“Excellent Restaurant!!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Millwrights

Millwrights
Reserve with OpenTable
Millwrights is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 55 Restaurants in Simsbury
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Scenic view, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Waterfall Way
Description: With its unique setting perched atop a waterfall in Simsbury, Connecticut, Millwright's invites guests to dine in the 17th century mill with acclaimed Chef Tyler Anderson and his staff. Featuring daily-chosen farm ingredients, the freshest and most select product, proprietary cocktails, and exciting wine menu, Millwright's offers a new experience to the Farmington Valley dining scene. Our staff eagerly awaits your next visit...
“Excellent Restaurant!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

This is great restaurant!!! The food is extremely delicious and the service was amazing!!!
The wine list is also very good; we wanted to be surprised with somaliere's choice of the wine, and certainly we were with excellent bottle of red wine!
The whole experience was far beyond our expectation! I know that we will be going back very soon.

Hartford, Connecticut
“Excellent Food With Some Service Issues to Work Out”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

My husband and I originally made reservations for the Saturday following Valentine's Day. We were told that the only time they had left was 9:00 p.m. I took it, thinking that a restaurant of this caliber would not keep us waiting too long. The only table we were shown after a half hour of waiting was down in the basement off the tavern, in a room that was packed to capacity. It was about as large as an end table and right near the door. It was clearly their version of that one table every in every restaurant that no one wants. We elected to wait for a better table but after another half hour of waiting and still no table, we decided to leave. I ended up having to contact the head Maitre d', Brent, who was gracious about it and did his best to make it up to us. We rescheduled our dinner for mid week in early March. I wanted to give the place a second chance given the rave reviews about the food.

Well, the food and the service overall did not disappoint. The butternut squash soup was excellent. It's not easy to pair apple with squash and not muddy both flavors, but this soup managed to make each flavor stand out on its own. I also very much enjoyed the smoked salmon Rillette and foie gras appetizer as well, although I felt that the tart cherry puree didn't live up to my expectations as a contrast to the foie. My husband had the pork entree, which consisted of loin and crispy pork belly over Brussels Sprouts. I had the Duo of beef, which consisted of strip steak and short rib. Both entrees were phenomenal.

Why people complain about the portion sizes here is beyond me, unless they are more accustomed to dining at places like "Hometown Buffet" than fine dining establishments. My husband and I are originally from NY, and have dined in some of the finest restaurants in the country if not the world going back several decades. Both the quality and the quantity of the food Millwright's are in a league with most of those restaurants, and that is no small praise coming from us. I am thinking of places like Jean Georges, Aureole, Gotham Bar and Grill, etc., etc. Then again, I would not put this restaurant on a level with Le Bernardin, but let's face it, we're getting into the stratosphere with such comparisons, plus the difference in the quality of the food between the two is pretty minute. I would have to say that this restaurant ranks up there with some of the best (if not THE best) food I've had in Connecticut. I've eaten at On 20 in Hartford, and while that was very good too, I feel that the creativity and execution are a little better here. Just my preference, I suppose.

The service overall was excellent, although we were there on a not-so-busy night. Jeff, our server, was the best, and handled us like the pro that he is. We never felt we waited too long for anything and everything was just as we asked for it.

The only issue I have with this restaurant is the fact that it seems to over-book itself and then blame the guests for staying too long and not freeing up tables. I am still smarting over my first experience there, and I'm being more than kind in this review in not slamming them harder for it. I just think they need to work out their seating kinks because I have seen more than a few reviews from people who have taken off a lot of points for the long wait. Truthfully, not seating people an hour after their reservation time is just inexcusable in a restaurant of this class, and if they don't work it out soon, it is going to stand in the way of their getting the reputation they deserve. This restaurant should be much higher than #9 on the list of restaurants in Simsbury. Just sayin'.

After leaving without being seated on that first night I found out from someone who knows someone there that on that night, in addition to the special Valentine's Day menu they also had a wine tasting dinner going on at the same time. We theorized that this was not a good idea on a night when they would have a lot of reservations because of Valentine's. But honestly, given the amount of reviews from other people on this and other sites where they waited 45 minutes to an hour, this doesn't just happen there under extenuating circumstances. After I read other reviews from people who were also there on that same first night after Valentine's, I found out that at least one party who had reservations at the same time as ours were seated after 15 minutes. We were there 15 minutes early so why was anyone seated that soon who had a reservation for the same time as we did? What can I say? My BS meter is going off. It looks to me like either some people get preference or someone is just not paying attention and people get lost in the shuffle. I want to believe in this place but I admit I am still skeptical about their inconsistent seating. Maybe it will take a few more visits with good experiences to get over this. Anyway, don't let this seating kink put you off - Go there, because the food is definitely worth it. And ask for Jeff if you can, he is the best.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Ntuitive1
Rhode Island
“Good but needs improvement”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

We had a birthday celebration there last Saturday. Nice water view! The food was tasty but over priced for the quality and service. Also asked for medium rare meat but it came well done. Not god for steak! There are many restaurants of higher quality in Simsbury. We will not be going back.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank museumgirl53
“We went home hungry”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

The service was terrible. We had to ask for silverware. Water and bread were never served. We had to ask for the appetizer, which arrived after the meal was served. The waiter was almost absent. The food is average and overpriced. The portions are extremely small. We all left hungry and went home to eat. After more than one visit we won't be returning.

6 Thank John T
CT
“The meal that wasn't!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013

Five of us looked forward to eating at this well reviewed restaurant in suburban Simsbury, CT. We arrived at 8 pm on a Saturday night for an 8:30 reservation, thinking to have drinks before dinner.
By 9:20, not having been seated in this 140 seat restaurant, we upped and left. Running a top notch eatery is not without difficulties, but this not augur well for Millwrights' future

9 Thank bernandgale