“Bad Experience”

Madonia Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #59 of 464 Restaurants in Stamford
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Greenwich, Connecticut
“Bad Experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2014

We had dinner there with some long time friends on Saturday evening. The wait staff lady was great...an old pro. The food was at best average but fairly priced. The dining room was filled and included a party of about 16 people which is way too large for that room. The party was LOUD LOUD....nice to see people having a good time but this was way over the top and disrupting the entire room. I went to the check in desk and asked the hostess to speak to the owner/manager. I was told he was too busy and that they knew what I wanted and the party was soon to have dessert. I then saw the owner/manager and he refused to talk to me.

So I refuse to ever return but will talk about what an awful place this is to anyone who can hear me over the noise in their dining room.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank Joe D

Wilton, CT
“Good food but very expensive!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013

Had dinner at Madonia restaurant Saturday, 11/16/13. Food is good but not spectacular (for the price), service is okay. Very pricey and everything is a la carte. Salad does not come with meal, and is ridiculously priced. Wine is good but also quite expensive. A better value would be La Bretagne restaurant, also in Stamford. I do not plan to visit this restaurant again, unless they lower prices. Also don't like valet parking!

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank lmcannWilton_CT
Weston, CT
“Terrible Lunch All Around!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2013

I went to Madonia to meet up at this central location with two other women from faraway spots. I arrived before my party, but was promptly seated in a nice, sunny dining room and thought I'd surely be having a nice experience. However, the waitress came over about 5 minutes later, saying she'd be another "few minutes." No concern that I might have needed or enjoyed a sip of water after a long drive. My party arrived then, but it still took another 5 minutes to get water. Bread came about 15 minutes after that (about 30 minutes in....).
We didn't get to order for a while, and then our fig-centered appetizer arrived, except without any figs. No mention; no apology; the waitress just plopped down a boring bed of greens and left. It took a few minutes to flag her down, and then more time for her to determine that "we didn't get a fig shipment today." It was 1:30PM; how do you not know your lunch menu offerings by then?
So, no appetizer, because by that point our main course was being brought out.
The main course was supposed to be lobster on a bed of greens. To my surprise, out came the exact same greens that had been presented without the figs, but this time with a few measly, dry pieces of lobster that appeared to have been frozen and thawed a dozen times. If there was any dressing on the salad, I couldn't tell, and our indifferent waitress made me not want to even bother.
What a shame. I wanted to have a nice lunch with my European gal pals, who live in places where food is spectacular, but I made a huge error in judgment.
The only thing that saved the day was that they pour a decent glass of wine!

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank Erin K
Stamford, Connecticut
“My Local Favorite”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013

During the 18 months of house hunting it always seemed that we stopped at Madonia's parking lot to get our bearings. After finally purchasing our home, we needed to go to the house weekly to inspect the renovations and each time we went up, we would go to Madonia's. Turns out one of the waitresses is one of our neighbors. Their menu changes seasonally and the price fixed menu is extremely reasonable and perhaps even under priced for the value. We have eaten in the wine room on a number of occasions and the experience is wonderful. We liked Enzo and Candice, the Owners, so much that we had our wedding ceremony and reception there. Each and every guest had nothing but praise for the food, the service and the overall experience. Even the Belly Dancers enjoyed themselves. Live music on the weekends. This is a must experience for everyone

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank SenorKranks
Darfur, Sudan via Charlotte, NC, USA
“Altogether Lovely!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013

Dining at Madonia was one of the best eating experiences I've had in a really long time. It reminded me of the times when my Mom served us from meals from plates with smiley faces to encourage us to eat everything to get to the "happy face"! This was one of the first times in recent recollection that I actually got to the happy face!
The ambience is lovely. Just enough wood, just enough white. Simple, but elegant. The service was perfect; the server was attentive, knowledgeable and helpful without being intrusive or pushy. The menu was again simple, but elegant. Not so many choices that you feel as in a diner, but enough choices that you don't feel that you're being forced to order something because what you'd really like isn't there. Fish, seafood, meat, poultry, pork - it's all there. And everything is wonderfully prepared and presented. I had the rigatoni pasta with shrimp. It was green - but a light and lively green, not a pesto green. The green was the spinach. Surprise! Try THIS one on your kids, they'll never guess they're eating spinach! My colleague had the light pink rose-wine tinted penne. Was our table every adorable! He also finished every bite, so I didn't get to taste it, but I'm guessing it was great! Oh, and the obviously freshly made bread selection was great; I especially enjoyed the olive-infused bread (not olive oil, actual olives!), and it was served with a lovely white bean "dip" which should be placed on the menu - it's that good.
I had the simple affogato (coffee and ice cream) for desert. I really couldn't have eaten a larger one since I'd demolished my entrée. It was simple, and yes, elegant. The gelato is really great, and just different enough from ice cream to not really be ice cream.
Overall, I couldn't have asked for a more pleasant experience. Great good, great atmosphere, great service. Highly recommended.

• Visited September 2013