“New owners, not so good anymore”
Review of Apollo's Pizza & Pasta - CLOSED

Cuisines: Pizza
Good for: Families with children
Good for: Families with children
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I'm so sorry to have to offer a negative opinion of our beloved Apollos. Apollos has been our favorite pizza stop for 25 years. New owners took over and it has quickly gone down hill. We had pizza yesterday, Labor Day, and it was awful. It wasn't busy at the restaurant so they can't give that as an excuse. The dough was gummy, and how could you possibly make tomato sauce without ANY flavor? The 20 minute wait turned into a 40 minute wait. We won't be going back there again. Looks like Little City or Luna from now on. I'm so sorry to see this happen to this Simsbury landmark.

2  Thank MimiSmith

Reviewed July 8, 2012

Apollo's used to be have consistantly great food no matter what you ordered- not any more- even the pizza was not great! new chef, new menu- but old regulars will be departing with the new changes!

2  Thank f00df00df00d
Reviewed May 30, 2012

We travelled 150 miles to eat at Apollo. My husband had a craving. When we arrived the manager was warm and friendly. She took extra time to sit with us and smooth over what turned out to a horrible experience. We were treated horribley by the waiter.

My son didn't deserve to be spoken to so rudely. And when I spoke up about it, the rude waiter made numerous excuses and no apologeis. I do not recommend this place if you are at all interested in being treated with respect.

You can get good food in a lovely place and be treated well elsewhere. It's possible to have it all. Why spend your hard earned money at APOLLO and walk out totally upset.

If the owner wants to stay in business, a professional wait staff is strongly suggested.

4  Thank Linda M
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Apparently, they sold the place, though the old owner is still on the premises. It used to be a nice intimate place where you could get all your favorite stand-by dishes. The new chef changed things up a bit and now their signature dishes are not so great anymore.
The pricing is still decent. the outdoor patio is fun, the inside is clean and well decorated. But the food has become so-so. We continued to try it despite two not so great experiences but after this last visit, I doubt we will return. We heard they are getting another new chef and have hopes that he/she will jazz things up and bring back the old signature dishes. I think we'll give it some time before we try it again. Sad to give it up after so many years of going. I can't help but wonder what the purpose is of keeping the previous owner on site if he doesn't have any input on the dishes served. Another thing we noticed was that it seemed that the new owner was trying to get people in by posting up big beer posters - what is that?? This used to be a place to go for reasonably proced fine dining, nice atmosphere, etc. The waitresses are very friendly and are a familiar face.

2  Thank Sugarjo62
Reviewed May 6, 2012

The grinders are the real thing here. My favorite is the genoa with everything, and my husband's is sausage and peppers with provolone or the meatball grinder. Add a Greek salad and I am happy! New pizza places are always opening in the area but you will always enjoy the pizza at Apollo's.