“Grossly underrated”

Holiday Inn Express Southington
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Southington
Reviewed June 26, 2013

My son and I stayed for three days. We lived in Southington for a long time until last year and know the area well. We were looking for a moderately priced place to stay. I wasn't expecting much but wow what a great find! It was clean for sure. I'm very sensitive to smells. Hotels are known for using all kinds of deodorizers to mask odors. This place just smelled good. The free breakfast in the morning was imaginative- not your usual bagels and waffle maker. They had fresh hot cinnamon rolls, and (according to my son) the coolest automatic pancake maker. Fresh hot cookies on the counter at check in too.

The two cleverest things? The pillows had big labels on their ends marked "soft" and "firm". They also had installed these black boxes on the nightstand. The box had several regular electric outlets plus a couple of USB charging sockets. Wow! No more climbing behind the nightstand to plug you chargeable stuff in! Never having seen anything like these, I had to ask about them at the front desk. They said, "we were worried that there wasn't enough places for our customers to plug in their stuff!" Can you imagine? They were worried about us!!!??

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed June 25, 2013

We were traveling to Connecticut to go to Lake Compounce and just get away for a couple nights. It was perfect for us. We had room 104 which was a King size bed and a sofa. It was very spacious and there was alot of space for your luggage (if you need alot) The bath tub was regular size but you could put it on as a jacuzzi which was relaxing after the drive to CT. They had free breakfast every morning from 6am-10am which was very nice to have. They had eggs,muffins,bagels,toast,cereal all the basic things. It was good to have. Lake compounce was very local about 5miles away from the hotel. It is in a very convienent location. There are a lot of resturaunts and stores on the main road that the hotel is off of. We asked the lady at the front desk for a reccomendation for a place to have dinner for both nights we were there. Her choices were both excellent! JD Homers which is right at the bottom of the hill from the hotel was fabulous. It is a sports bar type place. The burgers were really good and everything was cooked perfect. You also have the option to get as much fries as you want. The second night we went to J Timothys which was down the street into Plainville,CT. It was also amazing. The service and food were all very good. Overall I would stay at this location again. Very clean,Free Wifi,Free breakfast,good size room,what else do you need!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I was a little disappointed by this property. Normally we stay at the Hampton Inn but the closest one was booked. We figured that the Holiday Inn would be the next best thing. It was not that clean and the beds felt like we were sleeping on bricks.

Room Tip: Sorry, I just don't have any. The young lady in front was very nice and helpful.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Southington, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2013

Dear vglindsey,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. We're sorry you were not satisfied with the cleanliness of our hotel and the beds in your room fell below your expectations. We take all comments into consideration and welcome any opportunity to improve. Thank you for staying and we hope you give us another chance to show you how great our hotel is.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed June 12, 2013

As Southington CT is fairly central for me in CT when I am there on business. I do make a point to stay at HI's and favor HI Express because of the breakfast included. As I have now stayed at this location several times and would say overall they are one of the better ones because of their detail to satisfaction especially with Rosemary and her staff. I will not saw it has been perfect but how I guage my expereince is what they do when there are issues and they have done well to correct any issue I have had. The only thing that still needs improvement is the OJ... it is terrible but all else meets expectations for breakfast as the location is great, located right off 84 and plenty of restaurants and access nearby to start and end the business day!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 27, 2013

We were traveling to Connecticut and a relative recommended The Holiday Inn Express in Southington for an overnight stay. We made reservations a few days earlier and when we checked in ‘the room was ready and available’. The hotel is situated off I84 in the central part of the state, North of Waterbury, and has nice surroundings. The receptionist was very friendly and helpful. Our room was very clean, quite spacious with a very comfortable king-size bed and a spotless bathroom. Breakfast was included (serve yourself in the lobby), with many selections and the food was good. We enjoyed our stay immensely and would stay there again if we’re ever in the area.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 14, 2013

I stopped here due to a business trip in Connecticut. I booked the room as I was shocked to see that there were not a lot of hotels in the area. I stayed for one night on a Saturday evening and was very pleased when I arrived at the hotel. The property was clean, the staff was friendly, and the room was very nice. I especially liked the pillow top mattress. I slept like a baby even with a bad back, very comfortable. The breakfast in the morning was hot, a welcome change. The eggs were fresh, the sausage was hot and fresh. The biscuits and gravy were fresh and hot also. Had yogurt, toast, bagels, and a wide variety of juices, milk and hot coffee. Very nice. I would gladly stay again if in the area.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 11, 2013

The staff disrespected my family and i. My daughter was playing in our room and we were accused of having a dog in our bedroom, followed by telling me i was unable to stay the night with my "dog". We were not impressed.

• Stayed: March 2013
WHGGuestService, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Southington, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2013

I am terribly distressed by the comment regarding your recent experience at our hotel. We absolutely did not intend to insult your family during a noise complaint investigation and I am very sorry to find that you felt that way. I appreciate your feedback and strive to offer a pleasurable experience for every guest at our hotel so I am taking this matter up with our associates to be certain we are able to clearly communicate our policies and information to guests going forward.

Again, I’m terribly sorry for any miscommunication. Please feel free to call me directly to further discuss this incident.

Rosemary Vieira
(860) 276-0736

Also consider these accommodations in or near Southington
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Bristol, Connecticut
Homewood Suites by Hilton Southington
Residence Inn Southington
Residence Inn Southington
#2 of 8 in Southington
Comfort Suites Southington - Cheshire
Fairfield Inn & Suites Plainville
Hampton Inn & Suites Hartford/Farmington

Been to Holiday Inn Express Southington? Share your experiences!