“So many delicious menu choices!”
Review of 2 Hopewell

2 Hopewell
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Visited this restaurant for the 2nd time on Saturday night. The service was good, and the food was outstanding. We had menu options galore that we wanted to try. I had the halibut special - perfectly cooked- and the tuna appetizer was divine. For dessert, the chocolate mousse with lovely fresh berries is to die for! Highly recommend.

There are newer reviews for 2 Hopewell

Reviewed November 25, 2012

Regardless of whether you eat upstairs, nice dining rooms in a historic New England building, or downstairs, in a lively bar with live jazz you can't go wrong.
The restaurant sources locally, fish from the LI Sound, vegetables and fruit from Glastonbury farms so you know they are always serving the best and freshest.
The food is very American and prepared very creatively; who would think about paring pork belly and scallops, I'm glad they did.
If you decide to eat in the bar be aware that the live music does draw in a bit of a crowd so be prepared for a bustling and a bit tight venue.
Service is great and the owners are on site assuring that it stays that way..

Reviewed November 17, 2012

Six of us visited this wonderful establishment on a recent Saturday. There is plenty of parking in the rear and signs directing overflow to nearby churches for overflow. We had reservations and were seated when we arrived. It was busy, but our waitress took our drink order and we reviewed a very nice selection on their menu. I had the swordfish francaisé. The fish was lightly covered with the egg batter and moist inside. My wife enjoyed her selection of butternut squash lasagna. This meatless dish has layers of the butternut squash with ricotta, leeks, multiple cheeses cheese and mushrooms.

The music was provided by Jeff Wieselberg. He did a great job mixing the tunes from different decades. This night was enjoyed by all.

Reviewed November 12, 2012

My wife and i ate in the bar area- at which you need to be seated by a hostess- Saturday night. We each started with a Martini. Mine was the classic gin dirty. and she had the grapefruit one.The martinis were PERFECTLY prepared. Best gin martini i have had in months.
Our waiter was very attentive and accommodating. And quick to make recommendations.
We ordered the calamari app, it was horrible. Obviously frozen, very chewy and completely over-seasoned (salted). We couldn't finish it. We make it a point to try calamari at every restaurant we go to. It's out bellwether as to the quality. We believe that if you are going to put it on the menu you should know how to prepare it. We were hoping our server would ask how it was- especially when he removed a half eaten portion, but he never did.
I had a wedge salad. It was done exactly to my liking. Very delicious.The blue cheese and roasted nuts were very tasty and the lettuce was fresh and crisp. For entrees I had the beef tips and my wife had the swordfish; both were presented beautifully. Unfortunately they were very bland. They needed salt. It was disheartening to see that there was no salt on the table, in fact there was no salt on any table. I felt my portion size was small- lots of bits of meat in gravy. Well done as I wasn't given a preference.My wife was happy with her portion.
We opted to skip dessert and left after paying.
I rated this restaurant poor for a couple reasons:
With drinks (2 martinis and 2 glasses of wine) the billed topped out at about 130 before tip. The quality of the food just didn't warrant the high price.
While the server was attentive he never checked in as to the quality of the food. He didn't ask if we were enjoying it. Perhaps there was a reason for this.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Had dinner last night - was early and we were the only patrons at first. Very attentive staff. Had the calamari app - perfectly prepared. Crispy outside with just a little spice in the batter and the calamari was fresh, no chewy bits anywhere. Each of us had different entrees and all were happy with their choice. The vegetarian had relatively limited choices but was quite happy with the butternut squash lasagna. The scallop dish with lobster risotto was great and the tenderloin tips were melt in your mouth good. Had to squeeze in dessert as this was a birthday outing - the apple crepe, creme brulee and carrot cake were each met with approval. They let us linger for a couple hours without complaint, and the tavern section was full with other happy diners when we did eventually depart. Would definitely go back when in the area again.