“Good breakfast place”

The Red Cabin
Ranked #15 of 54 Restaurants in South Windsor
“Good breakfast place”
Reviewed December 1, 2013

Went to the Red Cabin on a Sunday morning for breakfast. The waitresses were friendly and very helpful, the food was pretty good and the owner even took the time to talk to us to see if everything was to our satisfaction. A friend of ours recommended the place and we also noticed that at some times the place is packed. Now we know why, if you want a good nice breakfast, don't look any further, the Red Cabin is the place to be.

• Visited December 2013
Laura P, Owner at The Red Cabin, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Thank you for coming into The Red Cabin. Also, thanks for taking the time to write your review. So often people just write reviews when they have something negative to say so we really appreciate your kind words. We look forward to seeing you soon.
Todd and Laura Pineo
Owners

“Cheap!”
Reviewed November 26, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I went about a year ago and I ordered the waffle special with a poached egg. THEY HAD TE NERVE TO SERVE FROZEN WAFFLES! I have a picture here somewhere of that disappointing trip and you can also see my review on yelp! The older blond lady was decently pleasant but deffaniltty not friendly. You can see in their refrigerator up front that their milks and juices are all cheap store brands. My husband got the Cabin Eggs Benny and it was so greasy he couldn't eat it, the eggs were under poached and there was so much butter on the bread that it oozed a he cut it! The holindase was also a cheap packet mix which was broken ( in other words it was grainey) I am a culinary school graduate and I would NEVER eat here again!

Laura P, Owner at The Red Cabin, responded to this review, November 28, 2013
First off, thank you for taking the time to write your review. We work really hard to provide our customers with great service and great food, so we were sorry to hear that you we did not meet your expectations. We value all input and we would like you to stop by and chat with us further.
Todd and Laura Pineo
South Windsor, Connecticut, United States
“Seriously sad that this is the main breakfast place in South Windsor”
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Would not even rate 1 star. The food is overpriced and is either tasteless or fake and strangely flavored. You can tell the home fries are cooked in cheap margarine or cooking spray and overly seasoned with paprika in what seems to be an attempt to mask the flavor. Horrible and unfriendly service. Just a weird aura of rudeness amongst nearly all of the employees (including the owner). It seriously seems as though they hire unfriendly people at this place on purpose or they just sincerely hate their job. Strange and surprisingly uninviting atmosphere when it's supposedly considered to be a family breakfast gathering type of place. I'm not even sure at all why it draws such a crowd except for being about one of the few places that serve breakfast in South Windsor. Obviously the people rating this place decently have not eaten at a good or even decent breakfast restaurant. You are much better off eating literally anywhere else. Don't stand or sit outside even for a minute at the picnic tables (even just by yourself) after the place has closed or you are likely to get shouted at and harassed by one of the employees (or the owner) if they happen to be in the area. Overall a terrible experience.

• Visited January 2013
Laura P, Owner at The Red Cabin, responded to this review, July 28, 2013
Wow, is my first response. I apologize for your experience. However, I do have a couple of questions for you and would really appreciate it if you could give me a call at the restaurant to discuss what happened that day, since I was personally was not there that day and my husband was in the kitchen cooking. So, I am not sure who you thought the owner was, but it was not me nor my husband. Whoever the person was that you thought was the owner, I apologize for their behavior. I can assure you that it is not the norm at The Red Cabin, nor is it acceptable. One other thing that I can assure you is that everything is cooked on our premises and that nothing is cooked in "cheap margarine". We use only the finest and fresh ingredients. I appreciate you taking the time for writing your review. Even though we have been open for almost seven years and have served thousands of people, many of whom have had a good experience since we have so many regular customers, there is always room for improvement. However, like I said I would really appreciate it if you could call me or my husband, Todd or Laura Pineo on a Monday to discuss your experience . Thanks again for your time. Sincerely, Laura Pineo
Manchester, Connecticut
“Unassuming but it delivers”
Reviewed July 17, 2013

The Red Cabin is nondescript and unassuming. The interior is decorated with sayings and aphorisms in a hokey kind of Americana way. One gets the impression the owners must be Evangelical Christians, even though religion isn't evident anywhere.

But all that is beside the point. Where the rubber meets the road is in the service and food, and the Red Cabin really exceeds all expectations. The bananas and walnut pancakes alone should make this place world famous.

On weekends arrive before 9am or else there will be a wait for a table.

• Visited June 2013
Laura P, Owner at The Red Cabin, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Thank you for visiting The Red Cabin and thank you for taking the time to write a review about our restaurant. We appreciate your kind words and look forward to meeting you and seeing you soon at The Red Cabin.
South Windsor, Connecticut
“Expensive and Nothing Special”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

On my last visit I ordered my usual sandwich only to find it had decreased in size. I asked if it was my imagination and was told no, it was smaller because of increased food costs. Perfectly understandable but I would gladly have paid slightly more (which I still did!) and received the original portion. Portion sizes have never been all that great as it is.
Hotcakes and Stir the Pot (East Windsor) are better choices.

• Visited May 2013
Laura P, Owner at The Red Cabin, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
First off, I apologize for your recent experience at The Red Cabin. We do have two different breakfast sandwiches. One is $1.99 and it is just one egg on a roll. We do offer another breakfast sandwich that comes with egg, your choice of meat and your choice of cheese. Our server misinformed you stating that our portions has decreased due to food costs, this simply is not true and again I apologize for our employee's statement. Please come into The Red Cabin and please ask for Todd or Laura and we will make sure that you get the correct sandwich at the right price. thank you.