“Maybe It Was Just My Luck”
Review of Wyndham Southbury

Wyndham Southbury
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Southbury
Flanders, New Jersey
“Maybe It Was Just My Luck”
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Turning into the parking lot the view of the outside did not look like a Crown Plaza. It appeared as a low budget, three story motel. However, when entering the lobby, it was nicely appointed. Nice patterned tile floors and attractive wood trim. Checking in was fine. But, if this were a survey which would be sent to me as a Priority Club member, the question on that survey always asks, "Where you greeted as a Priority Club member?" I would have to say no.
The room, upon entering looked clean, and standard for any Holiday Inn type room. As soon as closed the door I realized there was a loud droning sound it the room: the heating/cooling system. Since I am a light sleeper I knew I would need to shut it off for the night and wake up to a cold room in the morning. Which was the case.
The bed was comfortable with six pillows and two additional cushiness against the headboard. But I awoke at 1:00 in the morning and noted that the pillow I had rolled onto smelled like Gonzo, the hairy, sweaty, stinking wrestler has recently saturated that pillow with his post-match sweat. Maybe the pillow case was clean, but the pillow was horrible, I tossed it on the floor and checked the other pillows. Another one was not as bad, but still smelly. I took pillows from the other bed in the room and went back to sleep. Yeah, I am a hearty road warrior.
When checking out from my one night stay, I quietly, so other guests would not hear, mentioned the pillow issue to the clerk. There was not concern from her. I guess it may commonly be a complaint.
In the morning, I turned on the jet-engine-sounding heating system and jumped back into bed until the room warmed. Then off the shower, where after a couple of minutes there was still no hot water. It took almost four minutes to get hot water so I could step in. Same issue at the sink but it isn't too bad to wash hands in cold water. Perhaps it was because I was at the end of a very long hall. My business associate was at the room next to me, one room further from the end and he had no issues.
The restaurant was an eyesore to me. A huge, austere room, dated furniture, very high ceiling---the least appealing room in which I have ever had a (paid) breakfast buffet. Upon being seated, there was no indication or instruction if it was a buffet, and if so, where the food was. The food was okay for a buffet, but for $13,00, I prefer to get my eggs the way I want them, not from a steam tray scrambled a while ago.
So was the pillows, the hot water and the and noisy heater 'just my luck'? I don't know, but I would not stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Bob B
SBCrowne, General Manager at Wyndham Southbury, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Thank you for choosing Crowne Plaza as your hotel of choice on your recent visit to Connecticut. I am very sorry to read that you were not happy with your stay. It is always my aim to meet if not exceed your expectations at any time. To further investigate, I would like to speak with you directly if you could give me a call.

Ehab Mehany

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Troy, Michigan, United States
Reviewed March 17, 2013

My husband and I recently had our wedding reception at the Crowne Plaza in Southbury, CT on 12/1/12. We were blown away by the level of service we received and could not have asked for a better staff to work with! We looked at close to 10 venues in CT to have our wedding at and Crowne Plaza was very reasonable in price and SO accommodating, easy to work with and flexible to our vision. I was planning the entire wedding from 700 miles away. My wedding coordinator, Kendra, was amazing at handling all my emails and phone calls to ensure my dream wedding was perfect. She was extremely responsive and on many occasions extended her hours or rearranged her schedule to accommodate my travel schedule so we could meet in person when I was in town. The entire staff was extremely attentive to us – we personally met with the Chef of the hotel restaurant to discuss appetizer and entrée details. The general manager of the hotel, Ehab, saw to it that all of our wedding guests received amazing hospitality. The front desk, bar manager and bar staff were all so personable and went out of their way to accommodate our large party. Since we were traveling from Michigan, we came with a lot of wedding décor and they provided us a spare room to house all of our items so our hotel room wouldn’t be completely cluttered. I honestly could go on and on about the level of service we received. Everything was beyond perfect and it’s all thanks to them! We highly recommend the Crowne Plaza, Southbury for your future wedding or hotel stay! They do an amazing job!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mialy S
SBCrowne, General Manager at Wyndham Southbury, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words regarding the hotel and the service we provided for you and your wedding guests. On behalf of the entire staff here at the Crowne Plaza in Southbury we strive for excellence and we are ecstatic that we had the opportunity to be part of such a special day in one’s life. Your December wedding made everyone’s holiday here a lot brighter and we wish you the best in your new journey!

Crowne Plaza Southbury
"Where YOUR Success Matters!"
ehabm@southburycrowne.com
(203) 598-7600
Whitingham, Vermont
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Was staying at this hotel for a dog show, when the blizzard of 2013 hit. The hotel staff could NOT have been more accomodating! We were stuck in the hotel for three days, and everyone was gracious, patient and helpful. The staff cleared all the snow from the customer cars...which took two days. Some of the cars had close to three feet of snow on top!! The restaurant/food was good for all meals, even as the inventory grew smaller. My room need updated, but all bedding, bathroom linen was clean and neat. Recommend this hotel 100%. Great job during a stressful situation!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
SBCrowne, General Manager at Wyndham Southbury, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Thanks for choosing our hotel and thanks for posting a review! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay, Also thank you for your kind words regarding the Arrowhead Restaurant and Lounge at the Southbury Crown Plaza, and I will share your comments about the restaurant and the bar with our team. We always rely on guest comments such as yours to know where to look for improvement opportunities. Hope to see you again soon.

Kind regards,
(203) 598-7600
Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 27, 2012

We were returning home from the Christmas Holiday and got caught in a nasty snowstorm in southern Connecticut. We checked for local Hotels and this came up on the list. We called got a reservation and arrived to find many other people had the same idea. We had a bit of a wait to check in, but the staff handles the deluge of people with grace, and helped each family or person in a professional and friendly manner. The overwhelmed waitress/bartender was happy to open our bottle of wine that we brought with us, and the front desk although swamped helped us with a few toiletries we did not have. The room was comfortable, clean, and my wife enjoyed the relaxing spa products that were included with the room. The bed was comfortable and a travel delay became a relaxing and pleasant stop on the way home.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank daanddo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 20, 2012 via mobile

It's a great hotel and very convenient to many places. I'm a priority club elite member and travel frequently. I stay at this facility all the time when I'm in the area. Very clean! Breakfast is ok and could be much better.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank powerpackperk
Reviewed December 20, 2012 via mobile

We attended a wedding and reserved several rooms. The rooms may not have justified the rates, but we understand the theory of supply and demand.
Our main problem is in reference to a valuable item left by a member of the wedding party. Within 2 hours of checking out, we called to alert the staff of the article, and were told we'd be contacted that day. Of course, no call that day or the next. So we called 2 more times with same (no) result.
We know that hotels rarely take responsibility for lost, stolen or left items, but would have appreciated some demonstrated concern from someone.

• Stayed May 2012
Reviewed December 5, 2012

After a long day of travel I settled into the restaurant for a late light dinner. Ordered French onion soup. First crock was a reject from another party. Second was fresh, but over spiced and shuttered in onion rings/straw?!

Ordered a BLT sandwich. The sandwich was slapped together and was mostly bread with some crumbled up bacon (old?) and a small slice of tomato.

Breakfast next morning was slightly better, but the croissant was at least a day old and stale.

Ok place to sleep, but go somewhere else for the food.

• Stayed December 2012
SBCrowne, General Manager at Wyndham Southbury, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Thank you so much for your kind words regarding the hotel and the service, I’m glad you were satisfied with the room. I am very sorry to read that you were not happy with food service. . Please contact me at any time to discuss this matter further.

Kind regards,
Ehab Mehany
Also consider these accommodations in or near Southbury
Hampton Inn Waterbury
#2 of 15 in Danbury
Homestead Inn
Homestead Inn
#1 of 3 in New Milford

Been to Wyndham Southbury? Share your experiences!