“My New Favorite Restaurant”

El Pulpo Restaurant and Tapas Bar
Ranked #1 of 192 Restaurants in Southington
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 28, 2014

I had heard this place was good but it exceeded my expectations From the outside, it looks like a hole in the wall. The inside, however, is lovely and immaculate.The bathroom seemed new and was SPOTLESS. I mention this b/c in Anthony Bourdain's book "Kitchen Confidential" he mentions that if restaurant lets you see their bathroom and it's disgusting, imagine what they DON'T let you see in the kitchen. Ordered one tapas the share. The pork loin on crostini with cheese and pimiento. Dear lord. So simple yet so delicious. Entree for me was the diver scallops over risotto in champagne sauce. I wanted to LIVE in it, it was so good. My husb told me to keep quiet b/c I kept making "yum yum" sounds. One of the best things I've ever eaten. My husb had the fettucine de mariscos and loved it. I went a couple of months later (n March of '14) for lunch. Had Risotto de mariscos. EXCELLENT. My friends both had the Pollo Ralleno (w/ spinach and raisins). They loved it and have gone back a few times since. Service was impeccable. Food taste and presentation were outstanding. I can't wait to go back.

2  Thank schweig2

Reviewed May 1, 2014

A business colleague and I had an evening business meeting later in New Britain and were looking for a decent restaurant to have dinner before the meeting. I consulted trip advisor and found the good reviews.

I have to admit that I thought the place looked like a dive from the outside and had to convince my colleague to try it. To both of our surprise, the food and service were excellent. I had the Mediterranean Salad and my colleague had the cod cakes for an appetizer. We then shared a seafood paella which had the equivalent of about 3/4 of a whole lobster along with super fresh seafood.

I live about 30 miles away and I plan to travel there for my birthday or anniversary dinner"

2  Thank Lmprx
Reviewed April 25, 2014

Visited El Pulpo for the first time last week. We were pleasantly surprised by how good the food and service was. Seating was prompt and we never waited for service.

The food was very good to excellent. The salads (I had the poached pear salad) were terrific, with flavors which complemented the pears beautifully. Unlike some eating establishments, the chef really knows how to balance flavors and textures here.

The Paella was very good - only a little dry to my taste ( I would expect some broth in the dish, but that may just be me), but the flavors were excellent. Others in our party were quite impressed with their meals. The lamb chops were enormous and the presentation was superb.

We will certainly return as this is one of the better restaurants in our area.

2  Thank Fusion_Pilot
Reviewed April 15, 2014

The food and service are a pleasant surprise! Too bad that their building is shared by a Muffler Shop! This Restaurant deserves to be on Center Street in Southington with an outside (Al Fresco) dining area to be enjoyed when ther weather permits! Too upscale for the neighborhood!

1  Thank Rayzor2013
Reviewed April 10, 2014

We followed the lead of all the tripadvisor reviews and tried El Pulpo last night. Overall: very good!

This is absolutely a "don't judge a book by its cover" type of place. Situated in a somewhat sketchy strip store next to a auto repair shop, with a tiny sign... Google Maps told me several times "you've arrived" but I didn't see the place!

Once inside, the restaurant is quite nice. Waaaay better than you'd expect. And super clean! The windows sparkled and the bar top glistened.

Our server was prompt friendly and helpful. We got there around 7 and the place was fairly empty - it was Wednesday night. As the night progressed, the tables filled to about 50%. Apparently on the weekends it's swamped.

The food was very good. My only quibble would be that the paella was good but not the 5 bubbles I was expecting. Other than that - it's a clean, friendly, different meal option run by a local family. You won't go wrong by going.

1  Thank mprocacc