“Great place for a conference!”
Review of Heritage Hotel

Heritage Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Southbury
Stoneham, Massachusetts
“Great place for a conference!”
Reviewed June 1, 2014

We stayed here for two nights so that my husband could attend a conference that was held here.

It was an excellent place to hold a conference. There were many function rooms of different sizes. The food (ordered by the conference) was very tasty and included individually made omelets for breakfast and freshly baked cherry pie for lunch. There were several lounging areas around the hotel.

There was very little in the area to walk to except for a Friendly's which was a two minute walk. There was plenty of free parking.

The hotel is like a resort with indoor and outdoor pools (with lifeguards), outdoor tennis courts, an indoor racquet ball court, a good sized exercise room and puzzles and games available for guests.

Our room was nice but not exceptional. The bottom bed sheet kept coming out. The towels were not soft. There was only one comfortable chair. The sink and toilet were very low. They seemed to have been made for very short people.

All in all there were many more pluses than minuses. We hope that they will hold a conference here again in the future.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Scott R, General Manager at Heritage Hotel, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I’m glad you were able to enjoy what we have to offer– especially both pools in our Health Club – during your husband’s conference. We are excited to have some renovation plans in the works; we hope to show them off to you during your next visit!

All the best, Scott

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Easton,CT
Reviewed May 31, 2014

We had a buffet dinner in the garden room last night. The room was perfectly arranged for 50 people. The food was delicious and beautifully displayed and served. The staff was top notch and so helpful and attentive. Chris and Jen were so nice to work with and the head banquet person, Brian and Dan were awesome. If you want to sit back and relax and have a great party planned by professionals that you can be proud of contact The Heritage Hotel!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Scott R, General Manager at Heritage Hotel, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Thank you for your kind review. The Garden Room is beautiful this time of year, and I’m glad your dinner event was enjoyable! Our staff makes every effort to ensure each event is a success. Please think of us the next time you have a special event, or just need a weekend away!

All the best, Scott
New Milford, Connecticut
Reviewed May 27, 2014

We had the most excellent experience! Jennifer and Chris were there every step of the way. Our wedding went off with out a hitch, lol. The suite was extravagant and the service was phenomenal!! We look forward to our 1 year anniversary escape back!!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Scott R, General Manager at Heritage Hotel, responded to this review, May 28, 2014
Congratulations on your wedding! I’m glad everything went smoothly and we look forward to celebrating many anniversaries with you!

Long Island, NY
Reviewed May 26, 2014

I had an excellent stay here Sunday night of Memorial Day wk-end. I was surprised how nice the hotel is, more of a resort than just a hotel, and impressed with the amenities. I did have some confusion when booking the hotel. I was looking for a hotel in the area that was pet friendly and came across Heritage. I called up the hotel directly the night before and asked if they had a room available and I would be bringing a small dog. I was told point blank “no rooms available.” Did he mean no rooms at all or no rooms for my dog, I don't know, he was abrupt and rude. However, on-line at several hotel sites they were listing availability for this hotel. I called up one discount site and wanted clarification about the hotel being listed as “pet friendly” and was told there would be no problem bringing my little pooch. On Sunday we arrived at the hotel at 1:00pm and told room is not ready. I mentioned I have a dog and the counter person who could have been friendlier was surprised and asked if that was written in the reservation (the discount hotel site said that was not necessary) and then said “I have to see if there is a room available for dogs.” Luckily there was. I'm wondering what if there wasn't as reading the hotel information in the room it says there are only 4 or 5 rooms out of I think 140+ rooms that accept dogs. If that is the case, I think the hotel needs to clarify that on it's website and also with the on-line hotel booking sites.

There were 2 weddings going on this w/e so the hotel was crowded. It is a nice setting for weddings and guests could make it into a nice wedding w/e. Our doggie room was right across from the entrance, very convenient to outside. I would equate it with the standards of a Holiday Inn. Yes, the bathroom is small and no bathtub but that didn't affect our positive experience. The room is a nice size.

Into our bathing suits and we headed left of the check-in area thru a wood walkway overlooking both pools and past a sitting area with a ping pong table to the nice looking outdoor pool. I was pleasantly surprised by how large it was for a hotel and how warm the water is considering the pool just opened 2 days prior, it has to be heated.. Plenty of lounge chairs both in the sun and shade situated on rocks. A nice amenity is the pool snack bar. And the outdoor pool does have a lifeguard.

Adjacent to the outdoor pool is the large indoor pool and hot tub. The pool is sectioned off for lap swimming. This is all part of a health club so there are workers at the counter where you get towels, and borrow rackets for both the 2 indoor racket ball courts and 2 outdoor tennis courts. The tennis courts are beyond the outdoor pool and in great shape. There are also mountain bikes you can rent for $5. The health club offers some classes (yoga, pilates) but I think only 1 class Sat morning, others M-F. Not sure if the classes are just for members but also for hotel guests for a fee. Also are large locker rooms, and lemon water and coffee. And there is a golf course (9 hole I think) adjacent as well.

The on-site restaurant reasonably priced but we didn't get a change to try it. There is a pool table, arcade games, and many conference rooms, and a full spa is adjacent. An easy walk across the street is Friendly's restaurant, but we opted to drive 1 mile to Leo's Restaurant, for dinner and breakfast.

The parking lot does fill up when there are weddings but there were still available spots and the walk is not far. Also upon check-in and out, you can drive your car up the front area to load your suitcases.

Heritage Hotel would be great for week-end getaways, family reunions, and weddngs, close to the highway and lots of restaurants in town. Horse backing riding, antiquing, parks – lots to do in this area, We just needed 1 night but I would love to return for a few days.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank RhonaP
Scott R, General Manager at Heritage Hotel, responded to this review, May 27, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write such a lengthy review. I am sorry for the confusion regarding the pet-friendly rooms; we do indeed have a limited number of those rooms. We will review the listings to ensure that is made clearer. I’m glad you were able to enjoy so much of what we have to offer. As you noticed, both the indoor and outdoor pools are heated, and the health club has many options! Thank you again for your kind words – we hope to see you again, maybe even later this summer!

Boerne, Texas
Reviewed May 25, 2014

When I checked in I asked if there was a shop in the hotel for incidentals. There is not. Linda Rice, who worked for the hotel, was standing on my side of the check in. She asked the receptionist to call "?" and have him take me in the shuttle to Kmart. The shuttle was out for service. Linda asked what I needed and I told her one thing that cost $2. I explained it was not big deal. After 5:00, what I was needing was in my room.

Linda was kind as were the Albanian ladies who cleaned the rooms. Both were personal and taught me how to say good morning and thank you in Albanian. The front desk staff are professional, too. When eating in Shadrocks, ask for Amanda. We ate in this restaurant for 4 nights. The service can be ssllloooooowwwwww. Amanda was our server on Wednesday and we ask for her on Thursday.

The rooms have some inconsistencies. My room was small and the restroom room was as small as a confessional. A friend of mine's room on the side of the hotel that is past the fitness center was larger and had been updated. The hotel was built in the 1970's. You can look around and see areas of the property that are 40 years old. I was on the second floor and the third floor is really squeaks. A friend had a room on the third floor and when I walked to his room, the halls squeaked the whole way. MY advice, ask for a third floor room or on the side of the hotel where the exercise area is. The walls are really thin. While in my room I could hear phones and conversations from next door and across the hall. There are not "standard" refrigerators or safes.

Staying at The Heritage Hotel, Golf, Spa, and Conference Center's name sets a different expectation than the name creates. There is golf, spa, tennis courts, racquetball courts, pools, and a conference center, but it isn't what I had expected. Based on the name and the online photos I visioned a Four-Seasons type experience. It was not. This property needs to be painted and a modest overhaul in a lot of ways. With that said, as long as you know what your getting, don't be afraid to stay here.

Room Tip: Room on the third floor or on the health club side of the property.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your kind words regarding our staff. We strive to offer exceptional personal service to every guest, and I’m glad we were able to provide that to you. Your comments regarding the hotel itself are welcome – we have some fantastic plans in the works for updating the property. Stay tuned!

Thanks again,

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 14, 2014

This review is purely based on the room, as we did not have time to try any of the amenities due to a short overnight stay. I would give it a 3.5 rating if I could but rounded up. The room was large and clean. It was fairly quiet. The bathroom was a bit strange in that it appeared that the sink/mirror and toilet area had been recently renovated but the shower had clearly not. The fixtures in the shower were sorely in need of replacement in terms of appearance. This was overall a fairly reasonable (but not luxurious) place to stay at the last minute using a last-minute rate.

1 Thank vvv3
Scott R, General Manager at Heritage Hotel, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I’m glad your stay was comfortable and quiet. Please think of us the next time you’re in the area; perhaps you can try out our indoor and outdoor pools if you get to have a longer stay next time!

Glastonbury, Connecticut
Reviewed May 4, 2014

Such a lovely weekend. King room on the third floor was spacious with a beautiful view of the river and a flowering shad tree right outside our window. Large bathroom. Such a treat from the tiny bathrooms I am used to seeing. Very very clean, including the locker rooms and the indoor pool area. Took advantage of the indoor whirlpool and pool. Very relaxing. As you walk through the different parts of the hotel, there are beautifully appointed sitting areas throughout, some with fireplaces, and all with large exposed beams. Did not go to the restaurant on site, but took the package that included the breakfast buffet. The food was very good and the variety was pleasing. The staff were helpful and genuinely concerned about our comfort and happiness. Looking forward to a return visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view.
1 Thank LoveYorkies75
Scott R, General Manager at Heritage Hotel, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Thank you for your kind words regarding your stay at the Heritage Hotel. I am glad you were able to enjoy the health club amenities and the cozy gathering areas we offer. We hope to see you again soon!

Scott
Also consider these accommodations in or near Southbury
Wyndham Southbury
Hampton Inn Waterbury
#1 of 8 in Waterbury
Grace Mayflower Inn and Spa
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Bristol, Connecticut

Been to Heritage Hotel? Share your experiences!