“Good lunch, fresh and pleasant staff”
Review of Hen of the woods - CLOSED

Hen of the woods
Cuisines: American
Reviewed November 2, 2013

We stopped here for lunch. It's a great place. Menu is inventive. Prices are moderate. Chili was very meaty but a little tame. We shared a chicken salad sandwich which was also good the weather was outstanding so we ate outside. The resturaunt is in the rear of Bennett Square so it is not obvious when passing by. If you are traveling through Connecticut take exit 14 or 15 of I84.

Reviewed October 16, 2013

If you are looking for a delicious and healthy meal in Southbury, look no further. Aside from the regular menu, the daily specials and home made soups are always wonderful choices. I think that their Turkey Burger is the most delicious I've ever eaten!

1  Thank Al_Washicko
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Cutest place in town. Very good organic and vegetarian options and fresh brewed iced tea. We sat outside shiver isn't charming since its on a parking lot but the food was so yummy we didn't care.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

I went to this place based on the strong reviews. I was glad I went and I'll go again, but it did not jump to the top of my list.
If you are in the area, you know about the Laurel Diner, Leo's and maybe the Woodbury Diner and/or Dotties (also in Woodbury). All make really great breakfasts. Leo's is the most elaborate and they have great specialties, but crowded and a ltlle bit more expensive (though still very good value). Dotties has home made bakery and donuts. Laurel is still my favorite, with Woodbury a near tie, but how great to have four (and maybe more) nearby options.
I went for breakfast on a weekday, so I don't know what it's like on the weekends, but it was nice that it was uncrowded and not loud. (Both are a problem at the Laurel, sometimes.)
The menu is creative and slightly complex. I was in the mood for a simple breakfast that day and could not find ham & eggs listed on the menu, though they had ham and I was willing to bet there were eggs in the house. They had no problem granting my request, and with a smile.
It's self-serve coffee and water, which is not a problem for me, but don't wait for the refill, just go get it. (it's a small place. Not much of a walk.) No corned beef hash on the menu, BTW.
I loved the decor and the comfortable, homey atmosphere. And on the mornings when I am looking for something creative for breakfast/brunch, I'll be back.
It is clearly a labor of love and a nice, bright, clean, friendly place to have a good meal..
So yet another great Southbury/Woodbury breakfast spot! How lucky are we?!

Reviewed February 5, 2013

Tucked away in non-descript shopping plaza, Hen of the Woods is a hidden gem and the best kept dining secret in town. A favorite place to meet the girls for lunch, this intimate restaurant is charming, welcoming and a true dining treasure. Freshly home made soups are superb & comforting, salads are generous & delicious and even an ordinary chicken salad sandwich is somehow transformed into something extraordinary. Daily Specials are always creative and mouth watering and you never leave disappointed. With only 10 tables, non matching in a country charming way, Hen of the Woods delivers dining perfection: delicious, fresh food; reasonable pricing; great service and a laid back, stay awhile atmosphere.