“Eh...”

Holiday Inn Express Southington
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Southington
Reviewed January 18, 2014

We stayed for 3 nights for some family business. Booked through Priceline for $60/night. I would be fuming if I had paid more.

This hotel is okay at best. Very close to 84, and Southington area is close to a lot of the places we needed to go.

This building is very old. They have remodeled at some point but it is mainly cosmetic. First off, the walls are thin. It's a good thing that it was fairly quiet in the halls during our stay. The front lobby area is small and cramped. The cookies and coffee are a good idea if they were actually worth eating or drinking.

The room was just okay. We were on the first floor and had to keep the shades drawn as the parking lot is right outside the window. It felt like a cave. There is no closet. Just a small wardrobe. That and the other furniture looks like it came from Wal Mart. It was in good condition though.

The Bed and pillows were very nice. One of my pet peeves is that hotels don't use king size pillows on king size beds but this was the exception. Also liked that they had both soft and firm pillows. The actual sleeping part of the room was very nice. That is the main reason I am giving this a 3/5.

The bathroom is another story. In desperate need of an update. And a plumber. It is surface clean but there is grime imbedded in the jets for the tub. I don't even know why a hotel would put that in a standard room in the first place. The spout in the tub leaks unless you jam the handle really tight. That is an easy fix so I don't get why it hasn't been done. The wallpaper in the bathroom is peeling at the seams which is probably due to there not being an exhaust fan.

The staff seemed pleasant enough. Our key cards stopped working every day and we had to get new ones. One staff member didn't want to give one to my husband because he wasn't listed on the reservation.

Breakfast was complimentary but I sure wouldn't pay for it. Hot bar but limited selection. The cinnamon buns were good though. The orange juice was yellow as it was some shoddy concentrate.

If you need cheap and are okay with a 2 star hotel this will meet your needs for a couple of days. If you need Southington I would recommend the Residence Inn which is just the next exit down on 84. We stayed there for a month last year and it was phenomenal.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank theeviltwin
WHGGuestService, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Southington, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to compose and share your review of our hotel with us and the TripAdvisor community. Your comments provide a wealth of information that I can use to make the experiences of our future guests better I thank you for recognizing our friendly and professional hospitality associates. My team works tirelessly to ensure our guests have the best possible stay they can while with us and I’m very proud of them. Many of the condition items mentioned in your review are being addressed by our engineering staff as we continually work to maintain our hotel. I’ve shared your comments with our leadership to assist them in making decisions that will better the experiences of our guests both now and in the future. Recently feedback just like yours helped us to add microwaves, refrigerators and USB power outlets to all our guest rooms. Again, thank you for staying with us and providing your candid feedback.

Rosemary Vieira

Reviewed December 11, 2013

Stayed here recently a few nights for business. What I expect from a H.I.E. Clean, quiet, pretty good breakfast, adequate room. Hotel does still have smoking rooms, which I could smell from the hallway, but not in room. Room smelled like hospital astringent upon first walking in, but could be worse.
No issues here...

Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 7, 2013

Similar experience to other holiday inn express that we have stayed at.
good clean room and decent breakfast.
we did have one problem when we left and found we had left a shirt behind. Problem was our fault f/ not checking the room before we left.
Called the hotel the next night and asked them to keep an eye out f/ the shirt and a couple days later they called that they had found the shirt and mailed it to our home. it was waiting f/ us when we got home.
If we pass that way again we would certainly try to stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

First and foremost Kesha was absolutely amazing and truly went out of her way! I couldn't appreciate her more! We had a small issue and she immediately went out of her way to rectify it ! She was right on the ball! Yes compared to other holiday inn express hotels it's slightly dated but they truly do their best and it shows . We got the room we got married in earlier this year. The housekeeping staff was excellent and went out of the way 4 us! Thank you rosemary and Kesha hope to see you soon !! Joel n Debra voos

Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed September 29, 2013

I was at this hotel for 2 nights. Staff was friendly, the room was clean. There was a fridge under the desk, I found that odd. But it was usable. Breakfast was pretty much the same as other HIE hotels but folks were very nice. I felt welcome. The bed was comfy and the room temp consistent. (many hotels seem to have a motion sensor so heat or cool shuts off while one sleeps)
I would stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 12, 2013

This is the second time we've stayed at this hotel which is conveniently located off I-84. I requested a king with a sofa bed, and even though all rooms do not have refrigerators, the room we were given did per my request. Check-in was friendly, and the hotel book coupon was honored. I was welcomed as a Priority club member with a bottle of water and snack bag. I even got the last cookie available at check-in!

The room was clean, and the sofa offered good TV viewing. The AC was quiet and controlled by a wall thermostat. When my husband tried to turn on the TV, it didn't work. Batteries were replaced in the remote, but still no TV. A service call was placed by the front desk, and just before the individual arrived, we discovered the TV had been unplugged--that was the fix! The woman who responded to the service call was very friendly and checked the TV to be sure it was in good working order. There is an outlet block on the bed table which is convenient for cpap users--no need to hunt for an outlet.

There are several restaurants in the area including Outback and Ruby Tuesday. The breakfast buffet is good, and the person in charge was very visible, replenishing food items as needed and cleaning tables. There was a pancake machine, several hot items, and the usual cold options.

This continues to be a good hotel choice for us, and we will be back.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GardenGirl97
Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here two days. The location was extremely convenient, the breakfast was great, and the beds were super comfortable. Everything was clean. Only reason I didn't give it a five is our bathroom needed a little maintenance. The tub was wearing through, probably needs to be replaced, and the wallpaper was peeling a little, same place. This all didn't make a difference to me as everything else was so spot on.

• Stayed: September 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Southington
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Bristol, Connecticut
Homewood Suites by Hilton Southington
Residence Inn Southington
Residence Inn Southington
#2 of 8 in Southington
Comfort Suites Southington - Cheshire
Fairfield Inn & Suites Plainville
Hampton Inn & Suites Hartford/Farmington

Been to Holiday Inn Express Southington? Share your experiences!