“Mid-Week Effort to Find Romantic Historic Bistro Falls Short”
Review of Metro Bis

Metro Bis
Ranked #3 of 54 Restaurants in Simsbury
Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 26, 2018

The reviews look good online but I was disappointed with the quality of the food, which was mediocre given the prices. The crab cake had very little crab and way too much breading, the bread with the meal was some tasteless pita and my salad was mundane. My dinner partner liked the meat loaf, but it was super rich. We split a lemon tart, but it was so sweet all I could taste was the sugar--no pleasing lemon bite.

We had solid service and the interior was somewhat charming but also more bland than I expected for such an historic spot. Everything I read led me to believe that we'd get an elegant high end meal that justified the cost of about $50 a person (modest ordering at that) but I've eaten at spots in the Greater Hartford area that receive no stars from publications like Hartford Magazine that are much better (and cheaper).

Date of visit: September 2018

Reviewed August 25, 2018

I've had several lunch and dinners here. Metro Bis is in the 1820 House, a grand old inn located in Simsbury center. It's a very nice area. The dining room is fresh and appealing and the service is very good, but the food ranged from very good to average depending on the visit. At one lunch, two of our entrees were too salty while the others were fine. Lunch is the better value, and considering the dinner pricing, it didn't live up to expectations.

Date of visit: December 2017
1  Thank johnatod
Reviewed August 25, 2018

Quaint atmosphere with great food, menu is always creative, service is great! Wish they had a real bar area for a cocktail, small bite and conversation.

Date of visit: October 2017
Reviewed August 22, 2018

A group of six of us dined at Metro Bis this week. Of course it is an amazing setting, and historically the food has been quite good. This time, it was not the case.

Appetizers were good: calamari with a daikon/carrot slaw and a hoisin-like dipping sauce; Beet salad, and heirloom tomato salad.

For the entree: Two ordered the trout. Two ordered the Duck Confit. One sirloin meatloaf, and one crab cake. All were described by the waitress as great choices (what else would she say).

Result: Confit was a bit dry over a wheat berry ragout that was described as "bland"; crab cakes seemed to have little crab (you'd do far better buying Phillips frozen cakes) over a "flavorless" potato hash (this guest searched hard for the crab in his dish!); trout on a sweet potato hash was decent; meatloaf was thought to be undercooked by this particular guest, but she was reluctant/shy to require that the kitchen cook it further (I thought it tasted OK). As we finished, I asked the table if they would make the same entree selection again? To which everyone replied "no".

Service was not the issue -- very attentive.

Bottom line -- this is perhaps the best venue in Simsbury, but there are far better kitchens nearby.

Date of visit: August 2018
1  Thank WWKelly
Reviewed August 7, 2018

I attended a baby shower here last week-end and was super impressed! First, the wait staff: from greeting guests in the parking lot to carry their packages to excellent service I rarely see anymore. Second, the management: it was nice to see Chris Prosperi, chef and owner, at the line serving the food! I know we have all had bad experiences with chain restaurants who care nothing about quality and service. They should take lessons from this guy!

Date of visit: August 2018

Been to Metro Bis? Share your experiences!