“Not worth the $$$ -”

Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
“Not worth the $$$ -”
Reviewed January 18, 2014 via mobile

Wow! I read the rivers and couldn't wait to try this place! What a joke! I'm positive that an average person will find this overpriced! Small portions too! Maybe I went on an off day! Who knows! But they nickel and dime you for extras! I always ask for extra hollandaise sauce for breakfast with my eggs Benny! They charge for it. Yet I paid $10 for the tiny bit they could spare with a dab of homefries! Sorry but the sauce was cold and very bland! I've had better and much much much cheaper!!! Honestly- save your $! Nothing is worth their ridiculous prices. The place is old and ready to crumble and they charge gourmet prices. Insane!

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Kcao

Southbury, Connecticut
“Old is Gold --- best diner !!”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Plenty of food for your money !! My family loves going to the Laurel's Dinner for Sunday breakfast -- their specials are really awesome . Eggs, home fries , toast and Sausage links --- complete breakfast ---worth the wait !! The staff is very friendly, hard working and attentive. Easy exit and entry access for Route 84 this place is really great and convenient. The family owned business is a favorite gathering place for all the locals -- for early morning chats . The Omelets are very good --and made to the order, It's economical ---if you don't want to spend a lot for breakfast but want get good food this place serves the purpose. The place is kind of small but worth the money !! I wish them the best and hope they stay in business for a long time !!!

1 Thank suniti p
Loveladies, NJ
“Great food in a very casual road side diner”
Reviewed December 29, 2013

We found the Laurel diner when we searched on this site for a quick bite while traveling home. We stopped in and had a delicious breakfast. The eggs, hash and pancakes were all great and we really enjoyed the grilled cinnamon roll. The waitresses were friendly. If you are traveling on 84 this is a great place to make a pit stop.

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank Danielle L
Oxford, CT
“Don't Bother”
Reviewed November 26, 2013

If you are looking to hang with the Southbury locals then the Laurel Diner is the place for you. However, if you are looking for a decent diner experience then you'll want to steer clear. While the emphasis is clearly on breakfast I don't eat breakfast so lunch was the order of the day. The grilled chicken sandwich with bacon, grilled onions & roasted red peppers sounded tasty. Of course I ordered without the cheese, as I tend to do, but flavor was what I expected and flavor was what was severely lacking. Granted, it is one dish. But everything in my sandwich was over cooked leading me to believe the the "chef" at the grill located directly behind the counter was far more engaged in his conversations than in his main job as chief cook. An affordable lunch is difficult to come by in this community but every other choice I've tried is far better.

Naugatuck, CT
“Best breakfast around, cooks are magic on the grill. Cash only!”
Reviewed November 16, 2013

This was our first visit to Laurel Diner and it will not be the last, by far. Went based on reading the reviews here and we thank you for suggesting this great breakfast place!

Husband had coffee and the "special", hash, 2 eggs (he had them over easy), toast, hashbrowns. He opted to get 2 sausage patties instead of hashbrowns. I got orange juice and a sausage, mushroom, onion and American cheese omelette (comes with toast and hashbrowns) with a side of the hash.

We sat at the counter, which I highly recommend. You just haven't lived until you watch these two gentlemen cook. They are absolute masters with how they work a grill. I was amazed to see the care with which they not only cook but plate the food. It's done with such a sense of grace. Anyway, sounds silly but trust me, you want to watch them. So sit at the counter.

Every single food item was absolutely delicious. We were pretty surprised to be so happy with our food because, after all, breakfast is just breakfast, right? Not at the Laurel Diner. It becomes a true breakfast experience.

Service is great, prices are really reasonable, food is fantastic. Only downfall is how tiny the diner is. Bring cash, because they don't take cards.

1 Thank Lynda B