken out of the equation all together. Do not book this hotel unless you confirm that you are getting the Executive King Suite; which is definetly not worth the money unless you have a large expense account. Location wise, it is a short stroll to Target and downtown restaurants. Parking was free, but at your own risk. Also, at 11:00pm I called the front desk to ask what time a party would be over-the music came right through the floor; 20 minutes later it was over. As far as breakfast...while I was thrilled that they served turkey sausage, the eggs were cold and the fruit salad was finished by 8:30. The waffle iron was a nice touch as was the yogurt, cold cereal and coffee/tea. Beware that Shelly's is closed on Sunday's. The worse part of this stay was that there was no hot water for several hours on the morning we checked out. A true bummer. Given all these factors, I would not stay at this hotel again with the same circumstances. I would definitely try my luck somewhere else.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank TravelsMyMidleName
Reviewed May 6, 2010

Downside: Location: Far away from Downtown, parking is difficult
Breakfast was nice, comfy bed, nice spacious room, free internet

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank lajababu
StamfordHamptonInn, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Stamford, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2010

Dear lajababu,

Thank you very much for taking your time to write a review about your stay at our hotel. And thank you for noticing the cleanliness of the rooms and how comfortable our beds are. We work hard to make sure our guests feel like home.

Regarding our location, I am surprised to hear that we are far away from downtown Stamford. We are actually 2 blocks away to Main St., Summer St. and Bank St. where restaurants, bars, and movie theaters are. We are also in a walkable distance to Macy's and Stamford Mall.

I hope you were able to enjoy your stay with us. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for us to exceed your expectation next time. You can contact me at 203-353-9855 ext 104.

Again, thank your time. Your feedback is very important to us.

Hospitably,