“Loved my stay at the hotel.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Zero Degrees

Hotel Zero Degrees
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Stamford
Stamford, Connecticut
“Loved my stay at the hotel.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2010

Stayed for one night in April in this hotel. I used to live in Stamford before. I was surprised to find this hotel in place of the old downtown YMCA. Booked this hotel for a weekend stay via the internet. My friends in Stamford were not even aware of this hotel when I booked it. Its brand new. Loved my stay there. The staff was very friendly. Location is in the heart of downtown with nice restaurants all around. Parking is free. Wi fi internet is free. What more can you expect.
I will definitely come back here if i need to book a hotel in Stamford. Highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2010

This is a Boutique hotel in downtown Stamford. They don't do advertizing and realy on word of mouth.

The rooms are comfortable with a good bed.

Some of the pluses

They offer a complimentry breakfast with many choices
Free parking, most downtown hotels don't
Arrangement with the YMCA for use of the facilities, the properties are connected
2 blocks from restaurant area
Free Wi fi plus 2 complimentry terminals

Unlike many larger hotels they seem interested in your comments and suggestions

• Stayed April 2010
NYC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2010

My wife and I discovered Zero Degrees through Priceline.com. We figured it would be a standard hotel and expected standard service. We were very pleasantly surprised. From the moment we stepped into the lobby, the staff went above and beyond to ensure our comfort. Our 1-year-old was treated like visiting royalty. The room was very comfortable and clean. The free wi-fi was also very useful to me. No matter how small the need, the staff was very friendly and attentive. If you're staying in Stamford and want a high quality room in a modern hotel, this is your place.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Greenwich
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2010

This hotel is really starting to grow into its shell, the staff is accommodating and friendly and the rooms are pleasant and spacious. The location is wonderful if you plan on having dinner or enjoying the nightlife of Stamford while you in Town.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Springfield, MA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2010

So we've just returned from a weekend stay at hotel zero. After reviewing their website and hoping for a new experience at this newer hotel my husband and i took a chance at the unknown. It is with regret that our stay was lackluster especially at the rate we paid. Speaking of paid, we went through hotels.com and paid for a King Suite. After a late night, I decided the next morning to ask the front desk about our smaller room. I was promptly told, "Well you paid for a smaller room through expedia there is nothing i can do." Furious with her and her lack of professionalism and 15 minutes later, we came to the realization, that they had made a mistake but again she says, there is nothing she can do since the first night we had already paid for through the third party hotels.com..at any rate after we talked she decided to fix it and did eventually get the difference of the rooms refunded to me..so customer service i give hotel zero degrees a D+

The breakfast is either powdered eggs or microwaved waffles with packets of peanut butter. We were there for 2 nights and housekeeping never came to freshen towels or tidy our room. Perhaps the most "charming" is the local trafficking directly across the street. We watched "dealings" all times of the night and even at 6:30 a.m.!! We were really disappointed with the rooms too, no coffee pot, refrigerator or microwave. A lot of money per night for pretty much nothing....oh but the rooms were pretty and the lobby (featured on the website) tastefully decorated. Everything else is a thumbs down.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Danae116
Vermont
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2009

Tried out this newly opened boutique type hotel. Booked through the hotel but they accepted the online (Expedia) rate. $111. It's located on the edge of Stamford's downtown district. Fabulous restaurants around the corner, high end shopping mall, movie theatre, very convenient. Does sit a bit on the seedy border... Stunning room - bathroom - lobby. Everything brand new and very pleasing. Wonderful bed. Some "new" hotel bumps - the parking was loosely organized. I got blocked in but the front desk attendant was so wonderful, he went down with me, we searched all around figured out what to do. The staff is a bit inexperienced but their effort is so over the top that it erases all small errors. It was a romantic, intimate little place. I highly recommend it and I hope that it does very well in the future. I would recommend that the owner offer a low introductory rate - through the winter even - to attract the crowd that likes places like this. It's a good "out of town" rendezvous.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
Chicago
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2009

I stayed at the Hotel Zero Degrees in November 2009. The hotel is a renovation of an existing building (formerly a YMCA). When I stayed, it had only been open a few weeks.

The hotel is a short walk (5-10 minutes) from the Stamford train station and was conveniently located relative to restaurants in downtown Stamford. Although it is not as good of a location as the Courtyard, it is much more conveniently located than the Hampton Inn.

The hotel was in good shape and everything felt very new. The elevator is a little slow and there is only one elevator for the building (maybe 120 rooms). Check-in was smooth and quick, as was check-out. The hotel did not slip a bill under my door in the morning though, which I usually like to see done.

The room was a pretty standard sized room with typical boutique furnishings. The room was quiet, but I think the hotel was fairly empty that night, so it was hard to tell if there would be any issues with noise. I did hear the clock tower ring in downtown from inside the room, but it was faint. I enjoyed the room but there were a few areas that could be improved:

1) Including some firm pillows in the room. The pillows were way too soft for my liking.

2) Having a tv channel guide in the room on a card or in a book. TV stations started and ended at odd numbers, so I wasn't sure if I was missing something.

3) Including instructions on how to set the alarm clock.

They had two computers with internet access in the lobby, which was nice. One computer wasn't working correctly though.

They served a spartan breakfast. There was coffee, a container of orange juice and a small platter of bagels and muffins. It wasn't anything fancy, but better than nothing.

Overall, I liked the hotel primarily for the location and competitive rate. I think they're still learning as they get up and running and can improve the experience for visitors as time goes on.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stamford
Stamford Marriott Hotel & Spa
Hyatt Regency Greenwich
#1 of 1 in Old Greenwich
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,249 reviews
Courtyard Stamford Downtown

Been to Hotel Zero Degrees? Share your experiences!