“A good place to eat when you want Indian”
Review of Namaste India

Namaste India
Ranked #16 of 189 Restaurants in Southington
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Buffet, Reservations
Hartford, Connecticut
“A good place to eat when you want Indian”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We have eaten there several times for dinner and their lunch buffet. Though a carnivore at heart, I order from the vegetarian dishes and have never been disappointed. My wife usually orders a lamb dish. The food is very good. Service is good though occasionally, like any other place that attracts a crowd, they get get overwhelmed.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank CT_Traveler_Sport

Connecticut
“Good News and Bad News...”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Here's the good news: the food was really really good. Really.
The bad news: This was the poorest restaurant service ever. I called to make as reservation about 2 hours before we intended to arrive. I was told no reservation was necessary for just 2 of us. "Just walk in," I was told. We arrived at around 6:30 and couldn't just walk in because there were several couples waiting at the door in the small hallway. "Sorry, you'll be number 3 to be seated," we were told. The 2 couples in front of us were seated within about 20 minutes. By the time we were seated... an hour later, there were at least15 people jammed in the small hallway waiting. We watched several couples leave while we continued to wait. It was infuriating. But since we were next, we continued to wait.
Only 3 people were serving the full restaurant... serving, cleaning up, taking phone calls, taking payment, giving carry out service. Insane.
As good as the food was... lousy service = not worth it. Too bad.

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank Tom W
Wallingford
“Small, cozy restaurant. Prompt service!”
Reviewed March 23, 2013

My girlfriend and I had never had Indian food before visiting Namaste. We were both very impressed with the service here, our water glasses were filled whenever they were getting low, our waiter was very attentive, and they bussed our table quickly.

The pricing here is reasonable, about $13 on average for a meal. We both really enjoyed the presentation; they give you a community rice bowl and then add your entree and rice to another plate as you see fit. It's fun because you can share meals very easily and get a taste of several things. This is a very, very small restaurant but has a nice homey feel to it (I could have fallen asleep in my chair!). My only complaint is the bathroom location. It's located directly in front of the kitchen doors so if you have to wait like I did you will definitely feel like you're in the way!

• Visited March 2013
Prospect, Connecticut
“Great Food!”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

On a recent Saturday evening we were trying to decide where to go for dinner when I remembered that a couple of my Indian colleagues had highly recommended this restaurant.

Seven of us made the decision to give it a try; six had never had Indian food. It turned out great!! Everyone found something they enjoyed.

We decide to make a reservation for 6:30 and were glad we did. When we got there at 6:15 the place was filling quickly and there was a line waiting to get in. The restaurant is nothing fancy but the food is good, plentiful and inexpensive.

Not being familiar with the cuisine, we asked the advice of the waiter. He selected 4 appetizers to try and based on individual preferences was able to find something for everyone to enjoy.

I highly recommend Namaste India. The service is good, people friendly and the meals are very reasonably priced – we’ll be back!

• Visited January 2013
Southington, Connecticut
“Meh”
Reviewed November 21, 2012

Whenever I have a craving for "Mummy" food, I come here because it's the closest restaurant to my home. If it was up to me, I'd travel down to down town New Haven, Avon or go for a dosa run in Middletown. It's always been a hit or miss with each visit. Yesterday's meal was good but my caucasian husband was extremely disappointed they no longer had his lamb pops on the menu. He's very picky and before he met me his idea of "spice" is simply salt and pepper. He'd often complain that they don't really fully accommodate his needs like other Indian restaurants we've visited. He loves tandoori chicken and one time he had specifically asked the waiter to make it as extremely mildly spiced as possible. The waiter said it couldn't be done and suggested another item on the menu to fit his palette (or lack thereof). I feel bad for him but he's a trooper. Since my family comes from the North-Western part of India, I was raised a vegetarian and I'm accustomed to selecting items from that part of the menu. During my first visit, I was slightly disappointed of the menu that boasted regional selections from North-eastern India. Items like Chana Masala and Aloo Gobi, Bhagan Bharta found in nearly every restaurants I've visited. I've gotten more Indian varieties from the deli/cafe section of Cosmos International grocery store in West Hartford!! We'll continue to come here out but very infrequently.

• Visited November 2012