“YIKES” 5 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Southington, Connecticut
“YIKES”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

From the outside, it looks like something you might find on a college campus. Fun, but perhaps just a pizza and beer joint. Not that there's anything wrong with that. HOWEVER, this is a first class restaurant. My wife and I went there tonight. We just moved into the area and have been trying to find a good place to go to regularly, meeting different levels of disappointment. We tried Zingarella not sure what to expect. It was really something special.

First person at the door was the owner's sister, who quickly informed us that she works there as his slave for food and wine. Extremely pleasant woman, big smile, and very attentive. Our waitress was prompt and very pleasant right from the first hello. My wife ordered a glass of wine but wasn't sure if she would like it or not. Without asking, the waitress brought her a small sample of the wine before pouring the glass. I was going to comment that the glass was kind of small. In all my years working in and eating in restaurants, I never saw anyone just do that. She liked the wine by the way.

We had an appetizer of clams casino. Not the kind you get in most places. This is different. Not packed in with an ice cream scoop. More the texture of a clam cake, with a LOT of bacon on each. Nicely spiced and sauced. Salads were nice, but pretty regular for my taste. Enjoyable for a house salad.

The menu was great. Not too many selections, but all of them were tempting. I'm a fan of relatively limited menus. Places that have too many different things seldom do them all well. Zingarella has a nice selection of pasta, sautee's, appetizers, what looks like a great zuppa de pesce and pizza. I was tempted for the zuppa, but went with the veal lasagna. It was AWESOME. My wife had veal marsala. Also awesome. I HAD to help her eat it. I had the chocolate mousse, and she had tira mirsou. Both great. I even had them slip me a slice of pizza at the end, because I had to know if it measured up. It does.

The best part of all of this is that everybody working there knows what they are doing. A nice blend of understanding the urgency of what they are doing, and enjoying it too. It comes across to the customers. There is a very young lady, about 16, working the counter who is so zoned in at what she's doing it was impressive to watch. She was there to help all the staff, delivering dinners, clearing tables and working the register. We spoke at length with the owner about his staff, and he told me the young lady has only been working there for about a week. Truly amazing find!

This place has been open for a year. And Mark, the owner, never worked in or owned a restaurant before. That's the only thing that's pissing me off about this place. I worked in restaurants for over 20 years, and there is no way I could put a place together the way he did.

If you are in the Southington area and want someplace that is fun and special, this is the place to go. We'll be back. Often.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Dennis D

Fort Myers, Florida
“Tops of our list in Southington”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

We have been looking for a local place to frequent and may have found it. Zingarella is friendly, professional and excellent. The staff was attentive and the owner made us feel welcome. The veal lasagna, veal piccata, clams casino, salads with balsamic or blue cheese dressing, chocolate mousse and tiramisu were all excellent and rivaled restaurants we have visited in New York and Los Angeles. Zingarella will definitly become a regular stop for us.

• Visited January 2013
Cheshire, Connecticut
“Nice find in Southington”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

Went here for the first time this past Friday night with friends. It was great, good service we had drinks at the bar while waiting for our table and found a very friendly staff that was eager to please. We will most definitely return as we did not
order the pizza, but it sure looked good. All our dinners were great and a must order is the meatball appetizer.

Southington, Connecticut
“Very good food, friendly service in Southington”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2012

My family and I went to Zingarella on a recent Saturday evening for dinner. We were seated promptly, asked for drink orders right away, and the experience stayed positive from there.

The decor is cozy with large booths. We were comfortable. The menu is large enough as are the portions served. One of our family members had a wonderful veal dish, one had a delicious chicken marsala, the teenager had an "awesome" pepperoni pizza, and I had a delicious lasagne done Bolognese style (nice bechamel sauce with the meat). Each entree came with a generous house salad, which is rare these days.

Our waitress was quite attentive and took great care of us. We will definitely return!

• Visited June 2012
Wolcott, Connecticut
“Good Pizza”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2012

Have been there 3 times for pizza in the past few months. Thin crust and very, very good. The reason I'm rating them just average is the service. I know they're still pretty new but service tends to be slow and inconsistent. Servers have been very slow about re-filling drinks. The second time we were there we just about finished our meal before we could get anybody's attention to let them know we needed refills. Then we waited for 15 minutes to get the check. There was a line of people waiting to sit down but we just sat there. Portions are a little small and there is no bread. I've never been to an Italian restaurant where there is no bread for the table. The other thing that's a little odd is the fact that there are only 2 choices of salad dressings. If they could fix those few things this could easily be an exceptional place.

• Visited May 2012