We stayed at the Stamford Hampton Inn and Suites, and had a very pleasant surprise. It is across the river from downtown Stamford, and you go through a working class neighborhood to get to the hotel. Not bad, just not the down town experience you may have going to the Marriott or Hilton. That said, this may well be the nicest Hampton Inn we have ever stayed in.
Formerly, it apparently was an upscale hotel of some sort; everything was high end, from the marble in the lobby, to the oversized rooms and baths. We were dropping Red Sox nation #2 off at his summer job in New York, deceided to get an early start the night before and booked this through the Hampton Website. We reserved and received a room with two queen beds. Even with that, and the usual hotel furniture there was plent of space. The bathroom was huge, too.
There was even a restaurant serving American and Indian food off the lobby. While I didn’t eat there, there was a large party and the place was hopping. I did have a martini at the bar, it was properly mixed and stirred – you never shake gin, it bruises it.
Service was OK, I was surprised that they didn’t ask for an ID upon check in, but then I am an honest looking guy. Breakfast was the standard Hampton Inn fare; there was a pleasant attendant over seeing everyone.
All in all it was a nice stay in a very nice Hampton Inn, and is reasonably priced alternative to the other hotels in the area, and since it is only 5 minutes to the Stamford train station, it is a good alternative to staying in the City when visiting New York – just make sure you get an express train.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Inn at Mill River, located on the waterfront, is a hotel with peerless elegance, modern comforts & exceptional privacy. When the hotel opened in Year 1985 it had no parallel in the city and around. Although the hotel has seen much change, it has retained all of its original charm. For business or pleasure, hotel's spacious guest rooms & suites surrounded with residential ambiance offer an enclave of luxury in convenient downtown Stamford. Located on Mill River Street, easily accessible from I-95, I-287, Route 15, Route 1. Walking distance from downtown Stamford and local corporate offices. Five minutes from Stamford train station offering link to New York City. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hilton Hotels Direct, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Priceline, Travelocity, Cancelon, HotelsforEveryone, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Hampton Inn & Suites Stamford reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hampton Inn And Suites Stamford
- Hampton Inn & Suites Stamford Hotel Stamford