Residence Inn Southington
$153
Doubletree.com
$70
$119
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsbasketball courtdunkin donutsfront deskoff the highwaypots panssundaelight sleeperwafflesfull kitchengreek yogurtqueen bedroom was cleanindoor poolout of statehot tubliquor storetop floor
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Suite was large. Bed, furniture, bathroom were as good as we expected- good. Breakfast, the usual fare was nice. Just off the highway and many stores nearby including Starbucks in Target store is a plus. Good value.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 23, 2013

It was the LEAST relaxing stay in a Residence Inn for my family. We were put in a 2nd room floor for 5 nights but they also put a family with small children who kept running, jumping & playing basketball all day in their room & most of the evening. Complained several times to front office & management but all they can do is offer to move us to a lower floor with 2 separate (adjoining rooms) instead of our 2 bedroom with our son who is relaxing before going to cancer camp. They won't move the family on top floor with kids because they're staying for a month. My husband who stays here every other week on business said this is the worst hotel stay he has had. Can't relax after work because of excessive noise. So I guess management prefers to just take on the noise complaints from several guests & lose revenue, gain several bad reviews because they prefer to keep excessive noise just so they can accommodate 1 family. In the era of social media, this is bad business.
As for the hotel itself, nice location, clean hotel, friendly staff. It is the only reason I did not give it a terrible rating. My suggestion is put family with small children who likes to jump & run (especially staying a month) to the bottom floor so that they don't disturb guest below.

Room Tip: Ask if there are small children on room above you.
Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Joy2p
Reviewed June 21, 2013

I've stayed at this Residence Inn a few times when I am visiting the company I work for in Cheshire about 5 minutes away. This is a very good hotel, but like other reviews have indicated the walls are thin and the rooms the face I84 have quite a bit of highway noise. Request rooms elsewhere in the hotel if possible.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Spent a couple of days here while visiting my children. The high points of this property are the location, which is just off I-84, close to ESPN, Lake Compounce and the Mount Southington Ski area. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Both the evening snacks and the morning breakfast are fine and typical for Residence Inns. There is a Dunkin Donut right next door and a convenience store within walking distance. There are plenty of good restaurants just a short drive away in downtown Southington and there is also a Target just on the other side of the interstate. On the downside I truly think this hotel is in serious need of an overhaul. Our room was fine but dated. The bed actually sagged in the middle, and although the rooms and furniture were clean they were dated. We also had the distinct smell of cigarette smoke whenever we entered our room. Now this may seem a bit petty but when you check the rates for this property you will notice that they are usually the highest in the Hartford area and I believe as such the quality should be reflected. So I would say that if it is location is your top priority or you are using rewards points or an expense account I would say there are better values in the area.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 23, 2013

This was my first trip to CT and I had no knowledge of the place prior to this trip. I went to CT to attend a wedding and chose this hotel as it was halfway between the reception & ceremony. While the rest of the wedding party was driving halfway across the state, I was only 15-20 minutes away from either venue.

I was only supposed to be here for a few nights, but Hurricane Sandy changed my plans a bit and I ended up being here for 10+ days. It ended up being a great place to be stuck.

First, the hotel is located on I-84 in Southington, CT, just south of Bristol, CT. As others have noted, nearby is a Target, Lowes, and Dunkin Doughnuts. Head north on West St and you'll run into ESPN. Head E on Hart Street and you'll run into Queen Street, the main drag for Southington, with shops & restaurants. Nearby is Lake Compounce Amusement Park and Mount Southington (skiing). You can get to just about anywhere in the state within an hour, so I made side-trips to New Haven, Hartford, Waterbury, Southbury, and Newtown.

The hotel itself was immaculate. I honestly thought it was brand new. It apparently had been remodeled a year ago, but it honestly looked like it had just opened. The rooms are in the newer "red" RI style. I had a studio w/gas fireplace overlooking the center courtyard. The room was standard size for a RI, which was plenty spacious. The bed was the older-style innerspring mattress, but I slept great on it. Not too hard, not too soft, not lumpy. Just perfect. The gas fireplace was awesome. I'm a Floridian, so fireplaces are rare things. For reference, the fireplaces don't need electricity to work, so I still would have had heat & light even if Sandy had taken out the power. Grounds were also immaculate. Even though it was at the end of fall, it was difficult to even find a leaf out of place.

Hotel staff also made a great impression. It's one thing to be staying at a hotel. It's another to be unable to get out of the way of hurricane which the area hasn't seen in some time. The hotel had severe weather plans and passed out memos to everyone of their details, which also included handing out flashlights to all guests if the power were to go out. Stephanie at the front desk was a delight to work with. From calling the hotel prior to my arrival, to handling things during my stay, she was always cheerful and upbeat. Even with a hurricane approaching. Other notable people included the dining room attendant and evening housekeeper. Even with tropical storm force winds, they still showed up for work and were happy to be helping out-of-towners.

Breakfast was the typical RI fare (which is a good thing!) and there was fresh fruit along with yogurt. I had dinner on a few nights and while it wasn't anything elaborate, it was quite good. I know it's not mentioned often, but it's a nice touch when you arrive at the hotel in an unfamiliar area. Just check in, unpack the car, have dinner & relax. It also came in handy when weather started getting rough.

Laundry facilities were clean and reasonably priced and there was never a wait for a washer or dryer. Another nice perk about a Residence Inn, and came in handy since I hadn't planned on spending that much time away.

I didn't find the building to be overly-noisy. It's typical midwest/northeast construction, rather than the concrete bunkers I'm used to seeing in the tropics. I'd occasionally hear someone in the hallway, but not enough to be disruptive.

I honestly can't think of anything which could have been improved on. Everything just worked and did so effortlessly. The hotel was immaculate, staff were fantastic, and even with the hurricane we never fully lost power. I got a few extra days to explore and enjoy CT. A perfect stay.

Room Tip: Rooms facing away from the highway are quieter Gas fireplaces are available in some rooms, ask and you might get one.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple