“Carriage house sweet. Great town. I'll be back.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Simsbury 1820 House

Simsbury 1820 House
Ranked #1 of 3 Simsbury B&B and Inns
Bronxville, New York
“Carriage house sweet. Great town. I'll be back.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

Stayed in two rooms in the carriage house. My husband in one & our teen sons in the other. Very comfortable. Lots of space. Nice people in town & working at the inn. Loved the old graveyard nearby & the Irish pub across the street - lots of good food & things to see with walking distance. Hiking trails nearby that we didn't have time for but will return again - we had a graduation at nearby avon old farms school & the distance was fine...we'd stayed closer in Avon in the past - really fell in love with simsbury.

• Stayed May 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Long Branch, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

I have been to Simsbury many times but my stay on jan 18 was the 1st time I stayed at the Simsbury 1820 House. What a pleasant stay! The inn is very charming, the staff was very friendly, our room was cozy and the bed was extremely comfortable. We only stayed overnight but had a very nice complimentary continental breakfast before checking out.. The next time I am in Simsbury, I will definitely book the Simsbury 1820 House. I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a quaint New England inn experience.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
milwaukee, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2013

The 1820 Simsbury house was a great, offbeat hotel that offered everything else a chain hotel offers, but with more charm, grace, and comfort. It definitely felt like I was in a bed and breakfast with the family catering to my needs.
I highly recommend it.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Colebrook, New Hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013 via mobile

I was very please with this lovely old mansion manor...

I was warmly welcome at this little intimate inn by the manager... There was still some customer eating at their restaurant and a nice aroma was flying around... Great food ;-) too bad I had diner before...

This is an old manor so don't expect modern service such as an elevator... I had to climb 3 stories with several stairs to access my room with all my luggages ;-)

The lady at the front desk was lovely... She gave me extra internet code for all my devices... Internet was slow but ok for basic browsing and emails...

Since there is no fridge in the rooms, they let me use their small fridge :-) very kind :-)

I loved the room!!! Great bed and great rustic feel & look...

Look at my pictures they worth 5000 words!!!

Thanks for everything!!!

• Stayed October 2013
NYC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

We have stayed here a few times while visiting family and prefer it to the other less distinctive hotels in the area. The 1820 house is located within walking distance of restaurants and stores. It is a historic house with antique furniture and nice canopy beds. It's not totally modern and generic like a hotel, and you don't feel like your staying at someone's house like many B&B's. Its like you have an elderly Aunt who still owns the family mansion and let's you stay when you are in town. Much of our family prefers the more hotel-like places nearby. we like the character and uniqueness of the 1820 House.
this time we were traveling with our infant daughter and everyone was very welcoming to her and went out of their way to accommodate our needs. They provide a real crib, not a pack n play. It has a soft mattress and even a nice crib bumper. They even made sure we'd have a room that had enough space for all of us.
We did not bring our dog this time but have in the past. The dog friendly rooms are in the carriage house across the parking lot. Unlike in many hotels, these rooms are just as nice as in the main house. Some even have a small, but nice outdoor patio area. Because of the outdoor space we prefer staying here even when we don't have a dog with us.
The breakfast is adequate, not great. It's convenient to have right there in site. They are renovating now to include a good local restaurant, so this will improve the place even more.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank RoadTrp
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

A business conference in Bloomfield, CT, in mid-April, gave our group of associates an opportunity to chose hotel accommodations, that is, as Frost described, "one less traveled by", if you will. Travelers now have a myriad of choices to choose from, not just your run-of-the-mill chain hotels that your administrative assistant will book. And to quote Frost's Road Not Taken, one last time, "And that has made all the difference" in the hospitality business.

The 1820 House is not your typical hotel. This beautiful home has been repurposed as a bed & breakfast. This is not a boutique hotel so, for me, this was a first time staying at this classification, either as a business or leisure traveler. After the hotel shuttle picked me up at the airport, and as the driver pulled in its drive way, I was a bit nervous at the look of the home, as it brought back images of old, New England homes featured in some B-movie horror flick (I had not seen pictures of the property and my business associate who booked our rooms just said it was "different"; it didn't help that it was a bit gray that day). However, once I entered the front door, and greeted by the receptionist, my anxiousness washed away with a kind smile and greeting. The main lobby was historically beautiful. I can still hear the creaks on the floor as I shifted my weight, I could smell a century of history worn on its carpet runners, walls, stairs, breath after breath. It was different, in a very nice way, like being warmly greeted by a good friend to their home, or coming home to your childhood home after years of being away from it.

The room I had was a large and beautiful. The four-poster bed was very comfortable and I had some of the best night sleep that I could remember. There was an adjacent sun or sitting room that made it feel even larger, as well as a patio. The heater kept the room cozy through the cool night and crisp mornings. The bathroom was nice and worked perfectly. Though, there were some slight imperfections in the paint or peeling wallpaper, I dismissed that as character and history, though I could understand how others may view that. This was a homey room, a well-lived room, one where I felt like I was guest in someone's home. It was comforting and I enjoyed the three nights there.

In closing, the Simsbury 1820 House is a wonderful alternative to the rut of typical chain hotels. It is warm, cozy, and homey! It has changed my view of what a typical hotel should be.

Business Travelers: No fitness room, pool, bar, or dining, room service; has wireless internet and airport shuttle. Shuttle also takes guests to their sister property, The Simsbury Inn, where a pool, restaurant, and other amenities reside.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank CI8TCeeR
Uckfield, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

I stayed here recently during a trip from the UK. There was everything you need for a comfortable stay. The breakfast was good with a wide choice to suit all tastes. The bedrooms were big but we did feel the paintwork inside and out was in need of a little updating to improve the overall appearance. A minor issue that did not impact on our stay. I would certainly recommend this hotel and its convenient location.

Room Tip: We had 2 rooms on the first floor which were very nice.