“Outstanding!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Reservations, Waitstaff
Singer Island, Florida
“Outstanding!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

Great food and service located in a historic inn. I have been here many times and look forward to the next time. I can't remember ever having a bad cut of the prime rib.

• Visited November 2011
1 Thank nuguy93_12

Somers, Connecticut
“used to be a good restaurant”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

the chef is sub par- too bad for a nice town and great ambiance that they dont get a heavy hitter chef in there. prime rib, not good quality very fatty. stuffed shrimp way too much bread stuffing instead of seafood. with a new chef and re-do the menu this could be great there is no competition in the enfield, stafford, somers, ellington area. what gives??

Visited June 2012
2 Thank frequentdiner749
Franklin, Massachusetts
“My kind of place!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012

This is truly my kind of place! Historic, well-preserved, long-time family-owned... and even a "rumor" that George Washington once slept there. Add to that easy parking, an excellent, relaxing atmosphere, totally attentive service and how can you possibly beat that?

I won't pretend to know every last detail regarding the history of this place... but I know folks who do and it is quite interesting to me that it still exists so true to form to this day. It must cost a fortune to keep alive and clean this veritable living museum.

Yes, I am a near fanatic when it comes to well-preserved, truly historic restaurants. I'll admit that I wouldn't have even cared if the food was just so-so in such a grand and interesting setting... but, in fact, everything we ordered was steaming hot and very good. We can't wait to go back!

The basic dinner menu itself is a little pricy, but there are several ways to save on cost if so desired. There is a specially priced 4-course meal or you can eat outside where the menu is shorter and the items more modestly priced. Another alternative is the luncheon menu, also more moderately priced and every bit as good.

I'll close with my usual disclaimer that some folks might not appreciate the historic atmosphere of this place to the extent that I do. I understand that it is not for everyone. Likewise, the dinner prices might scare some people off as well. One should check out the menu on their website before going. But we had a good time and we will be going back. I can't get enough of unique places like this one.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Dougster2010
Chicopee, Massachusetts
“Four courses for $23 on Sundays!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2012

It has been years since my last visit to the Somers Inn but I was surprised when we arrived and found only a few cars in the parking lot. I worried that this was a bad sign but we went in anyway. The restaurant was part of the historic Inn that burned some 50 years ago.

We entered through the back door and up the stairs and through a lovely dining room looking for the hostess only to find none. A waitress found us and said that it was so slow they didn't need the hostess.

We sat on the charming enclosed porch overlooking Rte 83. I had gone to the restaurant looking forward to the roast duck with pear zinfandel sauce but was tempted by the Filet Oscar – filet mignon topped with asparagus, lobster and hollandaise sauce. It was served with choice of soups and sides. As always, I chose the homemade clam chowder, creamy mashed potatoes (served plain but you can ask for sour cream) and fresh cooked baby carrots. Presentation was lacking and the filet and lobster slightly over cooked but overall, was quite good. Raspberry cheese cake with raspberry sauce was a delightful ending to the meal.

My husband chose the 4 course meal offered at just $23 on Sundays. He chose seafood stuffed mushrooms as an appetizer, salad, spinach stuffed pork loin with cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes and baby carrots and chocolate cake for desert.

Soda was $3.25 for a small glass with refills. The meal was served with French rolls and cinnamon nut bread made on premises.

There is a small alleyway that they call a “courtyard” for out door dining but with its plastic tables and chairs, it lacks the charm of the restaurant.

Overall thoughts: A nice country restaurant for special dinners. The 4 course Sunday meal is a must try!

• Visited July 2012