“Beautiful and charming.”

Talcott Mountain State Park
Ranked #1 of 8 things to do in Simsbury
Reviewed November 12, 2012

I will go back here there was a beauty about this place that brought me peace. When I visited there wasnt too many people I felt like I had the whole place to myself.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

You can walk up the mountain on rocky surface which is a bit steep in beginning or drive around to the top. It took about 40 minutes to walk up + you need time if want to climb up to the tower (125 steps) The building/tower closes at 5pm so be sure to take this into consideration if you want to walk back before dusk. The leaves were gorgeous in October. Wear good shoes and take some water. There are bathrooms at the top that are clean

Reviewed October 25, 2012

This is always such a beautiful hike, and breathtaking in autumn. The first 10 minutes are relatively steep, but then it's essentially flat the rest of the way, so it's not too challenging a hike, even if you have toddlers in tow--people do it all the time.

2  Thank AngelaHansenPhotog
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I lived in CT for 28 years and never took this hike. I'm now visiting and it was on my list of things to do. When I arrived at the entrance there was a traffic jam as it was a weekend called the "Toot" and there were tons of people out since it was such a nice day. I almost drove away to come back on a weekday but found a parking space and took the hike. Steep in the beginning and then you are on the ridge walking towards the Heublein Tower which was open on the day I went (120 stairs up and great views in all directions). I took the blue trail down which was mostly a single walking trail and a small climb down a big boulder. It lands you just down the road from the park entrance so take a left when you get to the road to get back to your car. Great trail and more peaceful since there were so many people on this event day. Hang gliders have a take off point and were flying, too. I can't believe I didn't do this hike many years ago. So, if you live in CT and haven't done this hike, get out there and do it!

Reviewed October 20, 2012

The best hike in the area with amazing views. (OK I have to say more but this sums it up.). the first 1/2 mile is uphill with 15 to 25+ degree incline and can be challanging for some. The rest of the trail to the Hublein tower is along a ridge over 600 to 800 ft drop off to views of Simsbury and sometimes all the way up to Mount Tom! The Hublein Tower itself is very interseting and si a perfect picnic area with probably the best views in CT. It can be busy with other hikers but all are usually friendly and curteous. There are several trails the most used is the yellow and that is the best for the occasional hiker. If you want off the beaten path use the metacomet trail (blue blaze trail) from the Penwood Park parking area. The views aren't as spectacular but the trail is interesting. The trail is not well marked so suggest that you have a map and are experienced. If you want a real challanging hike take the Metacomet trail from the reservoir on Rt 44 on Avon Mountain to the Hublein tower to Penwood park and along the ridge to Tariffville and have a beer at the Cracker Barrel Pub to celebrate. This is my next hike but need a friend to be able to have transportation at both ends of the trail. It's at least a 15 mile hike. Overall rated moderate but has some above average very rocky grades. Not for the casual hiker.