“Some hits and some misses. Worth a try.”
Review of Artisan Restaurant

Artisan Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Artisan Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 18 Restaurants in Southport
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Rennell Drive
Transit: Located within walking distance from the Southport Metro-North train station, right off of Route #1 (Boston Post Road.
New England
“Some hits and some misses. Worth a try.”
Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

Has potential but not quite first rate. Went on a Monday might so you never know what to expect. The atmosphere is very nice and relaxing. For starters, the Tuna Tartare was outstanding- perhaps the best I ever had. Unfortunately, The crab cake was not even average. It was fishy tasting and undercooked on the inside. My main course was the goat cheese gnocci which was good but not as great as the Ny times review a year earlier. My wife had the monkfish which was mealy and not fresh enough to be good. She sent it back and ordered the Scallops. The scallops were ok but nothing special. Desserts were homemade and very good. I had the lemon poundcake with blueberry compote and my wife had the molten chocolate cake with peanut butter ice cream. The peanut butter icecream is a standout if you like peanutbutter. Prices are NYC prices and above average for Ct but reflect the decor and the quality that the restaurant is trying to achieve.

Barcelona, Spain
“Still on auto-pilot...”
Reviewed January 20, 2013

As I said when I reviewed Artisan 7 months ago, this is a place you just want to like. The setting is great, the location works well and the options for fine dining in the area are limited. However, it seems to be getting worse and, as others point out, it comes down to service and, to a lesser extent, cuisine. There is just no effort by the staff. The two hostesses serve no real purpose, there is still no visible Maitre d' or owner, the wait-staff is at best indifferent and the bus-staff look like they are on a race. The whole thing gives an impression of a busy train station. Energy but not of the positive kind.

The food is not bad and there are some creative dishes but served without flair or pride or even an effort to please. In my case, it was also served barely tepid obviously having sat around for a while. I would have said something but given service I would have wasted another 15-20 minutes.

A real shame. I am sure virtually everyone is from nearby Southport and that should keep them going.

• Visited January 2013
2 Thank Pedralbes74
Milford, CT
“Good scene but food underwhelmed”
Reviewed December 16, 2012

Dining at Artisan was a very good experience overall but the food was not the strongpoint. The ambience, service and overall scene were the highlights. The menu had just changed. The appetizers were stronger than the entrees based on what I sampled among the four of us. Risotto, tuna and calamari dishes were all solid. With the entrees, things took a downhill turn. The halibut was over cooked and the pork dish was dry and was surprisingly flavorless. The duck was moist but also was lacking seasoning. New England cuisine can be bland by nature but it does not need to be this bland. I would try Artisan again but the jury is out considering its cost.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank Jesse M
New York City, New York
“Bad service Uninspired food”
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Sat outside for a business lunch meeting, in early fall, few tables occupied No service whatsoever, had hamburger no flavor , no seasonings, my other guests had fish and chips greasy bland, steak average not impressed with their meals either, had to get up more than once to go back in restaurant looking for a server... throughout the meal. Anyone, to bring us another glass of wine, then coffee, servers talking in a huddle no one checking on tables outside. Terrible. Won't be back.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank Paul3021
Westport, Connecticut
“Delicious food, but indifferent service”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

So, we wanted to have a special night out with my family to celebrate my birthday. Reservations were made for the six of us (my husband, myself, 2 teenage children and my parents.) The reservationist could not guarantee a table in the regular dining room, but the lounge area, a bit more casual and energetic. We were seated promptly and we all ordered drinks. Requests for water were made at the same time. The water did not arrive for about 10 minutes and we had to make the request twice, each time the waiter confirmed that we were getting "tap water." The appetizers arrived a short while later. We ordered 6 starters which we indicated were to be shared by our party. Appetizers were randomly placed in front of each diner and the waiter left the table. After several minutes, we asked the bus boy to get our waiter. We needed plates and serving utensils. I couldn't understand why the calamari was left in front of my younger son, the fried pickles in front of my father, the lobster rolls in front of my husband etc..and yet we were clear that the appetizers were being shared. Finally the plates arrived so we could eat. As the plates were emptied, no one came to collect them and we began to pile them up on the empty table for two next to us. Meanwhile, the waiter came by to tell us that our entrees were ready and did we want them. We told him, "not yet" since we were still finishing off the appetizers and he walked away without clearing the empty plates. A short while later, he served the entrees and afterwards the plates were cleared from the table next to us. Our cocktails finally arrived with our entrees, which did not make me happy. I asked the waiter what happened w/ our drinks and he shrugged his shoulders and said, "sorry about that." Overall, the quality of food and the presentation was excellent. The service was god-awful! We ordered 4 desserts and one item was missing and they brought something we didn't order instead. The waiter apologized and said he wouldn't charge us for it. When the $400+ bill arrived, the gratuity was added on. Perhaps that explains the poor service. The waiter didn't had to work for his tip and he clearly didn't care how we felt. So, if you go to Artisan with a large party, 6 or more, gratuity is added and service may not be great. We have dined out many times at the Del Mar in Greenwich and only had excellent service. So, the real question is: "Will I go back?" I am thinking, not too soon. Friends who have visited Artisan had only wonderful things to say about the service and I am sorry to say that we were underwhelmed. The lounge had a nice vibe and great food, but our waiter was horrible and that definitely colored our experience. I will probably write a letter to the management when I get a chance.

• Visited September 2012