“A good experiance, but some noises at night”

Hampton Inn & Suites Stamford
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Stamford
Reviewed July 30, 2012

A decent Hampton property located within walking distance of the city. The parking is covered ,and the staff are very courteous and knowledgeable about the area. I would advise driving to local restaurants as the surrounding area may not be safe during the evening hours.
My reservation was correct, but I was accidentally booking into a room with two beds. The front desk moved me, but the room's A/C had not been activated. No problem, the room had sufficiently cooled after I returned from dinner. The staff recommended a great local pub inside the city. While it was a short walk, I did have to cross through several questionable areas. To their credit, the staff did offer their shuttle service to drive me.
The room was comfortable and clean, though someone kept slamming their doors during the night. I checked the hallway after a few late night slams, but there was no one to be found. I would suggest adding soft door closers or posting signs. This seems to work for Hilton.
Breakfast was the usual Hampton fare, but it was hot and well prepared. The manager's reception at night was a nice touch. Discounting the door slams, this was a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Traveler1Tampa, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Stamford, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2012

 Thank you for the kind words regarding our staff. We pride ourselves in being service professionals here at the Hampton Inn & Suites Stamford. We will take your suggestion concerning the doors up at our next meeting. Thank you for your great review and we hope to see you again on your next visit to Stamford.

Reviewed July 8, 2012

This is our second stay at this Hampton Inn. We needed a place to stay near enough to NYC. Everything was right - the location, the amenities - free parking, free breakfast. And the price was right. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Management response:Responded July 16, 2012

 Your complimentary review of our hotel the Hampton Inn & Suites Stamford is much appreciated! We look forward to your third visit.

Reviewed June 17, 2012

I had a great stay - the building and fittings, service, breakfast, Indian restaurant - all flawless. There is clearly a lot of attention to detail, and this review should be 5 stars - except:

You might want to be ready to solve your own problems in the evening. I asked for more of the firm pillows at around 7:15 PM stating clearly, "I am in pain due to arthritis and I need some more pillows now." After 1 hour 15 minutes and a phone call that I was hung up on, I went back to the lobby and the very young man proceeded to claim that housekeeping always lied to him about completing duties. As if I care. I waited there for about 5 minutes for the pillows to be brought to me. Pretty lame, in my opinion.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Management response:Responded June 22, 2012

We are dismayed to learn of your experience. This is certainly not representative of the level of service we strive to extend to our guests. I always utilize feedback like yours for staff training purposes and will make certain our team understands that such treatment of guests will not be tolerated! Please know your comments are taken very seriously and will be acted upon immediately.

Reviewed June 7, 2012

A great location for a stop on your way to NYC. We used it as a close location for the Greenwich Concours D' Elegance. It was a well appointed Hotel with helpful staff.

Room Tip: Ask for a room fronting the River and City view.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Traveler1Tampa, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Stamford, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2012

We are glad to hear you liked our location here at the Hampton Inn & Suites Stamford. Thank you for your great review and we hope to see you again on your next visit to NYC.

Reviewed June 5, 2012

I stayed at this HI after reviewing the feedback on TripAdvisor. I was also on my way back to Asia, departing from JFK. JFK Airport is a mere hour away from this location.

I must say this HI has some unusual charm for a HI but I had a terrible experience, and staying only a night at this location did not help raising my perception.

At around 9PM, after I came back from dinner, somebody knocks at the door. Not expecting anybody, I am waiting for the person to identify himself/herself. Nothing. The knocking stops and starts again with more insistance this time. "How can I help you?", I shout though the door. No answer. I am stopping what I am doing to check the door hole. Surprisingly, whoever that was, he/she was trying to hide as I could not see anybody. As I come back to the desk, knocking resumes, "HOW CAN I HELP YOU, WHO ARE YOU?", I yelled. A weak voice answers "Front desk".

A call to the front desk later and I learn that nobody from the front desk or the maintenance team was sent to my room. The staff in charge promises to "go check the second floor". Two minutes later, another call from the front desk advises me that a cleaning person was in the area and was trying to let me know that he/she was cleaning.

I did not clearly buy this explanation and did not exactly feel comfortable in this room.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business

We are disappointed to hear of your experience at our hotel and appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback. Management is looking into this matter. We look forward to having a second chance to exceed your expectations, and warmly welcome you back

Reviewed June 3, 2012

We stayed at the Stamford Hampton Inn and Suites, and had a very pleasant surprise. It is across the river from downtown Stamford, and you go through a working class neighborhood to get to the hotel. Not bad, just not the down town experience you may have going to the Marriott or Hilton. That said, this may well be the nicest Hampton Inn we have ever stayed in.

Formerly, it apparently was an upscale hotel of some sort; everything was high end, from the marble in the lobby, to the oversized rooms and baths. We were dropping Red Sox nation #2 off at his summer job in New York, deceided to get an early start the night before and booked this through the Hampton Website. We reserved and received a room with two queen beds. Even with that, and the usual hotel furniture there was plent of space. The bathroom was huge, too.

There was even a restaurant serving American and Indian food off the lobby. While I didn’t eat there, there was a large party and the place was hopping. I did have a martini at the bar, it was properly mixed and stirred – you never shake gin, it bruises it.

Service was OK, I was surprised that they didn’t ask for an ID upon check in, but then I am an honest looking guy. Breakfast was the standard Hampton Inn fare; there was a pleasant attendant over seeing everyone.

All in all it was a nice stay in a very nice Hampton Inn, and is reasonably priced alternative to the other hotels in the area, and since it is only 5 minutes to the Stamford train station, it is a good alternative to staying in the City when visiting New York – just make sure you get an express train.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank RedSoxNation1
Traveler1Tampa, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Stamford, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2012

We are glad to hear how much you liked our hotel and look forward to hosting you again in the future. Thank you for your review.

Reviewed June 3, 2012

This unique Hampton Inn is so charming.The building has very attractive architecture, with more than a twenty year history, as an ensuite, senior living facility, as a condo and now an Inn. Hampton was smart to retain the building with curved archways,an inviting outdoor sitting and dining area that feels like you are sitting in someone's private garden

The breakfast dining room has floor to ceiling windows for excellent light. It also has a fireplace,handsome and elegant furnishings, art pieces and nicely painted accented walls and an impressive library. The breakfast is fresh,plentiful and very attractively set up and presented.The hostess keeps it well cleaned and is available to help.

The bathrooms are also very clean with fluffy white towels. Sheets and duvet covers are sparking white and changed every day.
There is an attached bar and restaurant with a bar tender named Niall who is friendly and remembers your name from previous trips.

This Hampton Inn is comfortable and homey, not just another Inn. .

Room Tip: The Inn is set far enough back off I95, so that all the rooms are quiet
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your statement about our hotel the Hampton Inn & Suites Stamford, "This Hampton Inn is comfortable and homey, not just another Inn. We look forward to seeing you again soon.