“Lively atmosphere, tasty food. ”
Review of Gray Goose

Gray Goose
Ranked #2 of 18 Restaurants in Southport
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Beacon Falls, Connecticut
“Lively atmosphere, tasty food. ”
Reviewed April 7, 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I went for dinner Saturday evening. The bar was busy - a nice mixed crowd - but our drink order was taken promptly. Both drinks (a mojito and a martini) were perfect.

We had our meal at one of the small tables in the bar. Our waiter was attentive and knowledgeable, helping us chose wine to accompany our entrées. The lobster bisque was buttery and delicious. I had the ravioli with shrimp, he had the tuna. Both dishes were well-prepared and the portions were neither too big nor too small.

The bill for mixed drinks, wine, soup and entrées was around 100 dollars - very reasonable when you consider the quality of the dining experience. I would like to visit again, and would recommend the Gray Goose.

Connecticut, USA
“Tout Les Southport”
Reviewed February 9, 2014

I'm still trying to figure out how Southport, Connecticut, went from being an ultra-exclusive, stodgy New England coastal town where the only place to eat was a greasy diner on the wrong side of the tracks or the yacht club (if you were a member) to being a restaurant mecca. It's some metamorphosis!

Among the restaurants that now everyone in Southport plus Fairfield, Westport and parts beyond flocks to is the Gray Goose. The building has been a frame shop, a bar and various other things over the years but nothing has been as popular as its latest incarnation as a restaurant.

First, what I don't like: the Grey Goose packs you in like sardines, which, on cold nights, is a good thing because you can be seated in an outside dining area with only tent coverings over it. What this means is that the Grey Goose is NOISY. Yes, I understand: people are having a good time but it's a noisy, semi-alcoholic good time that gets louder as the night progresses. I usually only hear about half of what my dining companions are saying.

I keep going back because the food is very good. Last week I had five divers scallops in a lemon white wine beurre blanc with champagne grapes and capers on a bed of spaghetti squash that was excellent! You can also get yummy lobster mac n' cheese (if you haven't sworn off gluten, as I have), grilled miso salmon or angus and veggie burgers (which are more fitting, perhaps, to the bar-like atmosphere and noise level).

And if you're from the area, you'll run in to several people you know, which is always fun. I hesitate to tell you that inside it's warm and toasty with a fireplace because the seating is limited, and, like Sheldon on The Big Bang Theory, I don't want you taking my spot!!

Visited January 2014
“More highs then lows..you decide!”
Reviewed January 27, 2014 via mobile

Highs:

Atmosphere at 4:30pm on a Sunday afternoon was nice. Fireplace going, quaint.

Calamari appetizer was pretty good, sauces were unique.

Homemade dessert was really a nice surprise, Apple Tart with ice cream.

Service was VERY good. Our waiter was very attentive.

The black and blue burger was pretty good, although I did not eat this, my guest rated it an 8 out of 10.

Lows:

My steak sandwich had way to many sautéed onions and wasn't very flavorful...IMO. Salad was very dark greens with hardly no dressing.

Price to value could be considered high...but it is the east coast(I'm from Indiana)

Overall, I say go and enjoy.

Bengaluru, India
“Good bar but...”
Reviewed January 11, 2014

It is a good bar, open till 1:00 AM, with food on the side. The crowd was youngish.

The restaurant side of the place doesn’t seem to be taken seriously by the management. I was looking for some small eats to go with the drinks. They didn’t have a lot of vegetarian choices.

The only vegetarian entrée was a burger. It was made well, but to go to a sit-down restaurant to eat a burger, seemed like a lot of effort.

The seating was not comfortable especially in the holiday season. The heating was uneven around the restaurant.

• Visited December 2013
Fairfield County CT
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fantastic”
Reviewed December 24, 2013

Had the lobster risotto the other night at the Gray Goose ... absolutely out of this world. One of the best meals I have ever had. Great atmosphere, great service, highly recommended.

• Visited August 2013