“very modern and everything was sparkling clean”

Hampton Inn by Hilton Shelton
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Shelton
GreenLeadersBronze level
Danbury, Connecticut
“very modern and everything was sparkling clean”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2013

This hotel is very upscale with new furnishings.
It has a great pool with a slide.
There is a free selection of flavored teas and coffees in the lobby and a nice seating area.
Hampton offers a great price and is cheaper than other similar hotels in the area.
It is super clean which is most important to me.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Turkish first
Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

I stayed one night in Shelton CT for a business trip, and chose this Hampton as I have always enjoyed my stays at other Hampton Inns. I have stayed at this particular hotel before, when it was owned by a different company (cannot recall it at this time). This stay did not disappoint. The hotel is more "upscale" than other Hamptons, and is central to much of busy Bridgeport Ave. It was very quiet despite the location, and the bed was very comfortable. The actual bedroom area is a bit cramped, but there is a separate area for the living room. The check-in and check-out procedures are very quick and easy. The staff was very good, and since I had no complaints I cannot say how responsive they would be to complaints...but if their attitude during my stay is any indicator, then they would have been very good in this regard too. Also, the nightstand had an electrical outlet right on the top...great for charging cell phones without having to reach behind furniture looking for an outlet. I do have a few small gripes...but this is common to any Hampton I have stayed at. The hot breakfast is free...but the food quality is adequate at best. Perhaps I shouldn't complain too much...it is free...but as they say...you get what you pay for!! Also, there is a snack area where you can purchase things you may have forgotten, or a late night snack. If you do, watch the prices...they are very high priced. You pay for convenience in this case. Other people from my company travel to Shelton often, and since this property became a Hampton, I recommend it. I would definitely stay here again...but I will remember to bring snacks with me.

Room Tip: Room position relative to the Bridgeport Ave didn't seem to be a big concern. Bring snacks if y...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Trumbull, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013

From the moment we stepped into the lobby to when we checked out, your staff made sure that we were comfortable and happy. We were impressed with the cost of the room compared to other hotels in the area, and what we received as part of the whole package - free internet, free buffet breakfast, large bedroom with a huge additional separate sitting area with a couch, desk, microwave and refrigerator - for HALF the price they charged. I haven't been in a Hampton Inn before, but if this is what they all are like, I'm hooked! I just wish that I knew that there was an indoor pool, or I would have brought my swimsuit!

Please continue what you're doing. So many hotels have tried to go "5 star" and failed and they are dirty, noisy, have small rooms, and nickle and dime you for every last thing. You were a breath of fresh air during a time when we needed it, as we were there for my grandmother's funeral. Thank you for giving us a home away from home.

Room Tip: I don't know if all rooms have the additional living room but ask for it!!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Galesburg, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2013

This hotel has made me switch to Hampton Inn as my budget hotel of choice when traveling. I was given an upgraded room without asking, and the hotel staff were extremely pleasant. The most important thing to me is cleanliness in a hotel, and I have absolutely no complaints. I would have paid more for a room that nice (but don't tell them that :). Great stay!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

Stayed here one night on our way to JFK airport as a rest stop. The place was very clean. Our room was great. The time we went it was very quiet, we spent alot of time in the indoor pool, all to ourselves =), the slide was fun, it was a little nerve wrecking at first to see that it actually goes outside the builing (it is an enclosed slide), since it was cold outside I thought it would be cold in there, but not at all. We ended up going by to the nearby mall (HUGE!), but other than that we didnt do much in the area since we were on our way to JFK.
The only bad thing I got to experience is... the breakfast. Overall there is not much to choose from, just fries and eggs (or at least thats what it looked like- it tasted like...you dont wanna know), cereal, coffee, oatmeal, fruits, and waffels =/. Seriously, the place looks nice at checkin, the rooms are great, the indoor pool is nice, but the breakfast was blaaaaaaaa. You can do better than that.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank maregy21
Trumbull, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

Recently States here because our furnace died. I was very impressed. Not sure if they recently remodeled but rooms were very nice. The hotel is pet friendly and does not charge a fee. Thank you very much. Breakfast is included. My only suggestion is to clean pool everyday. It is well used. The kids love the slide. I would definitely recommend this hotel. Based on this visit I will try other Hamptons.

• Stayed January 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

The Hampton Inn in Shelton, CT was a pleasant experience for my husband and me. It was not only quiet, clean, but fresh and up-to-date. The bed was quite comfortable (more and more important to us in our travels). The room lighting was good enough for reading.

The only negative was the complimentary breakfast. I had never seen scrambled eggs shaped like little cubes. Otherwise, there was the standard fare; all very bland. But it WAS complimentary! Next time, we'll probably stay there, if the price is right, but skip the complimentary part of the stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shelton
HYATT house Shelton
Courtyard Shelton
#4 of 6 in Shelton
Hyatt Place Milford/New Haven
Residence Inn Shelton Fairfield County

Been to Hampton Inn by Hilton Shelton? Share your experiences!