“Excellent welcoming experience”
Review of Hotel Zero Degrees

Hotel Zero Degrees
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Stamford
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Wonderful hotel! Spotless. Lovely big bathroom with bathtub which filled and emptied quickly, beautiful modern bedroom. Particularly friendly and helpful staff at the front desk and free shuttle to the station too. Good breakfast, also snacks and coffee left out all day, too. Couldn't fault the hotel, we shall return.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Timothy_Simpson, General Manager at Hotel Zero Degrees, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2013

Dear Green42,

I appreciate you posting this review about us. I am thrilled to know you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were so well received at check in. WE pride ourselves in providing authentic warm service. Thank you for posting this review and we look forward to welcoming you on your return trip.

Best Regards,
Tim Simpson

Reviewed May 29, 2013

Overall great experience during my first stay here. Very attentive staff. Clean and comfortable rooms. Easy access to downtown Stamford's entertainment district. Very nice boutique hotel. The new one in Norwalk has a great restaurant called Mediteraneo. Check them both out. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for this great review. I am thrilled to know you had a great time staying at our Stamford location and that you enjoyed the Mediterraneo Restaurant at our Norwalk location. Thank you for recommending us and we hope to see you again at both properties.

Best Regards,
Tim Simpson

Reviewed May 28, 2013

This hotel is located in a great location and they have a super friendly staff. Anastacia was professional and friendly, offering more than we expected. She gave us an upgrade to a king room and gave us detailed information of the area, etc. The room was modern and clean, and it didn't have that stuffy hotel room smell. The breakfast was a welcomed treat and a money saver. Overall, an amazing overnight stay.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Well appointed, excellent location, and good size clean rooms with a very generous complimentary breakfast. At check-in we were advised that our room was upgraded with no additional charge.

Free wi-fi and 2 computers available in lobby for guest use.

My wife and I would definitely return again

Reviewed May 27, 2013

we stayed 1 night, Sunday into Monday for Memorial Day. We did the Date Night Package
(great idea) and we also received a free upgrade to the double XL king room. (much appreciated)

the room was spotless, very little noise from the hallways, and none from any other rooms.

Sheets soft, pillows divine, bed comfortable. Bathroom had a huge shower and complimentary toiletries that went to good use.

Breakfast had a nice array of choices, the coffee was great and the hash brown and a granola yogurt cup was perfect.

there were eggs, potato, bacon, bagels. pastry, fruit, juice, tea, etc etc.

No complaints at all and we Will Definitely return :)

The drive to the area with the restaurants is quick, and we ate at Quattro Pazzi for Dinner.
There's a mall close by and 3 movie theatres, I believe 1 plays lesser known indie films, which we love. Next time!

Reviewed May 27, 2013

Located close to center of town it is a short walk from just about anything.
The rooms are fair for the price but nothing special. I did find road noise a but on the high side and add to this that the air/heater is an "under the window" unit.
Service was very helpful and shuttle service was great.
If in the area again we would choose this hotel again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 24, 2013

I booked an anniversary weekend for at this hotel because it was fairly close to home and we were just looking for a quick getaway for a few days. I had heard about it, and read that it was a nice place to stay, and the location was perfect. There was a lot of good things happening here, and some things that could use a little work, but overall it was a very enjoyable stay.

First, the good... you could not ask for a better location. Located right around the corner from Columbus Park and Stamford's dining district, there are unlimited choices on things to do. There are literally dozens of restaurants within a ten-minute walk, everything from top-end steakhouses to fast food to Chinese take-out. The Stamford Town Center, movie theaters, the Stamford Center for the Arts, UConn, shopping - all right there.

The hotel itself is beautiful. The room (at least ours) was on the small side, as fitting a business hotel, but it was nicely appointed and tastefully decorated, and spotless. The hotel was very quiet, and for the most part the staff was very friendly. There were a couple of times there seemed to be language or understanding issues, but never was anyone rude.

We had what was called a "Date Night" package, which included a bottle of wine (our choice), two movie tickets and late check out. (We stayed for two nights) Instead of movie tickets, they handed us an envelope with $22 in it at check-in, which was fine. We actually grabbed a matinee on Saturday, so they covered the snacks, too. The wine was surprisingly good for a freebie. (Sterling Merlot, I think) Free wifi throughout the hotel, which was nice and zippy.

Breakfast is included, and is passable for what it is. There was a decent spread - eggs (powdered or liquid) bacon, sausage (turkey, I think), potatoes, fruit, cereals, etc... There was coffee available 24 hrs, which really needed to be changed more often.

Now the not so great... The hotel advertises that guests have the use of the adjacent YMCA, which is true. (The building used to be part of the Y itself) However, do not confuse this for having a hotel pool. The hours are very limited, and you will likely be sharing the pool with a kids swim class or water babies. There is a sauna and a gym and all that, but the Y closes at 430 on weekends, so there is not much time to get in there. (there is a workout room in the hotel as well, I think)

There is one elevator, and it is small. It is used by guests and staff alike, so it is likely that during checkout time you may find the doors opening to a bellman with a cart, and a few guests with luggage and you are not getting on. We were on the top floor and didn't have that problem, but we say several people who could not get on.

We were scheduled for late check out on Sunday (2pm) but housekeeping opened the door Sunday morning without knocking. Good thing we had the inner latch on. They should have a schedule of that.

The most disconcerting thing happened after we checked out, actually. My wife had forgotten to pack a small bag containing her medications when we left. We noticed it immediately after we got home ( a 30 minute drive) and called the hotel. The woman at the desk seemed unconcerned and said she would tell the manager and someone would call us tomorrow. My wife told her they were medications, and she needed them. The woman reluctantly said she would check the log.

I called back and asked to speak to a manager later on. She told me there were no managers there. She said the room had been cleaned in the morning, not by "her shift." I told her that we were in the room until 2pm, and that it must have been cleaned later, and could she send someone to check. She called back later and left a message that they had checked the room and there was nothing there.

I called back and told her that this was medicine, and it was definitely in the room, and this was a problem. I asked her to get a hold of a manager. She told me there was none there, but she would call him, and have him call me. This never happened.

I tried calling and asking for the manager on Monday, and kept getting put into someone's voicemail. (Kevin) After a couple of calls, I determined that he wasn't in that day. Neither was the GM, Tim. I even tried calling the corporate office in Greenwich, but could only get a voicemail there.

Eventually I called an asked to not be put into a voicemail, and give me any manager. I got a gentleman who, after explaining, went to check the room. He called me back, said that he personally checked the room, the lost and found, spoke to the housekeeping manager and no one had reported anything. He did offer to reimburse me for half the cost of our stay as compensation for the cost of replacing the meds.

So... a really nice hotel with some professionalism issues. It's hard to imagine it was that hard to get a hold of a manager when needed. Still, I would stay there again, and I would recommend it. I just hope they do some training.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor on the street side.