“Learning, exploration and fun”

Stamford Museum & Nature Center
Ranked #1 of 28 things to do in Stamford
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Owner description: Seasonal fun awaits you at the Stamford Museum & Nature Center. The 118-acre property is home to Heckscher Farm, an 18-acre working farm; Overbrook Nature Center; the Bendel Mansion, with changing exhibitions and pieces from the Museum’s permanent collection; an otter pond; Nature’s Playground; the Stamford Observatory; Animal Embassy; and more than 80 acres of hiking trails. The Wheels in the Woods Trail provides a universally accessible nature trail. Come discover, learn, and enjoy!
Reviewed August 7, 2014 via mobile

I went to the Stamford nature center with a friend and his 2 year old yen boys. What fun! We explored the playground, climbing and sliding for over an hour. Then we walked one of the trails and ended our visit with the animals. We were all so happy and so exhausted. It was a great day.

1  Thank Sharidbw
"hiking trails"
in 11 reviews
"merritt parkway"
in 8 reviews
"great place to take the kids"
in 7 reviews
in 3 reviews
"enjoyed our visit"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed August 5, 2014

it has plenty of animals, small and big and great playground (huge slide that adults are using as well as kids). The trails are made by long wooden structures hanging above the stream, between trees into the forest and have railings, so kids can run safely ahead of you.

1  Thank Barbara S
Reviewed August 3, 2014

Walked through the lovely yellow and blue cottage gardens and admired the combination of manicured and wilder gardens.

1  Thank Martin V
Reviewed July 22, 2014

I visited the grounds right after school got out (I'm a teacher) with my two girls- four months old and 2.5 years old. I paid my ten dollars to get in and parked along the lake. I had never been and was excited.

I decided we would first explore the farm area, and since I didn't know what to expect, I put my baby in the Ergo and my toddler walked. We saw the otters first- very nice setup and the deck was perfect for my toddler to get a good view of those cute little guys. We then went through the farm. It was lovely! My toddler loves animals and was excited to walk pen to pen and explore. The pigs just had piglets and they were adorable! There were baby goats, as well, and a Tom cat that chased a bit up by the horses. The farm was well maintained and it was a nice walk around.

After our visit to the farm, we went back to the car and for our picnic lunch. There are plenty of picnic tables in the shade but we laid out a big blanket so the girls could stretch out.

After lunch we used the stroller to venture over to the giant playground. It's amazingly fun! It's well shaded and has a ton of structures - both natural and man made - to climb on. Several huge slides that my brave toddler went on, as well! The nice thing- I had my huge double City Select stroller and was able to navigate the playground and the trails leading to and from it. We stopped at the little gift shop for a cold drink- we had run out! - and I was pleased to see they had some nature inspired trinkets perfect for toddlers and my wallet. My daughter picked a few farm animal toys that cost under $2 each.

We didn't do all the hiking trails but all are handicap accessible which means they are also great for us moms with strollers!

I highly recommend this nature center and think I'm going to sign up for a membership! Well 2worth $100 in my opinion.

1  Thank RoaminGnomes