“Clean and comfortable”
Review of Wyndham Southbury

Wyndham Southbury
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Southbury
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Not special but clean and comfortable and right off Rt. 84.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Wyndham Southbury

Reviewed April 16, 2012

Hotel is in the middle of nowhere. There is nothing really convenient to eat except hotel food and a small fried chicken and grinder place next door. Really. IN.THE. MIDDLE.OF NOWHERE.

Hotel was definitely showing its age. The thermostat in my room was crazy, so it was either too hot or too cold. Also, its SUPER loud and made a big rumble when it would start and go off. It was hard to sleep with that going on and off during the course of the night.

Crowne Plaza was nice, although if you check in late, you have to look around for someone to check you in. Room was clean and in good shape. I couldn't get hot water in the sink faucet though, only in the tub. Made washing my face hard.

Beds were super comfortable. I was there for a conference. Hotel perpetually shorted tables, so tables would have to be set up during the meal to accommodate. Room service and food very a bit below average, but like I said earlier you don't have too many other options in the area.

Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 2, 2011

I stayed here in October '11 for the week of my wedding. The hotel itself is pretty nice, not spectacular but not bad either. For the most part the staff was very friendly and the accommodations were good. However, what would've been a 4 or 5 star review drops to a 1 star based on one factor: the overnight front desk employee. Let me explain:

As it was the week leading up to my wedding and I was out of my comfort zone (it was a destination wedding in CT, we're from California), my nerves were slightly fried. My then-fiance's parents live in the area so she was staying with them, while I, a few groomsmen, and other friends and family from out of state stayed at the hotel. As the day approached, we found ourselves spending a lot of time at the hotel lounge and wandering around the hotel grounds, talking, reminiscing, and discussing the upcoming wedding. Every single night that week, without fail, as soon as the day staff left for the day, a disgruntled old man took over the front desk for the overnight shift. This guy found a number of ways to creatively ruin our time, crush our spirits, and treat us like criminals.

I'd like to interject a few points here: First, nobody in attendance was under the age of 30, and second, my wedding brought this small little hotel well over $5000 dollars in room rentals over the course of a mere five days, based on OUR recommendation of this hotel. Now on with the story of Grampa Grumpus, the graveyard shift front desk worker. This guy would literally follow us around the hotel grounds, watching our every move as though we were hoodlums scheming to cause trouble, when in fact we were nothing more than grown, mature adults who were disturbing nobody while my friends counseled me in the 72 hours leading up to my wedding. We are a reserved group of well educated people, the opposite of rowdy, and we were always very conservative in terms of volume.

The night before my wedding, myself and two friends wandered in to the hotel pool area around 9pm at night, talking at length about the wedding less than 24 hours away. We had no intent to swim (as we were all fully clothed), but the moment one of my wife's bridesmaids rolled up her jeans and dipped her feet in the water, Grampy Grumps burst through the door screaming we weren't allowed to be there at night (even though our room key cards unlocked the pool door.... hmmmm). He then noticed that one person in our party of three had a Bud Light from the bar. This is important, it was a single bud light. Not a bottle of vodka. Not a 40oz of malt liquor. Not a crack pipe, not a 4 foot bong, not a pocket full of pills or even a 22 oz bottle of heavy ale. It was a single bud light. The old man's eyes turned to slits as he gazed at the 12 oz single bottle of bud light, and as he ushered us away from the pool area, he called it "the devil's brew." I'm not making this up.

There are plenty more examples of how this guy ruined our stay, including at one point accusing a member of our party of vomiting in an elevator, even though nobody in our group was sick or drinking. Adversely, there was another group of people in the hotel bar drinking heavily and being rowdy until 1am, but to my knowledge he didn't accuse them of the vomit incident, likely because they were all in their 50's and we were the younger group. Rather than go into any more details, I'll cut to the point of my little rant here.

This employee of the Crowne Plaza Southbury clearly failed economics when he was in school fifty some odd years ago. He treated us as though we were dispositions, liabilities, annoyances, and criminals. He never made the connection in his head that my group of traveling friends and family were quite literally paying his salary that week. Proper customer service ettiquite would dictate that he treat us like patrons, customers, and welcome guests. He instead treated us like common 15 year old punks who were out to vandalize some hotel in the middle of nowhere and harass its patrons. I realize quite well that Connecticut has more conservative social conventions than my home in California, but this guy took it way too far. Completely ruined what was otherwise a wonderful and memorable trip back east for the biggest day of my life with all my loved ones in attendance.

And P.S., just as a point of reference, we honeymooned in Hawaii. The Grand Hyatt Resort's ENORMOUS pool area was open 24 hours, without a lifeguard, and even hard liquor was allowed in the pool area so long as it was in a plastic container. My wife and I quite literally brought a six pack of plastic bottled beer to the pool at 2am, and were greeted warmly by the night staff and just told to be safe. Heads up Crowne Plaza Southbury: all you need to do is include a liability release form at check-in, and you have no excuse not to let your customers dip their toes in your extremely crappy and poorly maintained pool at 9pm. Don't worry, you'll still be the most conservative establishment in the country. You should fire Father Time and replace him with someone who doesn't treat your customers like nuisances. "The Devil's Brew"... you've gotta be kiddin me.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
10  Thank Jesse C
Reviewed November 9, 2011

Fantastic room and facilities. The staff went above and beyond to serve the guest. The public areas were clean and nice.

I must confess that my expectations were rather low. From the outside there was evidence that it was an older property but it may just be that the tough New England winters have taken their toll.

The rooms were very comfy and modern. And the bed were good ... a bit soft but the linens were new and nice.

I would definitely stay there again. We stayed one week after the October 30th snow storm and I think that all around the staff and facilities were great! They were packed with misplaced homeowners -

Room Tip: Southbury is a nice area the stores and eating establishments are one exit down to the West.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed October 7, 2011

This is a good clean hotel with an adaquate restaurant. Rooms are spacious and staff welcoming. The only problem is the air conditioners are mounted on the roof below the rooms and if you have a room near the elevators the noise is quite loud. Situated near interstate, but no interstate noise.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevators to minimize air conditioner noise
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 19, 2011

We stayed at this hotel for a wedding so really didn't have much choice in the matter. Although it is not a hotel I would choose to stay in on my own, it was fine. The hotel was dated and the room smelled musty, but generally speaking, everything appeared clean. The temperature control in our room was broken (the knob was literally broken off), but since we were only staying one night, we didn't bother having anyone look into it. The lobby area was nice (although it mysteriously smelled of smoke - maybe coming from the smoking rooms?).

Beware that there are no post-11pm food options whatsoever. Room service shuts down by then, and there is nowhere that delivers to the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank kruzingtogether
Reviewed September 11, 2011

We live one town over and had to stay due to Hurricane Irene. Had the hotel been better, I would have stayed one more night,

The public areas are nice but the rooms are dated and the furniture and door frames are chipped and dinged. We stayed in a suite which was large and quiet. It had a teeny, tiny fridge that would not hold our 2 take out containers. The ice machine near our room was broken. I tried to open the microwave door and the entire control panel came off in my hand! The cleaning staff never noticed this? Give me a break.

I took a shower around 7 AM and the water turned completely cold in the middle of it.

The front desk guy seemed nice until we couldn't get our door open. When we went to the desk for the third time, he came back to the door with us. You have to run the card really
S L O W L Y. He actually said that to me the second time. We continued to have trouble with the door during our entire stay.

On the plus side, they are dog friendly for a reasonable $25 fee for the entire stay. The bed was comfy and the location is good--right off of Route 84.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank klscaz
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Southbury, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2011

Dear Klscaz,

Thank you for your review regarding your experience. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention and apologize for any inconvenience the room conditions may have caused you. We strive to exceed our guests’ expectations and create memorable experiences. We take all feedback seriously, and sincerely regret that we did not meet your expectations.

Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us. We have sent you a private message to obtain additional details about your experience.

Ben J
IHG Care

Also consider these accommodations in or near Southbury
Hampton Inn Waterbury
#1 of 2 in Naugatuck
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Bristol, Connecticut
La Quinta Inn & Suites Danbury
Hampton Inn by Hilton Shelton

Been to Wyndham Southbury? Share your experiences!