“Not all that it's cracked up to be”
Review of Heritage Hotel

Heritage Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Southbury
Reviewed January 7, 2014

We spent New Year's Eve at the hotel - dinner, rang in the new year with champagne in their pub, and stayed over night. The meal I had was horrible - but costly. I ordered stuffed
chicken breast. It was dry, completely over seasoned - and HORRIBLE. The accompanying asparagus was shriveled up, dry and so tough it couldn't be chewed. It was also served with "garlic mashed potatoes" which didn't have a taste of garlic but were extremely bitter. The only good thing was the dessert - of course it may have tasted so good because I was starving. The room was clean, and quiet, and the bed very comfortable. However, there are no refrigerators or microwaves in the room which made it inconvenient. Most everyone I know likes to have snacks in the room. There was a buffet breakfast the next morning - NOT included, and for the most part it was good. However, the eggs were cold, and way over cooked. For the New Year's Eve price, breakfast should have been included. I would never do this again, nor would the people we joined there. The staff were very pleasant and nice.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AnnAvon_CT
Scott R, General Manager at Heritage Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. While I am glad the staff was attentive, I am sorry for your experience at dinner. Your concerns will be passed on to the rest of the team.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

Originally from the Southbury, CT area, I recently visited again and stopped in at the Inn,
as I usually do, to have dinner. I enjoyed this visit more than any other. Dinner was well prepared, attractively presented and delicious. The service was excellent, my waiter, Jacob,
was very competent and attentive at just the right time. My observation of other diners,
staff, etc. were very positive. Will certainly visit again during my next trip to CT.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your kind review of the Heritage Hotel. I am glad your experience with us was enjoyable and you enjoyed your visit back home. We look forward to seeing you on your next trip north.

Reviewed January 4, 2014

My Wife and two daughters stayed here just after New Years. We stayed in a very nice suite. I was really supprized that I never heard of this Hotel sooner. If I had I would of booked many of nights here last year. I feels like a Ski Resort and I kept expecting to see lifts outside. It's a strange but pleasant kind of place. It almost seems like the Hotel shouldn't be here in Southbury Ct. That's why I think I like it so much. The staff was ever accommodating and went out of their way to meet all our needs. If I were to say anything negative about my stay it would be this. The common lounge areas have remarkable fireplaces that are never lit. If so it would give the reason for the guests to hang out in these areas. It would of been so warm and welcoming if only these fireplaces were burning. Things like this are reasons why I would run back and stay at a Hotel like this again. I found these fire place areas to be empty and lonely with no real purpose for being here if not burning wood and heating the cold areas. If I were to advise anyone to stay at this Hotel I would say go! It's a cool, strange, comfortable experience that I would most certainly do again and again. Management, if you read this review most Hotel guests look for a place outside their rooms to read a book or just relax. Your areas with the fireplaces keep them always burning and I assure you your guests will keep on coming back. Scott

• Stayed: January 2014

Thank you for your kind review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and the staff was accommodating to your needs. Thank you as well for your suggestion regarding the fireplaces – they are important to us. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

I should start out by saying, the staff was excellent and patient with what seemed to be a lot of "characters" during a New Year's Eve night. I saw them put up with situations that I would have probably lost my mind dealing with.

That being said, sigh, here is where the hotel itself fell short of my expectations:

1. Sound comes right in from outside the door, like right in. It is almost as if you are not in a private room at all. Given that it was New Year's Eve, I was ok with noise, but I wasn't expecting to hear every little door rattle and slam of people on either side of me.

2. The room we had was clean enough, but as other users said, it was dated. To be specific: there were multiple paint colors on the wall where they probably tried to save a few bucks and spot paint over the years rather than paint the whole room; the floor was so creaky that my mom apologized to me for waking me up when she went to the bathroom in the middle of the night. The decor was worn out. There was no main light switch and all the lights had to be manually turned on.

3. We ordered a special new year's eve dinner and the food was mediocre at best. We would have been better going to a diner to be honest. The steak was cooked to the right temperature, but the mashed potatoes were runny, the asparagus was the width of a paper clip and drowned in oil, the salad was 100% composed of bagged items and no fresh vegetables (I am a health nut and can't stand bagged lettuce, and don't expect that from a hotel).

4. This is not the hotel's fault, but there were a few families who had out of control children, which led to us not being able to use the pool because the acoustics in the pool room are such that if you have a few screaming kids, you cannot hear any other conversation. In addition, they ran out of towels, and one group of teenagers was doing cannonballs into the shallow end with no one to control them. Again, the hotel is not at fault for this per se, but it would have been great if a strong manager had spoken up on behalf of the other patrons.

5. The hot tub jets were broken.

Overall, again, a pleasant staff does wonders for a review, and that is the reason I am rating it higher than one star. They were all very nice and incredibly patient with all of the guests.

However, due to the fact that I felt misled about the quality of the hotel, I feel it is my duty to lay out how it was to other travelers thinking of staying there.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank krock2014
Scott R, General Manager at Heritage Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Thank you for the kind words regarding our staff. They are hard-working and strive to ensure every guest has a pleasant stay. I apologize for your difficulties in the Health Club. We endeavor to balance all our varied guests’ concerns as they occur. I also apologize for your experience with dinner; your concerns have been shared with the chef and will be discussed with the team.

Reviewed December 27, 2013

I booked my Heritage Hotel reservation through Groupon. After reading some reviews and perusing the hotel's website, I thought for sure that the hotel would be great for a one night getaway to spend some time alone reading and relaxing. I arrived at the hotel to find the exterior very worn and old. Upon entering the hotel, the entire lobby and a majority of the first floor smelled horribly of chlorine (due to the heated swimming pool below) and the air was damp. The hotel's two fireplaces in lobby areas were not lit despite the chilly winter weather. The hall of the second floor smelled damp, but my room did not have the same odor; the room smell was mostly pleasant. I was amazed at the age of the furniture, the carpet, and the walls. Truly, it was an unpleasant time warp. I understand the Heritage Hotel desires an "old New England" look, but there is a way to achieve that look without appearing to be utilizing the same decor, furniture, and carpet from thirty or so years ago (not nearly vintage New England, just vintage 1985). The doors were not very sound proof either and I was woken twice to the sound of doors closing in the hallway. The pool table in the game room is old, the cues are broken, the wood floor of the game room is moist and rotting, and the 8 ball was missing. Overall, not as advertised. I will say that the room is clean and my bed was comfortable; if they weren't I would have left. There is so much potential in this hotel, particularly with its spa and racquetball court. I think it needs an overhaul and quickly. Until one happens, go somewhere else.

Room Tip: Higher floors are better, do not smell as much due to chlorine
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Stephen J
Scott R, General Manager at Heritage Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review the Heritage Hotel. I am glad that your rooms were to your liking, though I am sorry the rest of the property did not meet your expectations. We make every effort to provide excellent service in our rustic New England location. We will investigate why the fireplaces were not lit as well as the situation with the pool table in the game room. I am sorry you did not experience us at our best.

Thanks,

Reviewed December 27, 2013

My review may be a little different as my situation warranted an emergency stay at this hotel. When we called to arrange a stay the front desk was very accomodating. they arranged a room that was convienient to our situation and could accomodate our needs. They allowed us to check in early and also have a later than normal departure. This is mostly unheard of in today's non-personal hotel environment.
yes, this hotel is older and could use some freshening up. Possibly a few upgrades to the electrical plugs for internet users but the staff and the atmosphere certainly make up for it. The housekeeping personel went out of their way to make sure we had what we needed.
the room was quiet but I have to admit the hotel was not full capacity.
the room service was good and the food arrived hot and as ordered.
The indoor pool is beautiful (we did not use it) and there are several places to congregate other than staying in your room.
The TV in our room was HUGE
I would recommend this hotel- I would not be afraid to ask for a manager if you experience any issues or require special needs because based on our experience they will be as accomodating as possible, above any chain hotel that doesn't think outside the box with their patrons.

Room Tip: Accomodating Staff
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your kind words regarding our service during your emergency stay. We strive to provide every guest with superior service and I’m glad you felt welcomed, even if your stay with us was not planned. We hope you will think of us the next time you are in the area.

Reviewed November 24, 2013

We decided to celebrate my husband's 80th birthday by having a party in a restaurant. I found that the restaurants in the area wanted me to meet a high minimum number of guests, in order to have a private room.

Then I remembered the Heritage Hotel, and called Chris Allen, who arranges catered events. I learned that, since they're a conference center, they have a number of rooms that would accommodate a small party.

My husband and I enjoyed a Sunday brunch, and found the food to be excellent. We met with Chris, went over our unique menu (no meat, chicken or shell fish, absolutely nothing with meat or chicken stock, to accommodate family members who are kosher). She could meet those requirements , at a price that was far less costly than the local restaurants, and a much smaller required minimum number of guests.

I had many contacts with Chris over the months that we planned the party. When I called the hotel, I ALWAYS reached a live voice, and Chris was very available to me. She was amazing to work with, the party was extraordinary - a luncheon with 31 people, the room looked lovely, with their accommodating our request for an extra table for photos, and another one for our grandchildren and great-nephews to play games.

The wait step was on top of everything - available to us during the entire 4 hours, accommodating my requests for when food was served, and when the desserts would be uncovered. They were superb.

I would absolutely contact Chris and plan another catered event. I wouldn't even consider another place - it exceeded all of our expectations.

And above all, my husband was thrilled!

Our family members who stayed at the hotel were also pleased with their lodging experience.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Sandy B
Scott R, General Manager at Heritage Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2013

Thank you for your kind words and for taking the time to review the Heritage Hotel. Special events like yours are important to us and I am happy we were able to meet and exceed your expectations. We wish your husband a very happy birthday, and can’t wait to help you plan your next event – big or small.

All the best, Scott

Also consider these accommodations in or near Southbury
Wyndham Southbury
#1 of 15 in Danbury
Courtyard Waterbury Downtown
La Quinta Inn & Suites Danbury
Grace Mayflower Inn and Spa

Been to Heritage Hotel? Share your experiences!