“The best in Stamford”

Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Stamford
Minneapolis, MN
“The best in Stamford”
Reviewed August 21, 2008

Just got back from my second stay at the Courtyard Stamford and I have to say it is one of the best Courtyards. Shawn the GM and his staff are first class and will do all they can to make the stay as enjoyable as possible.

The location of the property is excellent with many local restaurants and one huge mall with in walking distance. Parking can be tight but the valet staff keeps a very good eye out for the customers.

The rooms are very comfortable and the internet service is hard wired into the desk. The bed was excellent.

The business center is nice and basic with workstations and printers. Coffee is served in the lobby each morning and the lobby has a small bar that is open from 5pm to about 11pm each night.

Last year when I was checking out my car service did not show up in time and Shawn personally drove my wife and I to Westchester Airport. This year I noticed that the hotel had a new car in addition to the Mini Cooper and the van. It is a Porsche Cayane.

• Liked — Excellent quality of the property and staff
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank jebmsp

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
New Jersey
Reviewed April 4, 2008

The courtyard is in the perfect downtown location. There are many restaurants, two movie theaters, large mall, Target superstore, Dunkin Donuts and Starbucks within walking distance. The hotel provides a shuttle to the train station if needed. There is a public library directly across the street. The hotel is clean and the staff is very attentive. We stayed in a suite on the 5th floor that had an outdoor balcony with patio furniture (nice surprise). The suites have wet bar, fridge and microwave. The only inconvenience of our stay was when we pulled out the bed for our daughter. The sheets had not been changed from the previous guest (gross!). We called housekeeping and they immediately sent someone up to take care of this. Later we received a visit from the manager and a bottle of wine for our troubles.

• Liked — Courteous staff
  • Disliked — Dirty sheets in the pull out couch.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
3 Thank NewJerseySquan
North Carolina
Reviewed November 17, 2007

I stayed here recently for meetings in downtown Manhattan. Stamford train station has biggest and best selection of trains into Grand Central when staying in lower Connecticut.

Staff is cheerful and always went out of their way to ask if you needed anything. I arrived early, before check-in, and left my bags with them, and found them neatly placed in my room when I got in that evening.

Shuttle service is excellent, and if tied up, they send someone out in the hotel's Mini-Cooper to get you to your train.

The day I checked out, I still had to go to Manhattan. I left my bags with the car attendant for the valet parking and he put them in my car as I went off to the shuttle. When I returned, I called from the train for the shuttle, which picked me up on time. In my call I gave them my valet ticket number for my car, and it was out of the garage waiting for me as the Shuttle pulled up. I had called when I was only 5 minutes away from my arrival at Stamford station!

Courtyard is supposed to be a no-frills hotel, but this one clearly caters to business travelers in a way that goes beyond a dependable and predictable room, with a very proactive staff.

I will definitely use this hotel again, for business or personal stays where I need to get to NYC.

The only downside I heard from someone was that their wireless Internet was slow, but the wired line in the room was high speed and reliable, which I used to stream audio and get work done with no glitches. The wired computers in the lobby were slower than the room connections.

They have a 15% discount and to-room billing arrangement with the Zinc restaurant across the street. While the food was a bit trendy, the service was excellent and the prices were good. I couldn't find what I wanted on the menu, but they cobbled a menu item together with the sides that I wanted instead of as listed, and it was an excellent meal.

I had stayed at the Marriott Stamford a few times over the years, and the stay at this Courtyard was definitely a superior experience. I had also used the Hyatt in Old Greenwich, and while that is a more elegant property, this Courtyard staff was definitely more attentive, and this hotel is closer to Stamford station.

• Liked — Friendly attentive staff
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank greybelt
New York City
Reviewed July 15, 2007

We booked here for last Thurs. night based on the reviews here. We arrived at 7 pm and were told that the hotel was "oversold". They put us in the other Marriot a few blocks away. This Courtyard Marriot is downtown with everything right out the door and is brand new. The other one is on the other side of a 6 lane highway. The Marriot where we booked is much smaller than the huge one we stayed at, suspicious that they do this to fill up the less desirable one. I would not have chosen to stay at the one we ended up at but we were stuck. So, book here but beware that you might just not be staying here.

Stayed July 2007
2 Thank Eleanor0413
istanbul
Reviewed September 17, 2006

My husband and I stayed here in september, 2005 when it was newly opened. The location is great, the rooms are comfortable. Although we had some technical problems at the bathroom, it was OK. The staff was kind and friendly. I would stay there again.

• Liked — cleanless, location
  • Disliked — price
  • Stayed September 2005, traveled on business
1 Thank bbasol
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed July 17, 2006

Great hotel, especially for the weekend rate I got. Squeaky-clean, brand new, central location, good service. I probably got the smallest room (smaller than usual US business-class hotels), but it was definitely enough for the family of 3. For the minuses, the hotel does lack some {minor} amenities like extra goodies in the bathroom or robes, but it was not an issue for me. Also, somewhat noisy air conditioning unit (not central air), but it was not bothering our sleep. Definitely great choice.

• Stayed July 2006
1 Thank BobMQC
New York, NY
Reviewed May 16, 2006

Having lived in Stamford a few years before, I was very happy to see a Marriott being built downtown. There are restaurants, bars, shopping, but no nice hotels close by... until now.
I stayed here with my boyfriend the night of my birthday party. The price was right ($108 for a Saturday night) and the location was just around the corner from the bar.
The room was a good size (even with a king size bed), the bathroom was roomy and the staff was friendly. The view is nothing to write home about, but people don't come to Stamford for the view anyway.

• Stayed April 2006