“Pretty much perfect stay for low money”

Courtyard Stamford Downtown
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Stamford
Reviewed January 5, 2010

Stayed at the Marriott Stamford for New Year's Day weekend. Booked through the Marriott website which got me a $95 a night deal with my AAA card. Front to end experience was quality. Superior bed, sheets, towels, shower, free bottle of water in room along with coffee maker, refrigerator, wide screen TV. This hotel offers a complimentary shuttle to the train station one which surprisingly carries no pretense of there being a gratuity one should offer the driver - wow! 24 Hr. lobby shop has all things one could need and at normal, not hiked up prices. Free coffee and tea in lobby in the AM. If I was going to nitpick there was a small amount of peeling wallpaper in my room, the (pool area) jacuzzi was not working during our stay, and I couldn't figure out how to operate the fancy and non-responsive in-room temperature control, but there things were really minor. Room was exceedingly clean, hotel was quiet, staff were all helpful and professional. I was very satisfied. Overall a very positive experience for not a lot of money. Looking forward to returning!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mzamar
There are newer reviews for Courtyard Stamford Downtown

Reviewed December 21, 2009

The Courtyard Marriott is centrally located and the shuttle service provided to the Metro-North station was great, especially on the cold days I was in Stamford.

I was able to get a king room on Expedia for $100/night and was looking forward to the experience. However, I was a bit disappointed in the room - the bathroom did not seem modern (I thought the hotel was only about 5 years old, but the bathroom appeared very dated) and the configuration of the room meant that you couldn't lay on the bed and watch television (you had to sit on the sofa).

I would stay at this hotel again if the rate was right -

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed November 24, 2009

I stayed here for 11 days in October, I stayed in a King room with a couch that pulls out into a sofa. The staff were very courteous no matter what time I went to the Front Desk. There is coffee offered in the lobby in the morning before 10:30 I think it is. The weight room was a bit small but it was never crowded when I was in there.

The hotel is located in the middle of downtown Stamford and within walking distance of many restaurants, a couple of movie theaters, a library, bookstore and there is a Starbucks in the library which is directly across the street. There are quite a few night clubs within walking distance also and the highway is not too far away if you want to get to White Plains or Port Chester or any of the other lovely towns in CT.

The train station is also nearby, a short cab ride or 20 minute walk from the hotel and you can get a train that will get you to Grand Central in 30-45 minutes depending on whether you catch a local or express. I'm headed back to Stamford for the weekend in a few weeks and I will be staying at the Courtyard again.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank BellaRaina
Reviewed October 29, 2009

This hotel is a classy, urban facility located in the center of downtown Stamford. Having tried other hotels in this area, this hotel will become my new standard when visiting my area client.

Pros
* Classy, tastefully decorated, urban lobby
* Convenience store / pantry with wine
* Clean rooms and common areas
* Desktop charging console for juicing up the road warrior's gadgets
* Comfy bedding
* Good black-out blinds effectively block city lights for a good night's sleep
* Convenient to diverse, nearby dining

Cons
* No desk clerk present upon check-in; awkward wait with no way to find someone to assist me.
* The bland rooms lack character, which is out of step with the common areas; the rooms are just like any other Courtyard in other other town/suburb across the US, which was a dissapointment.
* The peeling wallpaper in the bathrooms is out of step with the otherwise good room condition.

This hotel gives off a more upscale feel than other Courtyard properties. However, a few tweaks need to be made by management before I could rate this property a "5."

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed September 15, 2009

I've stayed at the Marriot Courtyard in Stamford several times and I am really impressed with the service there. My husband goes up there for business (we've usually tag along) and the second time he was there they greeted him by name as he walked through the entrance. I don't know what system they use for this (sounds impossible that they would remember his name from several months prior with all the guests they have) but it was a very nice touch. The rooms are clean and comfortable. We never got a room with a very good view but that didn't bother us too much. The hotel is located right in the heart of downtown Stamford. Many restaurants to choose from (and the several that we've eaten at were outstanding-food, not service). It's also only a couple of blocks from the mall, cinema, theatre and library. They offer free shuttle service in a Cayenne, very nice touch as well and is quite convenient on rainy days. The pool was a bit small but no one uses it so my kids enjoyed it thoroughly. Laundry is in the bottom level and detergent and dryer sheets are complimentary at the desk. I can't say enough how wonderful the service is here. One night I went down to make cup-o-noodles for the kids and the staff was most accomodating. They let me use the microwave, offered me hot water and a tray to carry it back upstairs. I don't think we would ever stay anywhere else in Stamford.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed September 13, 2009

I've been a fan of Marriott for about 10 years now & this place did not disapoint. This place is in the heart of Downtown Stamford. Tons of places to eat & the mall was about 2-3 blocks away. As stated in the earlier reviews they have a Cayenne Porsche that will shuttle you anywhere you want to go in the downtown area. One downside - If you go, request a room that's not close to the elevator. At night we heard every conversation that took place in front of our room. Other than that, it was a nice stay. Note: if you plan to visit within the next month; ask the front desk or google for an i-shop stamford card for meal & shopping discounts in the area. Average discount is about 10% & there's a restaurant called kona grill that gives u a buy one - get one free meal.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 24, 2009

Wow what a surprise to get this from a Courtyard. Very upscale feel with exceptional service & cleanliness. We stayed on the 9th floor (top floor) with amazing views of downtown. All restaurants are within walking distance. From upscale to McDonalds all within 2-5 minute walk. (Great Italian next door) Did not eat at hotel restaurant, so I cannot speak to it. Pool & hot tub area very small, but rare for a downtown hotel. Only negative is $10 to park. Overall great place

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family