“In my opinion Cava is....”
Review of Cava Restaurant

Cava Restaurant
Ranked #7 of 192 Restaurants in Southington
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Business meetings, Large groups, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Cava has established itself as a taste of luxury. An experience of Old world charm and romance, both in its decor and cuisine. Its upscale fine dining experience caters to those looking for an evening out, a special occasion, or private events. The cuisine is authentic Italian, using the finest ingredients. The menu alone exceeds any expectation. The daily additions to the menu, both appetizers and entrees are prepared daily by our executive chef based on the freshest market products. Cava expresses its zest in season, both during the holidays, and on our cocktail list. There's a charm with each season, that should be brought to the table.The luxurious decor reflects the old world charm, with modern nuances. The warm feeling of home, paired with a featured glass of wine is sure to put your mind at ease. Each room has a separate serenity encompassed by different fixtures. The "Fireplace room" and it's cozy, warm candle lit atmosphere will soothe you and your guests after a long day at the office, or for a romantic evening. The "sunroom", filled with light, white linen, and paired with the right company, makes for an impressive room for a private dining, or the right place to impress that someone special. The "sunroom" serves as a private banquet room for all occasions.When the sun sets, and the lights are low the "Main DIning Room" has a grand dining table for occasions with more intimate groups. Everyone can enjoy a cocktail,or glass of wine, at the granite top bar, surrounded by dark cherry wood. There is a more casual atmosphere in the back tavern, with high top tables for a "girls night out" or just a couple appetizers while watching "the game".In addition to the dining experience, the cuisine has upscale items with aged Angus certified steaks, fresh atlantic salmon, pasta dishes, lighter fare, and authentic flavors throughout. Cava strives to leave an impression. The dining experience is that of traditional Italian, perfect for a relaxing meal. Cava is well renowned for elegant private events. Private dining events range from wedding receptions, baby showers, bridal showers, business meetings, cocktail hours, birthdays, rehearsal dinners, holiday parties, and all business functions. Private rooms are available for any events.
Reviewed December 26, 2008

Awesome! need I say more. The food is excellent. Granted I haven't tried much on the menu, but I order the tortalachi everytime I go. And the deserts are outragous! I've tried them all. I also recently booked a party for my daughters 1st communion. I was able to stay in my budget and not have to settle for less. Cava will never lose my business.

Reviewed December 23, 2008

We should have listened to out instincts and just walked out but we decided to give it the benefit out the doubt. Big mistake.
We walked in at about 8:00 and as the hostess confirmed we were just two, she then turned to a server next to her and asked right in front of us "are you off or do you want to take these two?" The server's response was to shrug her shoulders and say "no, not really." Good start, really professional on all parts. We are seated and soon after hearing the specials, a woman dressed in a Santa costume came to our table (after having done the same to the other tables) and asked if we had finished our Christmas shopping yet, and made other awkward small talk. What?! We could only assume she was the owner or a manager because what other employee could get away with such awkward behavior. There is something to be said for being friendly and greeting the customers, but honestly I just want to come in, eat my food in peace and not have to struggle to make conversation with random people.
Ok, on to things of more substance...
We ordered drinks - each of us ordered a Coke and moments later the server returned with 8oz glass bottles which he poured into glasses. Odd... Total waste of money on their part. We thought why would you not put in a fountain? So we asked the server later, why they have bottles and not a fountain, and he explained that they DO have a fountain at the bar, but that it was only for the bar. Huh?! So you have the fountain in place, you can charge the same amount for sodas whether it is bottles or fountain, but the bottles probably cost you at least $0.20 each where an entire night's worth of free refills of fountain soda costs you maybe one cent per person. Maybe it's just me, but places that don't offer free refills on sodas are rediculous. It's bad enough that restaurants are charging up to $3.00 each for sodas, but then to not offer free refills too? Come on. Things like that tell me they have no idea how to run a restaurant and why I expect them to be out of business within a year of when they opened. If they really think they will make a larger profit by jacking everyone for $2-3 for each soda instead of having free refills on fountain sodas (which by the way taste MUCH better than the bottles anyway), they're crazy.
So we thought these little things aside, maybe the food is really good. I ordered the veal picatta and my wife had the tortellini. First bite of mine and I seriously thought it was chicken. If your veal tastes like chicken, it's not good. Take a piece of thin sliced Perdue chicken out of the package, put a little butter in a pan and then cook the chicken for about 10 minutes on each side on medium-high heat - that is about what my "veal" tasted (and looked) like. It was chewy and tough and the edges were clearly overcooked while the rest was just mostly overcooked. I brought the waiter over, told him it was no good, and asked him to remove it from the bill, that I would share the rest of my wife's tortellini instead. He took it back and we could clearly hear him telling someone "he didn't like it". Later he returned and confirmed that he was able to take it off the bill. Now in the few situations where I have been at a restaurant and the food had to be sent back, even without me asking, the manager or waiter comes over to smooth things over, see if there is anything else they can do, something. In this case, I was surprised and very disappointed that no one bothered to come over. I would have loved to tell them why "I didn't like it" and offer some other suggestions on things they are doing wrong, but I guess I will have to hope someone from Cava will read this review and from it learn some of the basics of running a restaurant.

5  Thank jugwine
Reviewed December 22, 2008

I am very picky about italian food coming from an authentic italian-right off the boat family and Cava's Italian food is FANTASTIC! That atmosphere is inviting and luxurious. The staff is exceptional! I've been there about 9 times already and have had nothing but the best service and food. I HIGHLY recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed December 13, 2008

- We had a horrible experience in every sense of the word. We were sat in the side room, where it was 60 degrees. I know this because the little heater they had set up read so. There was a bitter cold breeze coming in through the walls and windows....yes I said walls. Apparently they have never heard of insulation. It took 1 hour to get menus, 2 hours to get food and 35 minutes to get desert. Two orders were completely wrong, they over charge 2 people in our party, argued with me that I had two beers, when I only ordered one and felt themselves worthy of an 18 percent tip just because we had a large party. To make matters worse, the food portions are extremely small. 20 dollars got me some pasta, with sauce, and 4 shrimp, the whole meal barely filled the bottom of a dish. As if the above was not enough they insisted that someone in our party with a 1 year old child sit in the corner of the room where it was freeeeeezing just because they wanted to use the slightly larger table to pile in more customers. I will never go back, and if you are smart you wont bother to waste your time either. The manager should be ashamed of herself, she came around to see how everyone's dinner was but failed to asked the party of 15 that accounted for 1/4 of her customers What a shame because I had high expectations for this place.

5  Thank Dineout123
Reviewed November 6, 2008

My husband and I love to go out and try new places often. So we have been hearing a lot about this place and heard mixed reviews so we decided to give it a try. We went out on Tuesday night with not the highest of expectations. However, upon entering we were greeted by a very friendly hostess and seated in a lovely room with a fireplace. The server that was taking care of us 'Bill' was very friendly and filled us in on some interesting facts about the place. We asked what he recommended, and one of his selections we tried, which were the Crab Cakes. They were excellent!!! We decided to go with a bottle of wine and it was presented properly along with a bread basket and oil. When dinner can out, everything was cooked beyond what we expected and we were in Aww. When dinner was over, we were presented with a desert tray and drinks list which were out of this world. We ended up sharing a ekmek and I got a limoncello. When we walked out, we were just like WOW! We will defiantly go back and ask for him again, highly recommend restaurant with an exceptional experience.